Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to upgrade too?

Options
  • 18-06-2011 9:18pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a gtx 260 896mb card now 3 yrs,I was thinking of upgrading,what would ye recommend?budget is 200-300 euros,I have the following graphics card MAXIMUS II FORMULA S775 P45 ATX SND+2XGLN+U2+1394 FSB1600 SATA2R IN

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

For that kind of money I don't think you could go too far wrong with either an Nvidia 560Ti or the marginally more powerful AMD HD6920 2GB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

marco_polo wrote: »
    For that kind of money I don't think you could go too far wrong with either an Nvidia 560Ti or the marginally more powerful AMD HD6920 2GB.

would they both work ok with my mother board? would they bottleneck my processor?its a Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz LGA775 FSB1333 6Mb Retail

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

would they both work ok with my mother board? would they bottleneck my processor?its a Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz LGA775 FSB1333 6Mb Retail

They would work just fine with your MB.

Yep it will bottleneck your processor, but GPUs almost always bottleneck processors, unless the CPU is exceptionally crap relative to the GPU, the game is graphically undemanding, or you are playing at low details/resolutions (and why would you do that with a 200 euro card). But the key point is a 6950/560 would be much less of a bottleneck than your current 260.

If you are playing at 60fps+, on maximum details @ 1920X1080 then the fact that your GPU is bottlenecking your CPU a little ought not to be too much of a concern :).

To make your Q9300 the bottleneck you would probably need to add a second GPU or splash out on a HD6990 :pac:.

marco_polo wrote: »
    They would work just fine with your MB.

Yep it will bottleneck your processor, but GPUs almost always bottleneck processors, unless the CPU is exceptionally crap relative to the GPU, the game is graphically undemanding, or you are playing at low details/resolutions (and why would you do that with a 200 euro card). But the key point is a 6950/560 would be much less of a bottleneck than your current 260.

If you are playing at 60fps+, on maximum details @ 1920X1080 then the fact that your GPU is bottlenecking your CPU a little ought not to be too much of a concern :).

To make your Q9300 the bottleneck you would probably need to add a second GPU or splash out on a HD6990 :pac:.

So no need to upgrade my processor just yet then :)?

• Advertisement

So no need to upgrade my processor just yet then :)?

No should keep you going for another while yet, and you always have the option of overclocking to extend its likespan a little bit more (It is a fairly average OC'er but it should be possible to take it from 2.5GHz to a little beyond 3GHz relatively easily).

oh and I normally play games at 1600x1050,I was too hook my tv up to my computer and play 1920x1080,would I noitice a drop in performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

oh and I normally play games at 1600x1050,I was too hook my tv up to my computer and play 1920x1080,would I noitice a drop in performance?

With your current setup, yes. But not by much. Maybe a few frames per second.

Advertisement