Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

SarahBM wrote: »
    That's not what Matt Santos would do!!!
    Dammit we need a Josh Lyman/Syklops on our team! Oh wait............:cool:

Its Syklops Lemon Lyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Oliver Babbish is back!!! Pity about the circumstances though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Really have to watch the all again sometime (though not in time for Tuesday!), if I could find the time...

If Rebel Girl 15 can't make it, and there are only three of us, I've a good friend and fellow West Wing fan who can come with me.

Was a team name decided on? We could go with 'The Crackpots And These Women'? ;)
    J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oliver Babbish is back!!! Pity about the circumstances though!!!

With a gavel?! Tape recorders don't stand a chance. :pac:

jasonb wrote: »
    Really have to watch the all again sometime (though not in time for Tuesday!), if I could find the time...

If Rebel Girl 15 can't make it, and there are only three of us, I've a good friend and fellow West Wing fan who can come with me.

Was a team name decided on? We could go with 'The Crackpots And These Women'? ;)
    J.

I don't think they are that strict about numbers on a team, there was five on some of the teams last time, so bring your friend!

I love the team name!

I liked Gale Force after CJs fish too.
    I'm the Iowa Corn growers perhaps :)

Any other suggestions?!

Well how about we meet in the bar in Dtwo at about half 6. Lets call it a strategy meeting :)

Not an exploratory committee?

syklops wrote: »
    Not an exploratory committee?

Yes Mr Speaker

Toby has just been sacked. I don't really understand the whole situation. I don't think he was covering. But despite disagreeing with the President, he didn't try to argue his point which he has in the past. I felt really sorry for CJ. She was put in a horrible position.
    American politics is fascinating. The Democratic convention episode was nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Toby has just been sacked. I don't really understand the whole situation. I don't think he was covering. But despite disagreeing with the President, he didn't try to argue his point which he has in the past. I felt really sorry for CJ. She was put in a horrible position.

Found that quite a tough going episode to watch, the whole "i just dont want you to think for one second that im one of them" line really hits it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Sam and Toby just set the Mural Room on fire and turns out that Donna has her name on her undies!

• Advertisement

The Debate episode!

I always thought that was so out of character for Toby, that he was the leak. He was too loyal for that. I read an interesting quote from Richard Schiff where he said he really didn't think Toby would have done it either and in the end he decided for himself that Toby must be covering for someone else, it was the only explanation that made sense for him. That said, I don't think that was the writers' intention, I think they just decided that Toby betraying the President would be great drama, whether it was in keeping with Toby's character or not!

J.

I always thought that was so out of character for Toby, that he was the leak. He was too loyal for that. I read an interesting quote from Richard Schiff where he said he really didn't think Toby would have done it either and in the end he decided for himself that Toby must be covering for someone else, it was the only explanation that made sense for him. That said, I don't think that was the writers' intention, I think they just decided that Toby betraying the President would be great drama, whether it was in keeping with Toby's character or not!

J.

Toby betraying the President is Mahoosive big deal, surely it deserved more than one episode, to show the scale of the destruction of their relationship. In fairness they had been colleagues and friends for 9 years at that stage!
    I felt like it was just brushed over a bit. I don't think Toby was covering, but I do think it was in character, but they just skipped Toby's process. I think he would have argued with CJ more and insisted on talking to the President too. and if CJ had tried to block him, he would have found a way to talk to the President.
    And sidebar - the new White House deputy chief of staff has just disappeared again. and Will is back. Why didn't they hire a press secretary?

Disaster in my schedule!
    I just realised I have skipped a disc! I watched episode 12-15 before 8-11!!!
    Backtracking as we speak.

PS Jon Bon Jovi :D

and while Ainsley is blaming it on the bossa nova, the President didn't even know they had a night club ;-)

Loved Leo's trick with the VP debate! Ha ha! Lou and Josh's faces. They really thought it was going to be a disaster!

Danny is back.

