Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another crazy video, Mirage after downpour.

Options

Comments

Jake1 wrote: »
    This is nuts. A whole city appears in a mirage in China after torrential rains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwLhXmnbtTM&NR=1[/url

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the weather . . .

Hoax, or something in the water . . .:P

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the weather . . .

Hoax, or something in the water . . .:P

Well they said it has happened before after heavy downpours, so that would seem to me it is weather related :D

But it could well be a hoax too Tony

Here s a link from Chinese gov website, describing a simialr incident in 2006.

http://www.gov.cn/english/2006-05/08/content_275193.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I thought a mirage was basically your brain playing tricks on you??? This isn't a mirage as I understood what a mirage was all along...
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

I thought a mirage was basically your brain playing tricks on you??? This isn't a mirage as I understood what a mirage was all along...
    :confused::confused::confused:

it is that, but its also this

mi·rage/məˈräZH/Noun
    1. An optical illusion caused by atmospheric conditions.
    2. Something that appears real or possible but is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

it is that, but its also this

mi·rage/məˈräZH/Noun
    1. An optical illusion caused by atmospheric conditions.
    2. Something that appears real or possible but is not.

But is the illusion not esentially going on within your mind, triggered by what you are seeing??? If it is, then it can hardly be videoed and sent around the internet as the experience is highly unique...

But is the illusion not esentially going on within your mind, triggered by what you are seeing??? If it is, then it can hardly be videoed and sent around the internet as the experience is highly unique...

I dont know man,thats way to deep for me LOL
    I just thought it was an interesting video, make of it what you will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It must be a reflection of the city that they are seeing, almost like there is a mirror out in the middle of the river. I wonder if they took a telescope and looked at the mirage, would they be able to see themselves looking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

But an optical illusion implies a real illusion caused by something like the refraction of light rays. Perhaps the atmospheric at the time resulted in layers of air which had vastly different densities. This could caused refraction or reflection of light rays from one place to another.

seems plausible in my mind anyway:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    But an optical illusion implies a real illusion caused by something like the refraction of light rays. :D

Yes it does and it's exactly that. A mirage in the desert is well known and it's a projection of distant objects through refraction and displayed on the 'screen' the screen being a wall of dust or water mist.

One does need to be at the right angle and lighting conditions to see these, in a similar way one sees a rain bow, it can only be seen from certain areas in relation to the lighting and the rain shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

You do all know the buildings are really there don't you, this has been taken completly out of context, they are talking about the illusion of the buildings trees etc appearing to be floating, they are not saying they are not there, check google earth, the buildings are all really there, it's not project blue beam at all its just mist along the bottom of the landscape which makes it look
    mirage-y!!

youngblood wrote: »
    You do all know the buildings are really there don't you, this has been taken completly out of context, they are talking about the illusion of the buildings trees etc appearing to be floating, they are not saying they are not there, check google earth, the buildings are all really there, it's not project blue beam at all its just mist along the bottom of the landscape which makes it look
    mirage-y!!

Yeah, I think we all know that, but thanks for your mindblowing insight anyway.
    As for project Bluebeam, no one on this thread mentioned that, CT forum that wya ...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

youngblood wrote: »
    mirage-y!!

Yeah, I think we all know that, but thanks for your mindblowing insight anyway.
    As for project Bluebeam, no one on this thread mentioned that, CT forum that wya ...;)

Actually it's not clear at all, they appear to be talking about the buildings as if they were a mirage. Don't be so sarcastic when another poster has a good point to make.

Why, oh , why did I post this video?? LOL
    :D;)

I just thought it was a cool phenomenon:) Something unusual after a heavy downpour.

Advertisement