Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade laptop - is it worth it and whats my options

Options
  • 18-06-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I would really appreciate some opinions on this please
    My laptop is old but cant really afford a new one at moment.

Heres what I have,

Toshiba SM30 604

Intel Pentium m processor 1600MHz
    1.60GHz, 512MB ram
    Os is Microsoft windows xp home ed. 2002 SP3

Lately Im getting messages saying things like hard drive running out of space - its crashing sometimes using mozilla on the net etc.

I use it everynite for internet browsing - downloading music, films, photos etc also have fair amount of documents etc.

Is it worth upgrading this - Ive never upgraded a laptop before but Im pretty handy with most gadgets so I would give it a go.

Ive a very basic knowledge so please any help would be really welcome.
    Oh and the battrey has been non existant for at least 2 years so Id be looking at replacing that aswell.

Ive ordered a portable hd to store important docs photos etc in case the hd crashes but what else could I upgrade and is it worth it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

First get CCleaner;
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    Run that to clear out a lot of temp/unnecessary files on the laptop.
    That should give you a bit of breathing space with the hard drive warnings.

Also, within CCleaner, use the reg cleaner and the startup section to stop unnecessary programs running.

Then defrag the hard drive fully.

See how your laptop performs after doing all that.
    It should be a lot zippier to use.

You should definitely look into backing up all your stuff onto an external hard drive and keeping your laptop
    less full, as this will also help to improve laptop performance.

More RAM would definitely help the laptop, 2 x 1GB sticks would be ideal, I'm guessing you have 2 x 256MB installed.
    With the RAM upgrade, it may even be possible to get laptop upgraded to Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

You could try this free app too.. handy to have on machines, does the above and a few extras, clear out all the trash on the pc.. should be running a little faster after

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?tag=mncol;3

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

shamu2new wrote: »
    I would really appreciate some opinions on this please
    My laptop is old but cant really afford a new one at moment.

Heres what I have,

Toshiba SM30 604

Intel Pentium m processor 1600MHz
    1.60GHz, 512MB ram
    Os is Microsoft windows xp home ed. 2002 SP3

Lately Im getting messages saying things like hard drive running out of space - its crashing sometimes using mozilla on the net etc.

I use it everynite for internet browsing - downloading music, films, photos etc also have fair amount of documents etc.

Is it worth upgrading this - Ive never upgraded a laptop before but Im pretty handy with most gadgets so I would give it a go.

Ive a very basic knowledge so please any help would be really welcome.
    Oh and the battrey has been non existant for at least 2 years so Id be looking at replacing that aswell.

Ive ordered a portable hd to store important docs photos etc in case the hd crashes but what else could I upgrade and is it worth it.

Thanks

You could order a new HD(internal) and more ram, other than that you can rarely upgrade a CPU or GPU in a laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

@ Moon: Thanks for that - I did the ccleaner and defrag last night and it did improve a bit alright no HD messages so far but Im still aware im very tight on space so will check out what I need to do to upgrade the ram - Ill do a bit of googling as ive never done it before but hey how hard can it be!!

@Jonny: thanks for the link - going to check that out tonight - cheers!

@ The reverend - thanks for your suggestions - I think i will look at pricing a new internal HD for it aswell.

So at the moment im looking at pricing;
    2 x 1 g ram
    New HD
    New battery

Thanks for the help - keep the suggestions comming!!

Moon54 wrote: »
    First get CCleaner;
    More RAM would definitely help the laptop, 2 x 1GB sticks would be ideal, I'm guessing you have 2 x 256MB installed.
    With the RAM upgrade, it may even be possible to get laptop upgraded to Windows 7.

Hi - following a bit of googling I think this is what I need

200 Pin SO DIMM DDR2700 333MHz (2 x 1gb sticks) at mr memory costing 56stg with delivery - am I on the right track?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

try crucial.co.uk for the ram.

i wouldn't bother with the hardrive, an external one is the way to go. and maybe try putting ubuntu on it. Easy to use, free, and really quick! Linux it, your life will become so much easier!

A cheap battery can be found on ebay, plenty of new, non-brand name batteries there for like £30-40.

Clean out the PC first.. all the junk, and temp folders, and spyware using the above software

See how the PC feels

For the ram upgrade - use Ebay to compare prices - 4 gigs of ram nowadays is 35 euros - however older ram is a bit more expensive

Make sure to buy the correct sizes, 512 or 1 gb modules depending on what your laptop takes

An external HDD is much better value, move stuff onto that

On a side note new laptops are incredibly cheap now
    www.saveonlaptops.co.uk

300 euros - fast dualcore proc, 4 gigs ram, 500 gb hdd, win 7, etc

Plus ultraportables with 8 hour batteries stupidly cheap

thanks jonny7 - would I be better getting a powered external drive or a usb powered one for my old laptop?

I will prob just clean up the HDD buy some ram if I can get it at right price and external HDD till I can afford a new one - great prices on that site you gave me though.

shamu2new wrote: »
    thanks jonny7 - would I be better getting a powered external drive or a usb powered one for my old laptop?

I will prob just clean up the HDD buy some ram if I can get it at right price and external HDD till I can afford a new one - great prices on that site you gave me though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_157558467_24?ie=UTF8&node=430544031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=14VM5TVXDVM85QJH4QZ8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=240771967&pf_rd_i=428654031

take your choice.. USB powered is more portable but a little more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

If your going to be bringing the HDD around and plugging it into your laptop in different places the USB powered one might be the better choice. If you don't do much travelling and have plenty of power sockets around the house go for the cheaper option.

A few sites worthy of checking are
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/hard-drives-ext/409/43/239/173/461/525
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,hard-drives,external-hard-drives/11157
    http://www.memoryc.com/storage/externalharddrives.html
    I can't tell you which will have the best deals or whats a good price as I haven't really looked into Ext. HDD's before.

• Advertisement

great ideas here - thanks guys - am mad busy for the next week now in work so I will be a little while getting back with an update - but really appreciate the advice!:)

Advertisement