So I am back on track again. International crisis averted! :D

I have to go do some work now - boo hiss.

Last two states being counted Nevada and Oregon.

PS I think I cried through most of that episode

on the last disc.

totes emot!

When did you start the run through?

J.

• Advertisement

When did you start the run through?

J.

A month ago! :eek:

:(:(:(:(:(

good question for the quiz, name all the presidential kids - Bartlets and Santos'

Seven seasons in a month is good going! :) As for the kids, I can remember Ellie, Elizabeth and Zoe but I can't remember the Santos kids...

J.

Seven seasons in a month is good going! :) As for the kids, I can remember Ellie, Elizabeth and Zoe but I can't remember the Santos kids...

J.

ah ha! no one does and that is my point! But I know they are Peter and Miranda!
    Boom We win!

Well... Now everyone who reads Boards knows! :) And there's no guarantee the question will come up either... If it doesn't we should put down the names (along with the real answer) for the last question of the night... :)

J.

Well boys and girls that's it.
    I have watched all 156 episodes of what I think is the best written television drama series to ever grace the silver screen.

And I am just going to leave this here!

:D

Bring on Tuesday night!

• Advertisement

Im in withdrawl now

On of my fav moments!

:D

Josh: Toby! Come quick! Sam is getting his ass kicked by a girl!

Toby: Ginger, get the popcorn! :D:D:D

So many great moments! Lots of classics in the earlier seasons, like the Butterball Hotline, 'There's a man in a hole', 'That's your Chief of Staff' etc. Some cool moments in the later seasons too, loved the Intro to the episode where Santos' staff are all trying to get the latest polling numbers, and when they finally get them they all just start smiling at the computer screen, with no words spoken, as the music plays in the background. And it all leads to Josh and Donna's kiss if I remember correctly! :)

J.

Halfway through Season 6. How did Josh not strangle Santos?

Edit: And how did no-one strangle his wife ever? She is so irritating!

She was a little bit alright! Though I suppose she really wasn't expecting Santos to get so far...

Am I the only one from the team not re-watching all the episodes? :) My role will definitely be the 'yep, I think you're right' person... :)

J.

She was a little bit alright! Though I suppose she really wasn't expecting Santos to get so far...

Am I the only one from the team not re-watching all the episodes? :) My role will definitely be the 'yep, I think you're right' person... :)

J.

Since Thursday I have watched Season 4 to halfway through 6. So yeah I think you are, but several episodes I have been able to quote what was coming next dialogue wise. So hopefully, we will do well.

• Advertisement

Come season 7 how did Santos not murder Josh!!!

It was great when Sam came back

so S2 - Somebody's going to emergency, somebody's going to Jail.............so the cops log on to protestors websites to find out their plans..........oh technology, now it would be their facebook page - imagine, this is a show that was made PRE-facebook!

cjmcork wrote: »
    so S2 - Somebody's going to emergency, somebody's going to Jail.............so the cops log on to protestors websites to find out their plans..........oh technology, now it would be their facebook page - imagine, this is a show that was made PRE-facebook!

CHOON!!!!

OT I know, but whats the story with this choon phenomena?

I presume it means 'Tune' as in great song, right? But I could be wrong, I'm not down with the kids any more...

J.

New York minute is one of my favourite songs ever!
    I meant CHOON as on brilliant song! Tune! To be correct.

I'm in total withdrawl
    do ye think the where tight to end it or should they have continued on with the Santos administration?
    Personally I wish it had continued

I'm in total withdrawl
    do ye think the where tight to end it or should they have continued on with the Santos administration?
    Personally I wish it had continued

Which would you prefer 4 fabluous seasons and 3 decent ones, or 4 fabulous seasons 3 decent ones and 1 or 2 mediocre ones? There is always the argument that additional episodes would have been fantastic, but that so rarely happens. I think they did well to get as many fantastic seasons as they did.

I think Mrs Santos character would have needed a complete re-write. At one stage she wanted to fire half the house keeping staff, because they "werent needed".

