Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

syklops wrote: »
    Well as I see it(and I realise we are into the field of theory, not fact which we need for tonight but)

Based on my understanding of Tobys character, that makes more sense to me, then him leaking Top Secret information.
    Has everyone forgotten what the leak was about? Toby's late brother was an astronaut who had spent time on the ISS, and the leak was about a secret military space shuttle that had probably docked at the ISS. The only mystery to me was why no-one in the show made the connection ... :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

not jealous at all of a quiz that I could totally take home the top prize being on and me not being there :-(

OMG - TWO CATHEDRALS!

Epic television

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

4th place! I think we did the Boards.ie West Wing thread proud!

Great craic, though the questions were very tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, it was a good night, thanks for letting us tag along Sarah! Some easy questions that everyone knew, some that some knew and some didn't know, and then some that were just ridiculously tough! There were a couple we had right and changed our minds, but only a couple so we might have sneaked third but that would have been the best we could do. Still, not too bad a showing at all, I think there were 38 tables, so we did ourselves proud!

Highlight for me was the absolute outrage over the 'Who was the next Press Secretary' question, there was uproar! :) You can't beat geek outrage (and I include myself in the 'geek' label). Also loved Mandy being booed when she appeared on the screen... :) Some good team names as well.

All in all a good night for a good cause...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

cjmcork wrote: »
    not jealous at all of a quiz that I could totally take home the top prize being on and me not being there :-(

It was fairly tough at times, with very specific questions. Its quite arrogant of you to say you could have totally taken home the top prize.
    Has everyone forgotten what the leak was about? Toby's late brother was an astronaut who had spent time on the ISS, and the leak was about a secret military space shuttle that had probably docked at the ISS. The only mystery to me was why no-one in the show made the connection .

CJ made the connection. She asked Toby if his brother had ever mentioned anything about another shuttle.

If his brother had been in the ISS at the time of the leak, then of course, the finger of blame would point right at Toby, but having buried his brother a few weeks before, the motive was much less clear. To be honest, I think it was just lazy writing. They needed a reason to revisit the Whitehouse, and distract from the campaign.

syklops wrote: »
    It was fairly tough at times, with very specific questions. Its quite arrogant of you to say you could have totally taken home the top prize.

CJ made the connection. She asked Toby if his brother had ever mentioned anything about another shuttle.

If his brother had been in the ISS at the time of the leak, then of course, the finger of blame would point right at Toby, but having buried his brother a few weeks before, the motive was much less clear. To be honest, I think it was just lazy writing. They needed a reason to revisit the Whitehouse, and distract from the campaign.

'arrogant'! I think 'quietly confident behind a laptop in Cork' is what you mean!:D

Wow - 38 tables, that's some showing for a tv show off the air for a good few years now

well done to all - sounds like it was a great fun

arrogant...............pphhhhhhhhhhhfffffffff :P

"Arrogant" said in his best Toby voice!

There were some great team names!

If you have some time to kill, check out this site:

http://www.westwingtranscripts.com/

It has all of the first 4 seasons, nearly all of the 5th, a couple of the 6th and most of the 7th. A great way to pass some time... :)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Mrs Shrek

What age was Jed Bartlet supposed to be in the first series? In one of the episodes he talks about his 11 yr old grandaughter Annie. We know Zoe is 19 and we find out Ellie is 24 in season 2. I'm only hitting season 3 now and no sign of his eldest daughter Elizabeth but am trying to figure out if she is a lot older than her sisters or was she a teen mum? Maybe the Bartlets became parents at a young age but doubtful with Abby being a doctor.

• Advertisement

Mrs Shrek wrote: »
    What age was Jed Bartlet supposed to be in the first series? In one of the episodes he talks about his 11 yr old grandaughter Annie. We know Zoe is 19 and we find out Ellie is 24 in season 2. I'm only hitting season 3 now and no sign of his eldest daughter Elizabeth but am trying to figure out if she is a lot older than her sisters or was she a teen mum? Maybe the Bartlets became parents at a young age but doubtful with Abby being a doctor.

