Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar Lower Yellow Road - Closes

• 18-06-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Sad to see that the Spar on Lower Yellow Road has closed down with the loss of those jobs. Always liked it and was very handy to where I live. Hope all the staff get sorted with something new soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I guess it was a little too close to Spar on Barrack Street and SuperValu just round the corner.

But sad to see anything go in these times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

That's sad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Not to rain on the pity parade, but I grew up around there and I can remember about a dozen small shops around the Yellow Road area (three on Doyle Street alone) that couldn't survive when spar and supervalu arrived on the scene.

The current job losses suck alright, but I can't remember anyone caring about all those businesses going bust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

anyone know how the Toddle is doing....nearly a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think that shop was just too big for the area. You already had relatively large shops nearby, so not enough custom to sustain a small shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

And the Londis on the Quay closed - thats a pity, it had good potential, they didn't seem to quite finish it and give it time to get a decent clientelle though.

I guess Treacy's has too much os a historic presence.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

The chap that runs the shop in Barrick Street also ran the shop in Yellow Road. They were too close to each other. It's a pity all the same and that's not the end of it either I've heard theirs a dozen or so shops in town that will go in the next 6 months if things don't turn around.

200motels wrote: »
    The chap that runs the shop in Barrick Street also ran the shop in Yellow Road. They were too close to each other. It's a pity all the same and that's not the end of it either I've heard theirs a dozen or so shops in town that will go in the next 6 months if things don't turn around.

I'd expect so. A lot of these shops were really geared up for breakfast roll man, who has since moved to Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

I live between the 2 shops and used to visit them on a frequent basis, USED TOO... I stopped going because of the piss poor service and over priced goods, I now go out of my way to head down to the cork rd Spar, great value!
    Sorry to see the jobs go, but the local businesses must realize you have to raise your game in this climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

All our taxes are STILL going to the Bondholders (would luv ta see the list of names there) do they not have a Patriotic Duty.....to take a hit....their feckin bloody gamblers and governments make the tax payer bail em out.

Dont start me.....no wonder the country is in melt down..... street riots will follow not that we want that :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Not to worry lads, the Tall Ships will turn it all around. We'll all be surfing piles of cash down easy street this time next year :D

Edit: Spar is the biggest retail chain on the planet - hardly a 'local' business imho. Unless some Waterford lad got really clever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

alinton wrote: »
    And the Londis on the Quay closed - thats a pity, it had good potential, they didn't seem to quite finish it and give it time to get a decent clientelle though.

Really? The one down by the bus station? I was only in there for the first time about six weeks ago. Looked like there had been big money put into it but I did wonder was there a need for a shop of that size with Aldi only up the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

alinton wrote: »

I guess Treacy's has too much os a historic presence.

A.
    It was open today when i passed.I stopped useing it ,the hot food is rubbish and the staff have no manners at all,not a nice place to shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the bank took over londis the quay as the owner pulled a runner with one of the polish workers in the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

the bank took over londis the quay as the owner pulled a runner with one of the polish workers in the shop

haha yes boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

dayshah wrote: »
    I'd expect so. A lot of these shops were really geared up for breakfast roll man, who has since moved to Australia.

This is actually a really good point and one I hadn't considered.

I was talking to a chap last week and he was telling me that a well known shop in the mddle of town is just throwing money away and (this is scary) the only thing they sell allot of is tin foil as it plays some part in the Heroin process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    I live between the 2 shops and used to visit them on a frequent basis, USED TOO... I stopped going because of the piss poor service and over priced goods, I now go out of my way to head down to the cork rd Spar, great value!
    Sorry to see the jobs go, but the local businesses must realize you have to raise your game in this climate.

Do all the Spars have different prices??? :confused:

ziedth wrote: »
    This is actually a really good point and one I hadn't considered.

I was talking to a chap last week and he was telling me that a well known shop in the mddle of town is just throwing money away and (this is scary) the only thing they sell allot of is tin foil as it plays some part in the Heroin process.

They should do a special offer on tinfoil and night lights so.

Yeah a lot of those Spars shouldn't really be thought of as shops, but more like a take-away with a sideline in groceries.

Advertisement