SarahBM, have you watched The Newsroom? I loved it, but it attracted much ire on both boards and elsewhere. If you've not watched it, I'd recommend it to aid your withdrawal.

Am I the only one who liked Helen Santos?

I liked her, but she did have her moments. I just think that she was struggling with everything that came with becoming the First Lady, but they didn't always show those struggles well.

I watched all of The Newsroom, and I enjoyed it, but it never reached its potential for me, though it had moments that showed it could.

As for making more West Wing episodes, I think they ended at the right time. Part of me would have loved more, but I'd have hated it to go downhill. Better to end when the quality was still there. It's like wishing your favourite song had an extra verse or chorus, to make it last longer, but it wouldn't be the same anymore...

J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I also thought it ended at the right time.

I didn't dislike Helen Santos, but couldn't tell you the first thing about her.

• Advertisement

I didn't dislike Helen Santos, but couldn't tell you the first thing about her.

She looked good in a thong.

MARGARET!!!!!

Strategic Meeting on the Hill (Dtwo) at 6:30

Defcon 4 people! It's D Day!!!!

See ye there!

Myself and my friend will be there, I have a meeting in town beforehand so I could even be a little early. Thought of another terrible pun for a team name: Big Block of Cheese Boards. Geddit? 'Boards'? Do you see what I did there? ;)

J.

Myself and my friend will be there, I have a meeting in town beforehand so I could even be a little early. Thought of another terrible pun for a team name: Big Block of Cheese Boards. Geddit? 'Boards'? Do you see what I did there? ;)

J.

Love it!!! that should definitely be our name!!!

I have a big red bag so shouldn't be too hard to spot me :-) see ye there!

Assuming Sarah is the only female I think the team name should be The Crackpots and This Woman.

Im on the episode where Toby has confessed to CJ about the leak.

My theory: Leo was about to be sub-poenaed, and Toby knew CJ's position was indefensible. Toby thought he was protecting them both, but he wasn't the leak.

I LOL'ed in the previous episode where Leo asks Anabeth if she wants to have dinner, and she says they shouldn't because of the tension. They would have been a cute couple, and more believable by the end than Josh and Donna IMO.

So if Toby wasn't the leak who the he'll was it!?!? Someone who Greg Brock had contact with!!!

Those two team names are great :-) really looking forward to it!

Well, there'll be two women as my friend is Emma, so we could go with The Crackpots and These Women! :) I'm probably spending more time on the team name than I should be... ;)

J.

So if Toby wasn't the leak who the he'll was it!?!? Someone who Greg Brock had contact with!!!

Those two team names are great :-) really looking forward to it!

Well as I see it(and I realise we are into the field of theory, not fact which we need for tonight but)

1. If Greg Brock overheard it in a West Wing corridor, then he isn't covering a source and he isn't contempt of court. Thats espionage and he might see the light of day around the time his 3 yeard old daughter becomes a grandmother.

2. The leak could have been a low level staffer or a military aide or a congressman who had been privy to the information, or it could have been some tinfoil hat wearing nutjob who just happened to have it right on the money.

Toby knew both the councils office and the FBI's primary suspect was CJ and that her position was indefensible, and he knew Leo was about to go infront of Congress. He fell on his sword.

Based on my understanding of Tobys character, that makes more sense to me, then him leaking Top Secret information.

In season 1 of the Newsroom(written by one Aaron Sorkin), an NSA whistleblower leaks to Charlie that the NSA is spying on everyone. Six months later, Edward Snowden happens.

But if Toby fell on his sword, so to speak, why was the president so hesitant to sign the pardon. Surely he realized Toby was protecting CJ. Anyway, this discussion will continue.....

• Advertisement

But if Toby fell on his sword, so to speak, why was the president so hesitant to sign the pardon. Surely he realized Toby was protecting CJ. Anyway, this discussion will continue.....

Ok I'm there now. Sat at I think the main bar.

Advertisement