Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close encounters

Options
  • 18-06-2011 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

First

A sighting of one or more unidentified flying objects:
    • Flying Saucers
    • Odd lights
    • Aerial objects that are not attributable to known human technology

Second

An observation of a UFO, and associated physical effects from the UFO, including:
    • Heat or radiation
    • Damage to terrain
    • Crop circles
    • Human paralysis (Catalepsy
    • Frightened animals
    • Interference with engines or TV or radio reception.
    • Lost Time: a gap in one's memory associated with a UFO encounter

Third

An observation of what Hynek termed "animate beings" observed in association with a UFO sighting. Hynek deliberately chose the somewhat vague term "animate beings" to describe beings associated with UFOs without making any unfounded assumptions regarding the beings' origins or nature. Hynek did not necessarily regard these beings as "extraterrestrials" or "aliens." Additionally, Hynek further expressed discomfort with such reports, but felt a scientific obligation to include them, at the very least because they represented a sizable minority of claimed UFO encounters.

More types of close encounters detailed here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_encounter

Have you ever experienced a close encounter? (or at least what you thought was one) What happened? Would you like to experience one?

I haven't, maybe one day...

Would never want to experience anything beyond a close encounter of the third kind tbh (abductions etc).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Close encounters with fairies/goblins/ghosts have all been experienced throughout history. Aliens are just the latest version of this which fits in with our expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 1saddude

I never liked when people used to word UFO, call it an ALIEN SPACE SHIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

1saddude wrote: »
    I never liked when people used to word UFO, call it an ALIEN SPACE SHIP.

UFO is used because it is an UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object, unless you can prove that it is an ALIEN SPACE SHIP, then it's a UFO.

UFO is used because it is an UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object, unless you can prove that it is an ALIEN SPACE SHIP, then it's a UFO.

But they're all definitely definitely alien space ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

:rolleyes: I think you'll find they were actually weather balloons. :p

• Advertisement

I want to believe...

but I see no proof! Hell they may not have been extra-terrestrial at all, maybe from some sub-aquatic species that started to explore the sky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Whats the story with all the ufo/conspiracy stuff on boards lately?are the admins working in collusion with the reverse vampires?

Whats the story with all the ufo/conspiracy stuff on boards lately?are the admins working in collusion with the reverse vampires?

The mods are in on it too I tells ya! :mad:

I dunno, I think the CT style cover-up style stuff should stay in CT, this is more an experiences/stories based forum IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Myself and the big sis had a visual of a U.F.O way back in the 80s'. Sis was in the garden taking in the washing,it was late evening and I was looking out the upstairs bedroom window, chatting to her. I saw it and told her to look. What we saw was as follows: a bronze w shaped object. Lights on each angle. It stayed put in one area of sky for perhaps 3-5 seconds. Then it quickly moved back a little and then shot off faster than we could track. We often stayed awake late before that, looking out the window tracking satellites as they moved,plus we lived nearish to an airport so we were quite familiar with various types of aircraft. I have not seen anything similar to this since. So, to me it is a U.F.O,not sure if it was alien or not though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Myself and the big sis had a visual of a U.F.O way back in the 80s'. Sis was in the garden taking in the washing,it was late evening and I was looking out the upstairs bedroom window, chatting to her. I saw it and told her to look. What we saw was as follows: a bronze w shaped object. Lights on each angle. It stayed put in one area of sky for perhaps 3-5 seconds. Then it quickly moved back a little and then shot off faster than we could track. We often stayed awake late before that, looking out the window tracking satellites as they moved,plus we lived nearish to an airport so we were quite familiar with various types of aircraft. I have not seen anything similar to this since. So, to me it is a U.F.O,not sure if it was alien or not though!

stealth-bomber-4.jpg

A late evening sun would make that look bronze,although I couldnt tell you why a stealth bomber would be above Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hmm,well it was Finglas,so it's possible!!Not sure about their hovering capabilities and 0-200 in 1.1 second..but it's an option alright.

Only one I ever experienced was what looked at first glance to be a star, but it was not moving with the rest of the stars, rather, seemed to be moving along keeping pace with us, and it was more like a cross, + shape of light in the sky. It didn't seem to be a plane, as there was no jetstream, whereas there were a couple of other jetstreams in the sky, and there were no flashing beacons. Still have no idea what it was!

I want to believe...

but I see no proof! Hell they may not have been extra-terrestrial at all, maybe from some sub-aquatic species that started to explore the sky...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/joke

:rolleyes: You've obviously not been reading my posts in the way they were intended if you think you need to post that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Only one I ever experienced was what looked at first glance to be a star, but it was not moving with the rest of the stars, rather, seemed to be moving along keeping pace with us, and it was more like a cross, + shape of light in the sky. It didn't seem to be a plane, as there was no jetstream, whereas there were a couple of other jetstreams in the sky, and there were no flashing beacons. Still have no idea what it was!
    Did it freak you out a bit? I saw something like that myself a year or so ago, felt very unnerving.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Did it freak you out a bit? I saw something like that myself a year or so ago, felt very unnerving.