Well, according to Wiki etc. he was born in the early 40s. So that would make him mid 50s in Season 1. Also according to Wiki, Abbey was born on the 13th Feb '42, and they got married in '67. So if Annie is 12 in '99, she was probably born in '87, which means the eldest Elizabeth could have been then is approx. 20, assuming Elizabeth wasn't born out of wedlock.

All according to wiki of course, and they do tend to change things on TV as the seasons go on too, depending on how good they are with continuity...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So what you are saying is...........anything they kundu, you kundu better? :D

Kirby wrote: »
    So what you are saying is...........anything they kundu, you kundu better? :D

Especially as that's one of the answers we got wrong! ;)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

jasonb wrote: »
    Highlight for me was the absolute outrage over the 'Who was the next Press Secretary' question, there was uproar! :) You can't beat geek outrage (and I include myself in the 'geek' label). Also loved Mandy being booed when she appeared on the screen... :) Some good team names as well.

All in all a good night for a good cause...

J.

There wasn't though. Toby and Will Bailey took over, and Annabelle was deputy press secretary.

The question is flawed.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    There wasn't though. Toby and Will Bailey took over, and Annabelle was deputy press secretary.

The question is flawed.

I agree, and that happens at Table Quizzes sometimes, there were one or two other ones that weren't great either. But what I loved was the very vocal reaction to it, compared to some of the more 'sedate' table quizzes I've been at... :)

J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well done on the quiz, folks.

The way Toby was written after Sorkin left was appalling.

Well done on the quiz, folks.

The way Toby was written after Sorkin left was appalling.

He didn't even appear in the last episode :(

Josh and Toby physically fighting, I can't watch it
    Leo resigning/being fired by Bartlet
    CJ being chief of staff (Plot convenience, I just don't buy it she's qualified to be promoted for such a big job, unless Leo deliberately chose her over Josh to give Josh the freedom to find the next candidate for President)
    Kate Harper (Yeah she was all right, but she got lots of exposure, Nancy McNally was much the better character and I would've liked to see her more)
    Ryan fcking Pierce

That said, Season 6/7 were brilliant. Didn't want either Santos or Vinick to lose :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A bit of trivia: in all the shots of the real White House over seven seasons, I'm pretty sure that the only time we see the actual West Wing is near the end of the very last episode, behind CJ as she's walking away. Immediately after the tourist asks her "do you work there?", the camera pans over the huge Eisenhower Executive Office Building (where most of the Executive Branch works including the VP), then the West Wing (the low building), then finally the main Residence building, the one we call "The White House".

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

After binging on the 7 seasons of the West Wing over the last month I am in total withdrawal!!

fellow Wingnuts - just thought you'd all like to know that at this time of the year Butterball has a hotline staffed by experts!

• Advertisement

fellow Wingnuts - just thought you'd all like to know that at this time of the year Butterball has a hotline staffed by experts!

Not at this time of the year though. It opens in November and closes around the end of December.

How pathetic and childish is Mrs Bartlet in Season 5?

Rages at Leo and Jed over Zoeys kidnapping, and about Shareefs assassination which had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Fidel Castro. Like seriously, did I dream I just watched that episode?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    How pathetic and childish is Mrs Bartlet in Season 5?

Rages at Leo and Jed over Zoeys kidnapping, and about Shareefs assassination which had nothing to do with it.

Or did it? They tried a lot in those episodes to link Zoey's kidnapping to the assassination, and get Abby pissed off at Jed for making a decision (killing Shareef) that put their daughter at risk.

But, when they found Zoey and wrapped up that story line, they never made it clear exactly who took her and why! So, was it in retaliation for Shareef, was it just some 'local' terrorists? It was never really answered clearly, at least I can't remember that it was anyhow...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I've been watching a few episodes here and there on Netflix although finding it increasingly hard considering ive got so many other shows to catch up on. Great show but you don't need to be to aware of American politics to know which side its leans towards and can be a wee bit sentimental at times but the dialogue is razor sharp and find most of the characters interesting for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sam has re-named it "Everything but" ... The Presidents refusal to go through the report with Mrs.Laningham :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Mrs.Laningham :)

We should all be obliged to shout her name periodically, or when the portico door opens.

