Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

16 week old swimming West Dublin...

• 18-06-2011 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Is it okay to bring a baby swimming in a normal pool, as in not baby swimming classes?

We were thinking of bring our little girl to the Clarion in Liffey Valley for a casual dip tomorrow, is it okay to just turn up and pay or do we have to be members?

Also while im here, my auntie said she used to always put her kids underwater and let go and they swim to her (split second stuff) but we're worried our little one might swallow water...

all help / comments appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Big Mouth wrote: »
    Is it okay to bring a baby swimming in a normal pool, as in not baby swimming classes?
    Yes, look for one that has a baby pool that's nice and warm as they get cold quickly. You'll need swim nappies, available in supermarkets.
    We were thinking of bring our little girl to the Clarion in Liffey Valley for a casual dip tomorrow, is it okay to just turn up and pay or do we have to be members?
    Give them a ring and ask. For small babies Cheeverstown in Templeogue is great as it's very warm. They only open weekends and are strict on numbers. The pool is small so you won't be doing any swimming.
    Also while im here, my auntie said she used to always put her kids underwater and let go and they swim to her (split second stuff) but we're worried our little one might swallow water...
    :eek: don't let her go, they can swallow water really easily. this is not recommended by teachers at all anymore (it was in the past).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

i think you have to be a member at the clarion? could be wrong, stewarts is public and has a warm baby pool so maybe try there// also some pools like the baby to have some of their jabs done so maybe check with the pool. have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

all help / comments appreciated!

I brought my little one swimming in a pool just after her first set of jabs at 2 months old. All you need is a swim nappy and togs if you want (I didn't bother for the first few times). You don't need a swim hat for them.

Before you go I would ring up the pool and ask what the temperature is that day. For a baby that young it should be at least 28/28.5 degrees.

With regard to what your aunty did, it is called the dive reflex and is present in newborns up to 3/4 months. The way it works is you blow on their face which gets them to close their mouth and not inhale and basicly let them go.

I tried it on my daughter with a friend of mine (who is a qualified swim instructor, and we have both trained as life guards). It is not recommended though. Even if baby only swallows a small amount of water there is a risk from secondary drowning.

Also to add, baby will be very tired after their first swim and can get cold very quickly. Try not to get their head wet, stay in the pool max 5-10 mins and have a dry towel waiting at the side of the pool. You should dry baby off and get them dressed as quickly as possible. I always have a feed ready for her to as the excercise gets her hunger up :)

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

hi lola, so do you mean the first few times you just brought baby in in the nappy? thats a great idea, so you can dry them and clothe them really quickly. a friend said to me to get a baby wetsuit but your idea makes more sense:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We bring our son to the Mennii Services pool at Islandbridge on Saturday morning for their parent and child sessions.
    You get a book of 10 tickets mon - fri a.m for 40 euro from their office.
    The water is 31 degrees. Tickets are valid for 6 months.

He was 4 months old on his first swim and loves it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

hi lola, so do you mean the first few times you just brought baby in in the nappy? thats a great idea, so you can dry them and clothe them really quickly. a friend said to me to get a baby wetsuit but your idea makes more sense:)

I just had her in a swim nappy in the pool. There really isn't any need for a baby wetsuit unless you are in an outdoor pool/sea or want to spend a fair bit of time in the water. I built up the time each week by 3/4 minutes after the first few visits. My 6 month old can now spend between 45 mins to an hour in the pool.

Also I would wait until the very last minute to undress them and put them in swim nappy. If possible have everything else in the locker just towel and swim nappy out ready to go.

If you are nervous it also helps to have someone else go with you the first few times to help getting in and out of the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've brought my son swimming since 4 months and he loves it. He wears a swim nappy, a nappy cover and a wetsuit as we were advised that for babies under a year the water temp should be 32oc and below that they should wear a wetsuit. I got mine in
    Mothercare.

He goes to swimming classes which are 30mins long and after 20 mins he's tired and ready to get out.

He has been put under water but very gradually and we're building up to him swimming under water but he's put under for 5 seconds or so 3 times every class. He really loves it but some babies aren't so keen and cry through the whole class so they don't get put under water.

I wouldn't advise just letting them go in the belief that they'll swim. It could
    traumatise them so much that they'll be afraid of water.

Advertisement