Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer for ASD child

Options
  • 18-06-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

My son has autism and he needs a computer to help with his school work. I don't have the funds to buy one at the moment nor will i have for the foreseeable future and so i was wondering if there were any grants available that we would be entitled to. If i had the funds i would just go and get it myself. I feel like a sponger as i never applied for any assistance before. Any advice would be most helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

If he needs to use the computer in school then the school might be able to help.
    My son needed to use one and was given a very old laptop which he borrowed until he left school.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

You need to get a recommendation from an Educational Psychologist and an OT that your child's schoolwork is suffering because of their inability to write/communicate because of the ASD. They will then send in an application for assistive technology through the child's school

This will then be sent to the SENO (I think) and then the Department of Education in Athlone.

It does take a long time, and not all requests are granted.

But if you do get a Department computer, the child can use it in state exams. Our younger two children have dyspraxia (son has aspergers as well) and have been approved for Assistive Technology. Our daughter has a laptop, our sons has been approved and is being processed at the moment. Our daughter has just completed her Junior Cert using her laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭loadz

Thanks Bicycle that's very helpful information.

Advertisement