I wanted to call the cat Mrs. Laningham but I was overruled

Could you not veto the over-rule, or did you not have enough votes to sustain the veto? ;)

J.

• Advertisement

they pulled the H.CON 172 - I got centured

swear to god the end of 7A WF 83429 gives me goosebumps every time - had to google the music, it's Lisa Gerrard's 'Sanvean' for anyone looking for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

SarahBM wrote: »
    they pulled the H.CON 172 - I got centured

Choke of their appropriations and refuse to agree a budget until the cat's name is changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

swear to god the end of 7A WF 83429 gives me goosebumps every time - had to google the music, it's Lisa Gerrard's 'Sanvean' for anyone looking for it

Just downloaded from iTunes. Seriously haunting music - Sanvean (I Am Your Shadow)!

Thanking You,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Working my way through season 2 at the moment... Ellie's been a very bold girl! :D

You’re a cheap hack. And if you come after Leo, I’m gonna bust you like a pinata.

I want Sam as my lawyer.

• Advertisement

Sam was great. I love the episode 20 hours in America when Josh Donna and Toby get left behind by the motorcade so Sam has to staff the President. Its brilliant.

Do not mess with CJ. :eek:

Best analogy ever! CJ is an absolute legend!

I think CJ was actually my favourite character. There was one where I think she and Toby had an argument and Toby ends it with "You look a milion dollars by the way" and CJ goes "Dont try to make up with me". I find it funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I found CJ's near perfectness grating to be honest.

Most of the characters make mistakes or have deep character flaws like Leo's alcoholism for example. Or toby's personality. :p

But CJ's flaws are those mary sue type ones that arent really flaws......like she works too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

I finished season 7 at the weekend. Although my interest waned a bit in seasons 5 & 6 I think overall it was very good. Might even watch it again sometime.

I love this arc and scene. You can really see Toby's brain whirring away, great acting, tension and the editing. Oh, and the ball makes the scene, too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Sad news that Roger Rees died on the weekend, Lord Marbury was a great character in the show.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Do not mess with CJ. :eek:

One of the suggested videos after that clip was this one:

One of my favourite scenes ever :D

A SECWET PWAN TO FWIGHT INFWATION!

Leo's death and funeral
    makes my cry every bloody time

reckoned I'd better spoiler it, though reckon most people know at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Loved the show.

Hated Donna.

I know she's the 'Basil Exposition' character....
    "Josh... Tell me why we are doing x, proposing y, attacking z"...

Whiny voice, not that great an actress.
    Sorry Janel.

Kirby wrote: »
    I found CJ's near perfectness grating to be honest.

Most of the characters make mistakes or have deep character flaws like Leo's alcoholism for example. Or toby's personality. :p

But CJ's flaws are those mary sue type ones that arent really flaws......like she works too hard.

aw if she was better with her oral hygiene, she'd never have had to have woot canaw;)

Loved the show.

Hated Donna.

I know she's the 'Basil Exposition' character....
    "Josh... Tell me why we are doing x, proposing y, attacking z"...

Whiny voice, not that great an actress.
    Sorry Janel.

Maybe Im naiive when it comes to bad acting, but often times when someone says "Such and such is a poor actor", I need or look for examples. Janel, I can't think of anytime when I thought her acting was poor. Also, often times, poor acting is actually the result, IMO of bad direction.

Can you give an example of her poor acting?

I thought she was a good fit. She was attractive without being super hot. Smart but not another genius and adorable yet quirky, which sometimes got pushed a little too far. I mean, who puts their name on their underwear? For no other reason than those nylon tags scratch, and on your underwear they will scratch you somewhere. You would only do it once, IMO.

Ainsley Hayes should debate Donald Trump. She'd kick his arse any day of the week.

Ainsley Hayes should debate Donald Trump. She'd kick his arse any day of the week.

I'd rather the RNC select her rather than trump!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement