Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

BREAKING: #Everton have signed Argentine striker Denis Stracqualursi on season-long loan. #efc
    3 minutes ago

Even better....

philmcnulty Phil McNulty
    Everton have signed Argentine striker Denis Stracqualursi on season-long loan and Drenthe confirmation expected soon. #bbcfootball
    4 minutes ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

DJ1878 David
    by lcabbabeh
    Drenthe confirmed by Real realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/e…
    2 minutes ago

That's the one i was waiting for.

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/es/1330065350819/noticia/ComunicadoOficial/Comunicado_oficial_2011-09-01.htm

Think we've suffered enough today lads :mad: 16/1 to go down is the number bet on Paddy Power now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Its time for this board to step down, and an interim board to be introduced to sell the club.

Kenwright, the **** out

Jeez lads. Arteta is good but he is not that good. He will be missed,but relegation?...knee jerk.

It's not the loss of Arteta but the way it was done. Where will the money go? The banks? Just disappear? Time for scrutiny

Voltwad wrote: »
    It's not the loss of Arteta but the way it was done. Where will the money go? The banks? Just disappear? Time for scrutiny

Truth is no one knows for sure yet. Although things are not looking good behind the scenes at Goodison at the moment we still have a pretty decent squad, albeit a bit small.

Does this mean Barkley will be moved in to the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

james beattie released by rangers today too....
    would be a decent enough pay per play. thought he worked hard when he was there before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

james beattie released by rangers today too....
    would be a decent enough pay per play. thought he worked hard when he was there before.

Scraping the barrel there. He'd struggle to do a Championship side justice imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

With Arteta gone now at least we will let Baines take all free kicks now.
    I used to cringe when Arteta used to line up beside Baines when a free was presented just outside the 18 yard box.

Corners too. Arteta was quite poor on these so let's hope we have someone better than him.

I am sad he has left but as an Everton fan I am used to us selling our best players all the way back to Linekar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cant blame Arteat for going and best of luck to him.

But in fairness he missed alot of last season and his form as been very poor lately. We survived well last year without him and other players will just need to pick things up.

As for Kenwright, i just wonder is it he cant sell or wont?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Arsenal in Arteta are getting a class player. Best player I think I've seen to grace the Everton shirt. From a logical point of view, it's a good deal for Everton. 10 million for a 29/30 year old that hasn't been great since coming back from injury isn't the worst. Only problem is though that it'll go to the banks ;-) Oh well.... I wish him all the best as he has given 6 and a half of the best years of his career to Everton and you can't blame the guy for "wanting to move" (see next paragraph) on for his last big contract of his career... The injury did change him, but in recent games at the tail end of last season/start of this season you could see glimpses of the Arteta of old. I wish him all the best and he'll always be welcomed back at Goodison. I hope when we play Arsenal that he gets the reception and respect that he deserves...

Apparently when he was leaving Goodison last night, he was asked if he wanted to leave and shook his head in a "no" motion... The bid came in and I very much guess that he was told he was being sold ala Big Dunc to keep the bank happy. This hasn't been the first time that a player has been asked by the club to submit a transfer request and make it look like they wanted to leave...

I think this transfer window is the last straw for fans with Kenwright. There is only so much of his nonsense that they can put up with. Bill has been trying to do the right thing all these years, but he just doesn't have the capability. He needs to move aside now and hand the club over to an interim board to find a buyer and it needs to be done today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Apparently when he was leaving Goodison last night, he was asked if he wanted to leave and shook his head in a "no" motion... The bid came in and I very much guess that he was told he was being sold ala Big Dunc to keep the bank happy. This hasn't been the first time that a player has been asked by the club to submit a transfer request and make it look like they wanted to leave...

That's absolute bollox. It played out exactly as it's been reported. Arteta asked to leave. End of.

• Advertisement

Lumbo wrote: »
    That's absolute bollox. It played out exactly as it's been reported. Arteta asked to leave. End of.

The clubs had been in negotiations for the transfer before he was even informed about it. He was being sold either way...

