Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

1 down but a better performance from us tonight. Might snatch a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

eh i dunno wrote: »
    1 down but a better performance from us tonight. Might snatch a draw

All over 2-0 to Spurs,Assou Ekkoto scored a great goal.Poor performance from Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

zerks wrote: »
    All over 2-0 to Spurs,Assou Ekkoto scored a great goal.Poor performance from Everton.

There was a deflection off Cahill. Everton were resolute. Lots of possession in the Spurs half, especially in the first half but no creativity without Osman, Rodwell, Coleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Can't take anything out of that. No fight in the team. I'm adding Bily to the list of players who need to **** off.

Chasing shadows all night. I've said it a few times here but it really will be a long season. Need to get to 40 points asap. 6 pointer this weekend away to villa

50% - A team has failed to get a shot on target 6 times in the Premier League this season & 3 of those occasions it has been Everton

Says it all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Lumbo wrote: »
    Can't take anything out of that. No fight in the team. I'm adding Bily to the list of players who need to **** off.

I'm shocked any Everton fan wouldn't already have had him on their list

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I'm shocked any Everton fan wouldn't already have had him on their list

I've never rated him but now I think he's become a liability.

Tell me its a bad dream....Darron fuucking Gibson :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Tell me its a bad dream....Darron fuucking Gibson :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Supposedly doing his medical at the moment

amiable wrote: »
    Supposedly doing his medical at the moment

Of all the players in the prem he'd in my top ten of lads i wouldn't want. Hoping he fails the medical. Should be spending whatever tiny budget we have on a striker

Its not just the fact that its Gibson that baffles me, but the fact that he's not putting every penny he gets towards a striker amazes me

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Its not just the fact that its Gibson that baffles me, but the fact that he's not putting every penny he gets towards a striker amazes me

Must be giving Man U first option on Rodwell/Barkley as part of the deal. Still cant believe we'd buy a central midfielder over a striker. Fellaini, Osman, Cahill, Rodwell, Barkley even Heitinga give us plenty of cover in there

Must be giving Man U first option on Rodwell/Barkley as part of the deal. Still cant believe we'd buy a central midfielder over a striker. Fellaini, Osman, Cahill, Rodwell, Barkley even Heitinga give us plenty of cover in there

This is what I don't get. Fellaini, Rodwell and Barkley have the potential to be one of the strongest centre midfield's in the league. There's absolutely no need for a player like Gibson, particularly when a striker is so obviously what's missing. The fact that Cahill has been played up front demonstrates how strong the midfield is relative to there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Neither Fellaini or Rodwell are creative and Barkley probably won't be an automatic starter for another 2 years.

Seen it mentioned in a couple of places that we're still talking to Manure about taking Diouf on loan. Dud!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

OK OK its a done deal and he is now an Everton player so lets get behind him.
    Believe me its not my idea of a good signing.
    But he may be a useful player for a team like Everton. If he gets a run in the team and Moyes plays him in a more attacking CM role who knows he might come out of himself and show the potential that Fergie saw in him.
    At the very least it will be interesting to see how he gets on. I know we don't have the money to be buying players for just that reason but at the very least its another body.
    Lets not slate the man before he kicks a ball for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I think it's a crazy signing, nothing against him personally but we do not need more midfielders in our squad! He might end up a great addition to the squad and I welcome players with potential to become successful with us but right now we need someone up front to score goals!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

SickBoy wrote: »
    I think it's a crazy signing, nothing against him personally but we do not need more midfielders in our squad! He might end up a great addition to the squad and I welcome players with potential to become successful with us but right now we need someone up front to score goals!!!

Maybe he is in the process of buying a striker as well??

It's been so long since we've bought a player who could go into the first team that I don't really know what to say in this situation.

• Advertisement

They're not mutually exclusive!

It's not fantasy football. You sign players you want as they become avaialble to you, not in the order you need them! The £500,000 payment we have given Man Utd shouldn't impact on our ability to sign a striker, which was very difficult to begin with and is still difficult.

Plus, yes we do need midfielders! The only chances we're creating are coming from crosses out wide which are mostly poor crosses at that. We have NOTHING thru the middle. Teams know if they keep Baines quiet, and Drenthe the odd time he's on, they're a long way to beating Everton cos our front players won't get frequent service from Hibbert/Neville or from Coleman or from Bily or whever is in the wide midfield positions...and there's nothing thru the middle!

Gibson does get assists! In PL football alone, he has made one every 296 minutes for Man utd. Thats without a run (although they do have better players to finish his assists than we have granted)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'd give Gibson a shot before we judge, he has never had a decent run of games for United, maybe some consistent competitive football will bring out the best in him. He isn't afraid to have a crack from distance, he is capable of good passing - I reckon we should trust Moyes judgement on this. On the con side he has no defensive mentality whatsoever and he is liable to panic when closed down by defenders. But I think we should give him 5 or so games and then judge the desicion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Laois_Man wrote: »
    They're not mutually exclusive!

It's not fantasy football. You sign players you want as they become avaialble to you, not in the order you need them! The £500,000 payment we have given Man Utd shouldn't impact on our ability to sign a striker, which was very difficult to begin with and is still difficult.

Plus, yes we do need midfielders! The only chances we're creating are coming from crosses out wide which are mostly poor crosses at that. We have NOTHING thru the middle. Teams know if they keep Baines quiet, and Drenthe the odd time he's on, they're a long way to beating Everton cos our front players won't get frequent service from Hibbert/Neville or from Coleman or from Bily or whever is in the wide midfield positions...and there's nothing thru the middle!

Gibson does get assists! In PL football alone, he has made one every 296 minutes for Man utd. Thats without a run (although they do have better players to finish his assists than we have granted)

Look don't get me wrong. I'm all for giving the guy a chance, I did say I have nothing against him but we don't need another midfield player, the priority should be to get a striker.
    Regarding the comment about fantasy football, I do realise it's not fantasy football but you are the one who made comments about the fact that he gets assists. Well anyone who knows anything about fantasy football will tell you that you don't get assists unless someone actually scores the chance you provide for them.

Look don't get me wrong. I'm all for giving the guy a chance, I did say I have nothing against him but we don't need another midfield player, the priority should be to get a striker.
    Regarding the comment about fantasy football, I do realise it's not fantasy football but you are the one who made comments about the fact that he gets assists. Well anyone who knows anything about fantasy football will tell you that you don't get assists unless someone actually scores the chance you provide for them.

Point taken. But I'll repeat. Yes we do need midfielders and we have no creativity thru the middle.

By the same logic as yours, you don't score goals unless someone actually creates the chance you score from.

It's 2 problems. You're only recognising the existence of one!

Everton XI v Aston Villa: Howard, Neville, Heitinga, Duffy, Baines, Donovan, Fellaini, Gibson, Drenthe, Cahill, Saha.

Need a win. For all the abuse i've given the singing of Gibson i'd still love to see him score.

I think a draw away to Villa is a good result considering that we haven't enjoyed much success against them in recent times - nice to see Victor on the scoresheet again, maybe the answer to our scoring problem has been at the club all along...... (cue tumbleweed...)

Decent display but should have been 2 up after half an hour. Badly need a striker though and would love to keep Landon. Motm for me. Duffy was solid and Gibson was decent too

Rumours of Sol Campbell on trial.............please dont make us any more of a joke :mad:

Rumours of Sol Campbell on trial.............please dont make us any more of a joke :mad:

Don't believe that one.

This one is probably true however. Edson Buddle, a 30 year old American striker currently playing in the German 2nd division is arriving at Goodison for a trial! According to his agent that is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edson_Buddle

Exciting times!

I see we're being continuosly linked with Kalou of Chelsea also. Even tho it would be great. And even tho he's out of contract in June, and even tho Chelsea don't seem to want him, I can't see it happening!

Don't believe that one.

This one is probably true however. Edson Buddle, a 30 year old American striker currently playing in the German 2nd division is arriving at Goodison for a trial! According to his agent that is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edson_Buddle

Exciting times!

I see we're being continuosly linked with Kalou of Chelsea also. Even tho it would be great. And even tho he's out of contract in June, and even tho Chelsea don't seem to want him, I can't see it happening!

A journeyman US striker who's 30 and in the german second division? And only 10 caps for the US in 10 years.

Kalou is no world beater but better than what we have. Doubt we'd get him tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I believe Sol Campbell was there to do his coaching badges or something to that affect.

Vellios with a hat trick in the 1st half tonight for the reserves. Worth another start on sat for Saha with Donavon and Drenthe providing?

