Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in social work entry requirements

Options
  • 18-06-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I have a degree in social science and my GPA was 3.1, which is a 2.1. However I read on the Trinity website that for the masters in social work all applicants that were shortlisted had a 2.1 degree - the equivalent of a 3.2 GPA or higher. As far as I was aware tho, a 2.1 was 3.08 GPA or above?

Does anyone have any experiences of the social work masters in any of the Universities that offer it, and do you think a GPA of 3.1 (obviously along with volunteering experience etc.) is enough to gain a place??
    I'm pretty worried as I really want to do the masters in the next year or so. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

GPA was never an issue in the colleges I applied..it was whether you had a 2.1 or 2.2 that mattered as you will see from the individual college criteria...altho Trinity has a 2.2 last year
    http://www.socialwork-socialpolicy.tcd.ie/postgraduate/progs/ma-social.php

Technically if you sit an excellent interview, have a great personal statement and have correct references and sufficient relevent experience you will stand as much a chance as someone with a 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sherrybomb

I always thought that to be the case too, but here it mentions GPA:

http://www.socialwork-socialpolicy.tcd.ie/postgraduate/progs/MSW/FAQ.php

So that threw me a little! Thanks for the info though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have no idea about GPA or what have you, but I had a 2.1 and a H.Dip in Social Policy and got onto the course. Trinity were much more concerned with your experience in some kind of related field, rather than your academics when I did the interview (about 5 years ago now).

Best thing to do is email the course director, she'll let you know pretty quick if it's worth you applying or not. She's sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sherrybomb

Ah ok, great. I'm hoping GPA isn't an issue as I do have the 2.1. Thanks. :)

Advertisement