Quotes from the man himself:
    New Arsenal signing Mikel Arteta admits he had to seize the chance to quit Everton for a new challenge and he did not feel he let down his former employers with the manner of his exit.
    The Spaniard's late decision to force through a transfer on Wednesday night when the Toffees had initially turned down a £10million bid from the Gunners somewhat soured his exit.
    Manager David Moyes had no intention of selling the 29-year-old but once it became clear Arteta was agitating for a move the Scot quickly decided he did not want to keep an unsettled player.
    The only down side was it came so late it gave Everton no chance to find an adequate replacement.
    But Arteta insists he gave his all to the club while he was there and hoped fans remembered that.
    "It is a big opportunity for me and my family and I think it is the right time for me to take it," he said.
    "It is a big challenge, a different challenge, fresh for me and I want to see myself on the biggest stage, the Champions League.
    "I am 29 years old so I haven't got much time left to take a chance like this one. I think I have done my best for Everton.
    "I always try hard, I have been as professional as I could and I was grateful for the support and the love that the club and the fans showed me."
    "It is very difficult to say goodbye. I still can't believe it but at the same time I think it is the right moment for everyone," he told evertontv.
    "That is the way football is, there is always a start and an end and today is the end of probably the best time of my career. I am never going to forget it.
    "It has been crazy. I can't believe what happened, and the way it happened but as I said, that is part of football and I am going to be playing for another club soon.
    "Obviously I am never going to forget what I have done here and what the people and this club have done for me."

ITK's have been reporting this is how it happened since yesterday.

HE ASKED TO LEAVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i think everton done some good business yesterday tbh

stracqualursi could make them a fortune

how much per letter on a jersey?:p

Quotes from the man himself:

ITK's have been reporting this is how it happened since yesterday.

HE ASKED TO LEAVE

and you believe everything that comes out of Kenwright/Goodison Park?

If an offer from a club like arsenal comes in you consider it indeed and he has gone. Nothing can be done about that now, but the club set this up. If the deal hadn't first of all been arranged by Everton and an adequate offer made by Arsenal, Arteta would still be an Everton player.

Did he decide he wanted to leave on the last day of the transfer windows? I think not. If he wanted to go, he would have done it earlier and not signed a 5 year contract in the recent past....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Where will Drenthe play...left midfield?

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Where will Drenthe play...left midfield?

yeah that's his best position. He had a spell at left back as well for Madrid, but that was just as cover.... He's fast and powerful. Looking forward to seeing him linking up with Baines. We've definitely been missing that partnership that he had with Pienaar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

yeah that's his best position. He had a spell at left back as well for Madrid, but that was just as cover.... He's fast and powerful. Looking forward to seeing him linking up with Baines. We've definitely been missing that partnership that he had with Pienaar.

Mighty signing for Everton. Any time Ive seen him hes played wing back. Wonder will Baines' attacking raids be hampered with his signing though?? FF thinking:pac:

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Mighty signing for Everton. Any time Ive seen him hes played wing back. Wonder will Baines' attacking raids be hampered with his signing though?? FF thinking:pac:

If anything, I think they will compliment each other....

and you believe everything that comes out of Kenwright/Goodison Park?

If an offer from a club like arsenal comes in you consider it indeed and he has gone. Nothing can be done about that now, but the club set this up. If the deal hadn't first of all been arranged by Everton and an adequate offer made by Arsenal, Arteta would still be an Everton player.

Did he decide he wanted to leave on the last day of the transfer windows? I think not. If he wanted to go, he would have done it earlier and not signed a 5 year contract in the recent past....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stick some tinfoil on your head.

£10M bid was rejected, Arteta forced the move yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I can't see a deal for Arteta being reached. Arsenal have left it far too late, idiots.
    You look like the idiot now.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stick some tinfoil on your head.

£10M bid was rejected, Arteta forced the move yesterday.

Tinfoil hat... good point, well made :rolleyes:

He didn't want to be sold that's the point. If it wasn't for Everton arranging the deal and wanting to sell him the thought would not have entered his head. They perhaps wanted more than 10 million, but when you go begging to a club to sell a player to them, you don't have a lot of bargaining power.

When the offer was presented to him he moved. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it for you?

Tinfoil hat... good point, well made :rolleyes:

He didn't want to be sold that's the point. If it wasn't for Everton arranging the deal and wanting to sell him the thought would not have entered his head. They perhaps wanted more than 10 million, but when you go begging to a club to sell a player to them, you don't have a lot of bargaining power.