Vellios with a hat trick in the 1st half tonight for the reserves. Worth another start on sat for Saha with Donavon and Drenthe providing?

I'm still not sure about starting him but if we're bringing him on, he should be given enough time to make an impact.

Saha is finished. It's the longest uninjured run I can remember him having in the side and I'd expect Hibbert to score before he does.

http://www.ftbpro.com/reader/11971/toffees-sweet-on-american-sky-sports#

Confirmed by his agent that Buddle is on trial with us... methinks Landon Donovan has a lot to answer for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

http://www.ftbpro.com/reader/11971/toffees-sweet-on-american-sky-sports#

Confirmed by his agent that Buddle is on trial with us... methinks Landon Donovan has a lot to answer for...

I think he was on trial at West Ham last year also. They didn't sign him up obviously.

New rumours that Tim Cahill has also recommended one of his hard up international striker team mates, Brett Holman, and that he has already been in discussions with Everton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Holman

Can't see AZ letting Holman go, they're top of the league and he's one of their better players.

Out of contract in the summer so will be on a free. Sign him up. Anyone hear anything about Davie Weir returning in a player/coach role? Still lives on Merseyside

Nice to see Mr. Cahill bang one in, even if the assist was extremely dodgy...

• Advertisement

Nice to see Mr. Cahill bang one in, even if the assist was extremely dodgy...

Badly needed that goal. Poor performance so far

Terrible again today. Despite the 8 point difference, unless we start putting in performances, we'll get sucked into the relegation battle.

Howard, Neville, every player across midfield, Saha and even Cahill despite his goal were all unacceptably below par today.

However I still think that a new focal point up front will do wonders to revitalize the team. My sense is the whole team feels hopeless bursting a gut getting forward only for it all to fall assunder in the final third. 10 days to go in the transfer market and I really hope we can pull some new forward player out of somewhere. One that is already good and ready to start every PL game!

Howard, Neville, every player across midfield, Saha and even Cahill despite his goal were all unacceptably below par today.

However I still think that a new focal point up front will do wonders to revitalize the team. My sense is the whole team feels hopeless bursting a gut getting forward only for it all to fall assunder in the final third. 10 days to go in the transfer market and I really hope we can pull some new forward player out of somewhere. One that is already good and ready to start every PL game!

Agreed, but we can't just hope that a new striker will solve all our problems, we have been outplayed by far too many of the so-called relegation candidates, a draw at home to a Yukubu-less Blackburn is not a great result by any stretch of the imagination....

Agreed, but we can't just hope that a new striker will solve all our problems, we have been outplayed by far too many of the so-called relegation candidates, a draw at home to a Yukubu-less Blackburn is not a great result by any stretch of the imagination....

Nobody on Earth has said or would say that was a good result. We've actually had the majority of possession in most games this season and did again today. The problem is our possession goes nowhere cos the players don't have a credible focal point in attack.

I'm too depressed with the current state of affairs to even type too much about it. It's despairing and there doesn't seem to be any quick turnaround :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

Looks like Bily is offski.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/7450795/Bilyaletdinov-set-for-Spartak

The rumour mill has us linked with Nedum Onuoho and Fiorentina's Allesio Cerci. Does anyone reckon Moyes will get any of the Bily money to spend and if he does who'd you like him to bring in??

Rumoured fee is 5m, so no, it will end up in BK's magic "investment fund"

Saw a tweet linking us with Ricky Lambert :(

jpjc05 wrote: »
    Looks like Bily is offski.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/7450795/Bilyaletdinov-set-for-Spartak

The rumour mill has us linked with Nedum Onuoho and Fiorentina's Allesio Cerci. Does anyone reckon Moyes will get any of the Bily money to spend and if he does who'd you like him to bring in??

Finally we've got rid of Billy. A disaster :mad:
    Onuoha would be a decent signing but not now when a striker is the priority
    Voltwad wrote: »

Anyone would be an improvement on Saha and the 3/4 clowns we have calling themselves strikers at the moment.#

Anyone looking to talk Everton on Facebook feel free to like this group https://www.facebook.com/irishevertonians

Its for Irish Toffees and somehow im an admin since last week :pac:

Voltwad wrote: »

Who?

• Advertisement
Advertisement