Yeah very much so! I couldn't look away though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The term UFO has kinda of lost its meaning over the years mainly due to Hollywood. The first thing that people think of when they hear the term UFO is 'Aliens' when this is far from the truth. The term UFO is used to class anything that is seen by an observer that is unidentified, it may come to light in the future as to what the object was and be 100% explainable but there and then in that moment its classed as a UFO as the observer can't identify the object.

The term being more widely used nowadays to get away from the stigma associated with the word 'UFO' is 'UAP' (Unidentified Aerial Phenomena). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Maybe the international space station or times when it was docked with the space shuttle when it would appear even more obvious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

A late evening sun would make that look bronze,although I couldnt tell you why a stealth bomber would be above Ireland.

If you live anywhere near Shannon. You can get to see lots of different kinds of American military aircraft.

I've seen American fighter jets in formation a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I saw something a few years back. Flying low and at night only 3 lights that seemed at first glance to be stars but on closer look you could see a triangle shape moving slow and blotting out the stars as it went. There was no sound. I believe it was something the military were moving. Wasn't the stealth bomber but I think they do stuff like that all the time and take them over rural areas as much as they can. There are a couple of air bases around here and a good bit of government reserve lands. Experimental stuff they aren't ready to let the public in on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Deki wrote: »
    I saw something a few years back. Flying low and at night only 3 lights that seemed at first glance to be stars but on closer look you could see a triangle shape moving slow and blotting out the stars as it went. There was no sound. I believe it was something the military were moving. Wasn't the stealth bomber but I think they do stuff like that all the time and take them over rural areas as much as they can. There are a couple of air bases around here and a good bit of government reserve lands. Experimental stuff they aren't ready to let the public in on.

Sounds like an American bomber. There were a lot of them around during the Gulf war. I think the American's were also training their pilots.

They do train around here (supposed to do their maneuvers over the government owned land but they like to fly over small towns and show off) those planes are very recognizable -and loud. This was something I hadn't seen before and haven't seen since. I think it was a design that they want to be kept secret or it just didn't work out. It flew just above the roof tops. It was impressive, nearly invisible and so quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I experienced one a few months back. I was walking with my friend at around 9pm, it was pitch black outside. While my friend is talking to me I decide to look in the direction of the sky on his side. Next thing I see this flash in the sky that was like lightening, but it only covered a really small area of the sky. The flash lasted half a second and out of the flash this bright blue dot appeared and shot away at incredible speed. My friend wasn't looking in the same direction so not only did he fail to see the flash but also the blue dot flying away. This all happened in the space of about 2 seconds, really strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

I remember when I was a kid, probably about ten and was outside playing in the middle of a gathering storm. Was quite windy but do not think it was raining otherwise I would not have been out. I looked up in the sky and could see a round object moving back and forth as if bouncing off clouds. Was visible for a minute of two as I recall. I remember commenting to the guy I was with that it could be the eye of a storm. Never occured to me at the time that it may have been a UFO but looking back on it, it's possible. Cannot remember if it looked like a physical metallic type object or more weather related. I would think the latter but would hope for UFO. Although why a UFO might be in North Donegal in the early eighties is beyond me.!

Cokeistan wrote: »
    I experienced one a few months back. I was walking with my friend at around 9pm, it was pitch black outside. While my friend is talking to me I decide to look in the direction of the sky on his side. Next thing I see this flash in the sky that was like lightening, but it only covered a really small area of the sky. The flash lasted half a second and out of the flash this bright blue dot appeared and shot away at incredible speed. My friend wasn't looking in the same direction so not only did he fail to see the flash but also the blue dot flying away. This all happened in the space of about 2 seconds, really strange!

It may have been a blue sprite or ball lightning, look them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

maninasia wrote: »
    It may have been a blue sprite or ball lightning, look them up.

Just checked up a decent amount of images of these but the thing I saw looked completely different to both of them. I've tried looking up what I saw before and I don't seem to be able to find much on it

krd wrote: »
    Sounds like an American bomber. There were a lot of them around during the Gulf war. I think the American's were also training their pilots.

I think it was some sort of military thing. I think my government moves things about at night to avoid notice. I can't explain the absence of engines though, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I believe they might have been returning to Dayton air base. They do a lot of practice runs over federal land, near here. I've seen bomber jets though, it wasn't one of those, they are fairly common sights around here. This was so slow and nearly invisible, and low. I wouldn't have noticed it at all if it hadn't been for it blinking out the stars as it came between them and me. Sort of like turning them off as it passed over. Then I took a better look.:)

With no engine noise, could it have been some sort of glider?

They are called black triangles, probably some type of advanced lighter than air military vehicle. They been seen all over the US and also in the UK, often near air bases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Cokeistan wrote: »

I saw the exact same one time only mine was a red dot instead of a blue dot

Advertisement