When the offer was presented to him he moved. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it for you?

You're making it very clear. Unfortunatley for you, you're wrong.

Apparently 3 bids were rejected. One that included Bentner (so glad we didn't agree to that), Arteta forced the move yestersday, he made it clear that he wanted to leave after Everton had rejected bids for him. It's very easy to understand and doesn't need a conspiracy theory thrown in on top of it it. Believe whatever you want.

You're making it very clear. Unfortunatley for you, you're wrong.

Apparently 3 bids were rejected. One that included Bentner (so glad we didn't agree to that), Arteta forced the move yestersday, he made it clear that he wanted to leave after Everton had rejected bids for him. It's very easy to understand and doesn't need a conspiracy theory thrown in on top of it it. Believe whatever you want.

"Apparently" that makes me really wrong :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14561696.stm

From the man himself:
    "But at least we have been able to keep our best players. If we cannot sign new players we must keep the ones we have."

"It has been the same with myself, with Tim Cahill, Marouane Fellaini and so many other players in previous years," Arteta added. "It is important that we stayed, now and for the future."

"I am happy here, I always have been," Arteta explained. "I want to aim to win trophies, play in the Champions League and keep doing better and better. "But at the moment it is really difficult because we are competing against strong clubs that are really powerful financially.

"If someone comes and buys the club then it is a different story but at the moment the club cannot make stupid signings that might put us in trouble for the next few years. We have to be realistic.

"Do we need to buy players? Hopefully, by the end of August someone will come in who will help but if that is not the case then we know what we have got in the team and we will have to fight."

Wednesday, 17 August 2011 20:02 UK

Esse85 wrote: »
    You look like the idiot now.
    Everton are the idiots for accepting such a low bid when Arsenal were desperate.

Everton are the idiots for accepting such a low bid when Arsenal were desperate.

I think we were the desperate ones... They had us over a barrel...

• Advertisement

I hope his performances in a blue shirt are better than his rapping :-)

Drenthe in the house!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I wonder how Arteta moved without a medical?

Or was there a super 1 hour medical done in Goodison yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I wonder how Arteta moved without a medical?

Or was there a super 1 hour medical done in Goodison yesterday?

I thought I heard one of the SSN presenters saying that they can sign a player based on assurances from the club that the player in question is fit.

I'm not sure how Carroll passed his medical at Anfield given that he was injured at the time.

Meh, don't know how it all works really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I don't think Everton fans should be bitter towards Arteta after leaving, and tbf most I know are gutted he's gone but don't blame him

Everton are in a rut under the current owner, and without Moyes would be in big trouble. As long as Moyes can't spend and has to sell to pay the banks, the side can't improve.

If I were an Everton fan, my anger would be focused firmly on BK, and my concern firmly on the Spurs managerial position, because that is one that is likely to become vacant in the not too distant future, at a club with the financial backing to match their ambition.

Unless Everton get the investment they need, its quiet likely that Moyes could end up there, and as with Arteta, who could blame him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm not an Everton fan but from my limitied knowledge isn't Beckford a good player, he scored a fair few goals last season (when he got his game).

Why did they sell him? Financial reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Absolutely gutted this morning, like genuinely with a lump in my throat. In fairness though it does make sense for everyone involved.

Everton get £10m for a 29-year-old struggling to find the form of 2.5 years ago. This will probably go to the banks but it helps the club in any case.

Arsenal get a player capable of doing great things in a passing side.

Arteta gets Champions League football, something he richly deserves.

In retrospect, I do believe Arteta was going stale at Goodison.

In my opinion it's pretty clear both from reports and from the player himself that it was Arteta who pushed the move through, after Everton had rejected bids.

Having seen his comments on the official site, I bear no ill-will towards him, and I dearly hope he blows people away in the Champions League and earns himself an international call-up.

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm not an Everton fan but from my limitied knowledge isn't Beckford a good player, he scored a fair few goals last season (when he got his game).

Why did they sell him? Financial reasons?

Berating Moyes while being substituted a while back didn't help his cause at all imo. I don't think Moyes fancied him much after that.

Was our top scorer last season as well, 10 I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

arteta good sale and had to happen. Yakubu going a bonus
    Beckford going not good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

totally pissed off about arteta going ....

