Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help setting up wireless bridge at home

Options
  • 18-06-2011 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking for some assistance on getting the following setup - UPC recently came to fix the cabling etc on our apartment, and installed a new Cisco EPC2425 modem/router. The new modem/router has been cabled into the hall to avoid interference with the tv box apparently, which means my xbox can no longer get online, and I'm not forking out a fortune for a wireless network adaptor. A really long cable is out of the question too as the positioning is too awkward.
    I have a Buffalo Airstation WHR-G54S router that I want to act as a wireless bridge receiving signal from the EPC2425 so that I can connect my xbox and any other device I want to it via ethernet connection in the livingroom.
    I feel like I've almost got it working but there's something I'm missing as the router loses connection and can't get a network address as soon as it's unplugged from the cisco device.
    On the Cisco device I have wireless bridging enabled with the MAC address of the router added. I've removed all security for now and setup the WHR-G54S seemingly without issue into bridge mode (it has a switch on the bottom for flipping b/w bridge and auto and online config shows access point mode is enabled), and setup a LAN IP for the router as well as adding the default gateway and DNS server IPs from the cisco modem. When the WHR-G54S is cabled directly to the cisco modem/router I can ping its IP of 192.168.100.1, and on the cisco config page I can see the MAC address and IP of the router as an attached device.
    However, as soon as I remove the ethernet cable linking the WHR-G54S's WAN port to the cisco, no joy. When connected to my PC for setup the LAN connection shows as connected & firewalled, but as soon as I remove the cable linking the two routers it reverts to limited/no connection with no network address.
    I'm not too savvy with networking and this is a learning process for me so any advice would be helpful. I know there is open source software I can put on the router for bridging, but I worry that I still wouldn't be able to get it to work, and wind up with a router I can't return.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

you dont set up a Wireless Bridge...

a Bridge is to allow to Networks to become part of the Same Network.

What you want is to Allow your Cisco router to act as a Wifi Router and your other Router to act as a Repeater.

Bridging a network is not going to allow you make the WiFi Signal Longer around the House.

how old is your other Router, as to be able to do this you need a newer Router.. that can allow.

you will need to go into your Other Router click of DHCP Server. let Cisco be the DHCP. the Bufflo will pass on the IP to your xbox.

Set your Bufflo Router IP as 192.168.0.2 if your Cisco Router is 192.168.0.1
    Also turn off DNS if it is on and set the Bufflo to Access Point only, this should do the trick

this is also Called WDS.. some Routers allow a Bridge Network become a WDS

Advertisement