Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leitrim County Council

Options
  • 18-06-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

How much sense does this make

County council say they have no funds to replace stairs (do not meet legal safety requirements) and to install central heating, yet they have the funds to asphalt all footpaths in area which is pointless as it is less than an inch thick and will crack at the first sign of frost and also have the funds to re-tar a large area of road.

Anyone else have any problems with this shower of twits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I dont think those actions are exclusive to Leitrim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

muffler wrote: »
    I dont think those actions are exclusive to Leitrim :D

ach i know but i am in leitrim and wanted to liven up the board a bit :D

anyone know if going to the ombudsman is worth a shot?

greenybaby wrote: »
    ach i know but i am in leitrim and wanted to liven up the board a bit :D
    Aye, worth a shot :)

anyone know if going to the ombudsman is worth a shot?
    You could consider it alright but you'd need to take the issue up with the council first i think.

Aye, worth a shot :)

You could consider it alright but you'd need to take the issue up with the council first i think.

is 7 years not considering taking it up with the council lol, they fob me off with BS saying they can't do one house and not do the rest, yet i am the only house with no central heating, i had the head of maintenance in and he agreed with all the work i had listed to be done but then when his boss came with him last week he back tracked and denied agreeing to works to be carried out :mad:

never accept what people say - get it in writing.

I dont know the full story obviously but I assume you are in a council house (renting) so I would suggest you write to them and ask what works they propose to carry out to increase the BER rating of your house and what date will these works commence.

Depending on the response you could initially ask one of your local councilors or TDs for help or just make a formal complaint to the ombudsman's office.

• Advertisement

never accept what people say - get it in writing.

I dont know the full story obviously but I assume you are in a council house (renting) so I would suggest you write to them and ask what works they propose to carry out to increase the BER rating of your house and what date will these works commence.

Depending on the response you could initially ask one of your local councilors or TDs for help or just make a formal complaint to the ombudsman's office.

yes the next knock back i get i will request it in writing, forgive my stupidness but what is the BER (in asking that i will google it after i hit post :D )

the local TDs are no help to be totally honest with you, anything that gets done to my house is through my own persistence, i know this because when i landed in with a list of things to be done they claimed to have not laid eyes on such a list before even though i had given copies to two councilors

to date i have paid just over 15k in rent, i think i am entitled to something back from them :mad:

BER = Building Energy Rating. A BER cert must now be issued for every new house built or every time a house is sold or rented/leased regardless of it's age

If you are sitting tenant Im not sure if the council are obliged to give you one but I am led to believe that the government requested the councils to carry out improvements to their housing stock with a view to increasing their BER rating. Insulating walls and ceilings and fitting new double glazed windows and zoned heating systems etc are the normal works that would be carried out.

But like everything else the funding isn't there for a lot of this.

BER = Building Energy Rating. A BER cert must now be issued for every new house built or every time a house is sold or rented/leased regardless of it's age

If you are sitting tenant Im not sure if the council are obliged to give you one but I am led to believe that the government requested the councils to carry out improvements to their housing stock with a view to increasing their BER rating. Insulating walls and ceilings and fitting new double glazed windows and zoned heating systems etc are the normal works that would be carried out.

But like everything else the funding isn't there for a lot of this.

yeah i was told last year there was a scheme to insulate the walls etc but i ended up doing my attic myself, and was told last week the insulating scheme is no longer active, i think they are just using every excuse they can to not do work.

I mean they claimed the safety reg on stairs has changed again, BS, if that is the case why are they replacing them in 2 houses beside me, and i tell you this, they would not be replacing them only for i piped up and mentioned safety,my daughter climbs the stairs all the time and can get to the top no problem, well she has since stopped since i really gave out about it one day, but they are not to know that, i think i need to contact someone in BER.ie or another company and get the house checked, along with a safety engineer or whatever title they have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

You can get your house insulated from a private company and you'll get a grant from the council for it!
    I'd read up about it first though because we turned out to not be eligible for the grant, something to do with the walls.

I know how bad the council is, we've been waiting for water from them for years now but they won't do it because "there's a rock in the way"..:pac:

And when we got a new pump for the well they said they couldn't give the grant because the water was contaminated..though when we rang them about it they said it was a harmless thing..:rolleyes:

storm2811 wrote: »
    You can get your house insulated from a private company and you'll get a grant from the council for it!
    I'd read up about it first though because we turned out to not be eligible for the grant, something to do with the walls.

I know how bad the council is, we've been waiting for water from them for years now but they won't do it because "there's a rock in the way"..:pac:

And when we got a new pump for the well they said they couldn't give the grant because the water was contaminated..though when we rang them about it they said it was a harmless thing..:rolleyes:

the wall insulating isn't my main concern, the safety of my child and keeping her warm with the aid of central heating is my priority, i have to laugh at the way they do peoples houses up and those occupants have made a dive outta the house, i keep my house very well and i get nothing for it :(

ah well i shall now in less than 2 weeks if they are gonna do anything and if i get a refusal it is to the ombudsman i go :pac:

• Advertisement

Keep us updated please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

How much sense does this make

County council say they have no funds to replace stairs (do not meet legal safety requirements) and to install central heating, yet they have the funds to asphalt all footpaths in area which is pointless as it is less than an inch thick and will crack at the first sign of frost and also have the funds to re-tar a large area of road.

Anyone else have any problems with this shower of twits?
    I know that Sligo Co. Co are in the same position regarding funding. A relation of mine got his bathroom kitted out just a few months ago (by way of a grant) just before the deadline. It's all down to cut-backs. Governement are cutting funding from litterally every department and scheme. I think the money for the roads and home repairs come from two diffrent budgets. Having said that, the council have an obligation to ensure that they are renting you a house that is insulted. Best of luck

still waiting on a response, i was told at the start of last month to wait 3 weeks and nothing and when i ring they say they will get back to me :mad::mad:

ok so update, I should have my heating in, cavities pumped and attic reinsulated before december, the rest of the work will be carried out whenever a new scheme starts :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

ok so update, I should have my heating in, cavities pumped and attic reinsulated before december, the rest of the work will be carried out whenever a new scheme starts :rolleyes::rolleyes:

All of this is costing you how much?

n97 mini wrote: »

Nothing! Why should I have to pay anything? Every other house around me got theirs done and after 8 years of paying ridiculous rent it is about time they done something!

Im not sure why you asked this but no doubt you will clarify.

Nothing! Why should I have to pay anything? Every other house around me got theirs done and after 8 years of paying ridiculous rent it is about time they done something!

For similar work to my house I paid €5,300 out of my own pocket. So I don't know what the roll eyes (:rolleyes:) in your post is about?

In addition I pay my mortgage out of my own pocket.

For similar work to my house I paid €5,300 out of my own pocket. So I don't know what the roll eyes (:rolleyes:) in your post is about?

You can take your rants elsewhere but dont derail this thread again.

We can leave it at that.

It is my considered opinion that this thread is a rant, that's why I replied to it. I'm happy to leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Infraction given. No more of this.

Eh first off it is a council house

Secondly of course it is a rant, if you were living in a council owned property for 8 years with a child and you had stairs that were a death trap where the child is concerned, no central heating causing you to have to move out in the winter and yet you see other people with no kids getting everything sorted in their houses(paying much lower rent may i add) then wouldn't you rant as well!!!

Considering I have been asking for all work to be carried out for the past 8 years and they promise me the sun moon and stars then tell me "well we have to wait for a different scheme for your stairs" And you wonder why i done this :rolleyes: !!!!

Update on this, after being advised and assured my heating would be in before December they have now said it has been pushed back as I am no longer considered a priority :mad::mad::mad: So once again I shall have to move out of my house once the temp drops :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Update on this, after being advised and assured my heating would be in before December they have now said it has been pushed back as I am no longer considered a priority :mad::mad::mad: So once again I shall have to move out of my house once the temp drops :mad::mad::mad:

Did they tell you what is a priority?

il gatto wrote: »
    Did they tell you what is a priority?

Nope :mad:

They replaced my gutters and my neighbours which was one of the items on the list, they only came to our houses to inspect for repairs etc, so on monday the boys arrived and done the gutters, great job, happy out until i woke up tuesday morning and they were back doing another 6 houses that hadn't been down for work, when i questioned the council their reply was "well we couldn't do yours and not do the rest" so it is ok for them to put central heating into everyone elses houses and not mine :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Aren't you mighty altogether. If I'd paid a few bills and had some work done because I could afford it, I too would come here to rant at those less able to afford it. Must make you feel very big indeed.

Personal finances are supposed to be personal. And certainly paying a few quid for Insulation (by choice, I assume) doesn't make you a Rothschild. Take your opinions to Politics.ie and stop hassling someone you don't know to make yourself look like the man. Pathetic.

I'm being denied a right of reply here as I get given an infraction if I hint that I think people should be grateful for the work the council is doing, at no cost to the tenant.

Back on topic here please. I wont be repeating myself.

I'm being denied a right of reply here as I get given an infraction if I hint that I think people should be grateful for the work the council is doing, at no cost to the tenant.

At no cost to me?! Now that made me laugh!!! My daughter has suffered from constant chest infections because the house is so cold, so each time that cost me 40 to the doctor and then whatever to the chemist for her medicine, i pay way higher rent than anyone else around me, i have spent thousands and i mean f**king thousands doing up the interior and exterior of my house, most things which should have been done in the first place, I am grateful for the work that is being done don't get me wrong all that i asked for is things to be installed that should have been here in the first place!!!!

Cheek of you!! Seriously the f**king cheek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway on a brighter note, all work is commencing in a few weeks time as I have had the engineers here, all work went to tender and prices are back in and I have to move out for a month which I don't mind at all

Oh @n97 mini I am still paying rent whilst out of the house and will have to pay towards my keep in my temporary accommodation so go chaw on that one!!!

• Advertisement

Infraction given for the above comments. I've already posted twice about this.

Advertisement