Hopefully Kenwright follows him soon , before Moyes jumps - I'm begining to wonder is Kenwright the fan he professes to be all , or just complete hot air

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    totally pissed off about arteta going ....

Hopefully Kenwright follows him soon , before Moyes jumps - I'm begining to wonder is Kenwright the fan he professes to be all , or just complete hot air

I've met Kenwright. He actually has a great knowledge of Everton.

It's a pity he hasn't a clue how to run a football club properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've met Kenwright. He actually has a great knowledge of Everton.

It's a pity he hasn't a clue how to run a football club properly.

theres many people with a good history of the club , but it takes big pockets to run a football club - certain things about Kenwright just dont add up , if he is such a fan , he should sell the club , while it is saleable with moyes still at the helm.

thebaz wrote: »
    theres many people with a good history of the club , but it takes big pockets to run a football club - certain things about Kenwright just dont add up , if he is such a fan , he should sell the club , while it is saleable with moyes still at the helm.

The point I was making was that I believe he's an Everton fan. I don't know if he's such a megalomaniac that he can let go of his trainset and he's afraid he wouldn't be able to set foot in Goodison again once he's gone as Chairman.

There's also the theory that he doesn't own any shares and is a puppet for Philip Green.

Good to see our new man Royston has previous with a certain wannabe dj from our lovely neighbours
    http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/38088-Royston-Drenthe-crunching-Steven-Gerrard-and-sparking-a-brawl...

Anyone watching the U21 match between England and Azerbaijan? Jordan Henderson's just made it 3-0 right before half-time.

Rodwell and Abdullayev both starting, Barkley on the bench.

Not much quality in the Azeri team but Abdullayev looks good (my first time seeing him play). He's played on both wings so far, knows when to push forward and when to turn back and just retain possession, been involved in their occasional attacks, and has been tracking back a bit too. On the bad side, he's played a few hasty first-time passes when he had more time, and his first touch lets him down on occasion.
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Good to see our new man Royston has previous with a certain wannabe dj from our lovely neighbours
    http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/38088-Royston-Drenthe-crunching-Steven-Gerrard-and-sparking-a-brawl...

Good heavens, Drenthe is quite a short man. He could compete with Lennon (isn't it?) for shortest in the league.

eh i dunno wrote: »

A lad I know on another forum did this a few years ago.

_4404110.jpg

• Advertisement

So transfer window closed and our best playmaker and fastest striker now gone :mad: Dont know much about the new lads but the dutch guy seems a complete nut. Would throw them both in next week though and hope that they gel quickly as the next 3 games(1 in cup) are winnable before a really tough run of games. I'd go with the following team next week
    Howard
    Neville Jags Distin Baines
    Osman Fellaini
    Barkley Cahill Drenthe
    Denis(not attempting the surname)

Subs Mucha Hibbert Heitinga Billy Rodwell Vellios Saha

What would everyone else go with??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'd play Heitinga.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Baines injured now. And Anichebe - no loss there even if he is one of our main strikers now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

tommyhaas wrote: »
    If I were an Everton fan, my anger would be focused firmly on BK, and my concern firmly on the Spurs managerial position, because that is one that is likely to become vacant in the not too distant future, at a club with the financial backing to match their ambition.

Unless Everton get the investment they need, its quiet likely that Moyes could end up there, and as with Arteta, who could blame him

I wish people would quit this boring and incorrect notion that Tottenham spend loads of money! They spend what they make in sales - exactly as Moyes has done up to this year at Everton! Plus they're about to start redevloping WHL and I believe all the money they can muster will be ploughed into that from here on in for a few years!

saltie wrote: »
    Baines injured now. And Anichebe - no loss there even if he is one of our main strikers now

I can't believe it. I don't remember the last time Baines got an injury with us, he goes away with England for a few god damn days, doesn't even play, and then comes back broken (all while we continue to pay his wages).

If he's out on Saturday we'll have a left wing of Drenthe and Bily.

Usually, when injuries force Moyes's hand, we stumble upon great partnerships...

I don't know if I want Bily to play us (Irish us, not Everton us) on Tuesday. On the one hand, he's clearly no good. On the other hand, he'll obviously play a blinder and lash a winner into the top corner in the last minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement