Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dyspraxia support / advice

• 18-06-2011 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi our child is 7 and has dyspraxia , he was diagnosed when he was 2 as having verbal dyspraxia ,he also has motor dyspraxia he receives physio and o/t sometimes me and hubby find a little lost in terms of support or just someone to talk to who understand s ,i find friends and acquaintances do not want to know ,i don't know whether it is because they don't know what to say or they just don't want to know , we have good and bad days mainly good somedays things get on top of me would cry for a while then pul myself together was just wondering does any one know of a good support group I am in the dublin area thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

www.dyspraxiaireland.com

There should be a group in Dublin. We find the Limerick group great.

Our younger two (aged 15 and 11) have dyspraxia. Both of them have motor issues. One has a Department of Education laptop to help with writing, the other has been approved and awaiting delivery of one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lilypie

thanks for your reply what to you do at your meeting, is it like a support group for parents ,what ages were your sons diagnosed at and did they receive o/t or physio did you find anything else helped ,our son has gross and fine motor probelms sequencing ,visual memory and figure ground perception,his hand writing has improved greatly he will be going into 1st class next year so we are worried how he will cope with copying from the board as he gets pains in his hand when he writing too much.

Some times just doing his homework sheet will lead to tears and tantrums if he has done a lot of writing in school on that day he keeps it together for school and some days falls apart when he gets home do you have any other issues with your boys at school are their teachers supportive hope you don't mind me asking, just to chat with someone who understands i know all children with dyspraxia have different issues but just wondering what your experience's are ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

My son has dyspraxia (and asperger's).
    He had some sessions with an OT that helped.
    Also when he was in secondary school he had the use of a laptop because of the pain in his arm when writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lilypie

hi magnumlady thanks for your reply ,what age is your son what other ways is your son 's ddaily life affected hope you dont mind me asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

He's 18 now, but was diagnosed with Dyspraxia when he was 9.
    He still can't tie shoes, has trouble with co-ordination, balance etc. It took him years to be able to swim.
    His arm still gives him trouble when he writes. He has a slant which helps and the touch typing helps too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement