Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endurance Supplement

• 18-06-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭

My training and racing have being getting ever more competitive. I have decided to push myself harder to try and start getting into the prizes.

My training schedule is fairly intense (adventure racing), i am looking to but a post workout supplement thats going to aid recovery and restore energy levels.

My diet is spot on so it not a case of taking the easy option but with increased demands i feel i need that little bit extra.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

In before the chocolate milk.

Try provon revive by optimum nutrition or the kinetica one, both high quality Irish products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My training and racing have being getting ever more competitive. I have decided to push myself harder to try and start getting into the prizes.

My training schedule is fairly intense (adventure racing), i am looking to but a post workout supplement thats going to aid recovery and restore energy levels.

My diet is spot on so it not a case of taking the easy option but with increased demands i feel i need that little bit extra.

Thanks in advance.

Now I'm no deca-ironman but in my opinion you probably don't need anything. Unless its periods of huge training (20+ hours a week) and multiple sessions a day you're body can replinish its stores through normal diet in less than 24 hours.

Most people, and I've been there done that, overestimate the extra requirements the training that they do places on the body.

Back when I was training I would use provon revive but only after hard long bikes or runs (> 5 hours hard bike, >3 hours run) and then only if I was training again that day or had a quality session the next day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've used provon revive - usually only after long runs or a particularly hard session. Used to be anything over 13 miles but 13 miles doesn't take anything out of me anymore so now it'd be more like anything over 18 miles or so.

More recently I've just made up a fruit smoothie and thrown in some unflavoured whey. Making up your own means you can cater it to your needs better than with a shake from a sachet. If I've done a couple of hard days in a row I'll take it after a much shorter run.

I have noticed a big difference the next day in taking the provon after a long run compared to not taking one. Works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Thanks in advance.

Supplements are there to fill gaps left by inadequate nutrition.
    If your diet is spot on, then by definition you do not need any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

http://fitline.com/?cid=81

novak djokovic uses this and so does the German Olympic teams.
    Costs 30 quid a week though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Enduroman

Creatine helps a bit.

Enduroman wrote: »
    Creatine helps a bit.

Helps with what?
    How?

I'm not denying that creatine is superb for its uses. However how does its use tally with endurance sports recovery?
    Although creatine supplementation is widely used across many sports, it is only proven to be beneficial in a small number of sports where athletes repeat short maximal efforts with brief recovery periods.

From the AIS site which is gospel for supplements.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/supplements/supplement_fact_sheets/group_a_supplements/creatine

If anything it is contra indicated for endurance athletes.

Helps with recovery!

I'm not into science, I just use things that work and creatine helped me with my recover while training for 8 months for an endurance race and I also believe it helped me to complete the race.

Enduroman wrote: »
    Helps with recovery!

I'm not into science, I just use things that work and creatine helped me with my recover while training for 8 months for an endurance race and I also believe it helped me to complete the race.

Sorta the point. It is not proven, nor even indicated, to work in recovery for endurance sports.

You believe it worked, the placebo effect is not to be underestimated.

Proven or not you still have to try everything for yourself.

A tablet that makes one mans dick hard can give another man a heart attack.

Everyone has to find something that works for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

tunney wrote: »
    Now I'm no deca-ironman but in my opinion you probably don't need anything. Unless its periods of huge training (20+ hours a week) and multiple sessions a day you're body can replinish its stores through normal diet in less than 24 hours.

Most people, and I've been there done that, overestimate the extra requirements the training that they do places on the body.

Back when I was training I would use provon revive but only after hard long bikes or runs (> 5 hours hard bike, >3 hours run) and then only if I was training again that day or had a quality session the next day.

Thats coming for Tri perspective.
    A runner who is running 120miles a week might only cover 12hours per week and if its up to 20hours then this might be up to 200miles.

Thats coming for Tri perspective.
    A runner who is running 120miles a week might only cover 12hours per week and if its up to 20hours then this might be up to 200miles.

Thats true.

I do find when running 100 miles a week that I NEED some kind of recovery product on double days. This is despite "only" training 11-12 hours.

I think the use of recovery products should not be based on the session just done but on the next session to do, its timing relative to the session just done and the impact of the session just done on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Doing 20hrs plus a week (work rate 70% MHR), i just feel that during some of the sessions in the evenings i am drained. Maybe i should be looking at creating some kind of post workout drink myself like a smoothie etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tunney wrote: »
    I think the use of recovery products should not be based on the session just done but on the next session to do, its timing relative to the session just done and the impact of the session just done on it.

Personally I would say that recovery from the previous session is paramount regardless its place in relation to next session (and its demands). Training is a two part process in terms of stress and adapt. With the over compensation principles would it not be best to aid recovery as best possible in terms of gaining maximum benefit from each session?

Again this is my personal opinion and I can see where you are coming from in terms of letting the body naturally adapt and repair itself without the need for additional suppliments unless their is deficiencies within the athlete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 juli123

i use the EGCG Green Tea Extract.
    I imagine I have a better endurance with them and green Tea is always a good idea.

Advertisement