Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

touts wrote: »
    ****!!!!!!!!

I've fallen a bit behind on the podcast and didn't hear about the show in Dublin until the tickets were all gone.

Off to mass to give out and stub a cigarette into the floor!

I think there was someone selling their ticket on the Facebook page Fans of The West Wing Weekly........

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Got my ticket in the post this morning! Whoop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Richard Schiff tweeted today that he will be in Dublin on April 11!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Someone far more computer literate than me may be able to put up the link).

Personally I am thrilled as Toby is one of my favourite characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Absolutely delighted when I saw his tweet today. I thought the guest might be someone more "behind the scenes" like a writer or producer on the show. Richard Schiff always comes across like a very likeable and intelligent guy so looking forward to it. Any idea what episode they'll be discussing?

Edit: actually I've just seen a tweet confirming the episode is "Evidence of things not see" which I believe is the one where they play poker during a lockdown and Matthew Perry was a guest star

I cannot wait! If anyone wants to meet up for a few drinks before hand send me a prvt message!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Should be a great night. Where would be the best place to re-watch that episode - would like to watch it again before the show but the box set isn't on the Sky on demand service any more?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Okay, this is probably old news to you guys, but Wiki's featured article on Thomas Paine led me to look up the Founding Fathers, and there actually was a real Josiah Bartlett from New Hampshire who was an ancestor of "our" President:
    The fictional U.S. president on The West Wing, is named "Josiah Bartlet". Despite the spelling difference, the character is a fictional direct descendant of this New Hampshire signer of the Declaration of Independence. On one episode, the fictional Bartlet is getting ready for his official presidential portrait and asks, "no chance John Trumbull is available to do this?"

John Trumbull being a painter during the American War of Independence who depicted some historic events.

• Advertisement

2 more days until Vicar St... who's going?

me! I'm all abuzz now that I see Schiff is in Dublin already!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yep, going. :)

Richard Schiff is doing a crawl in Dublin as we speak.........he's tweeting from town at the moment

Marlee Matlin is in Dublin at the moment. Wonder if she might show up? Bill Clinton would be a long shot I guess but obviously he's in the city also...

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Hi guys, due to family reasons I can't go tomorrow night. If you know anyone who wants two tickets let me know. The tickets will be pdf but I have a genuine reason for selling which I will share via pm to those who want the tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Only one more sleep !!!!!!!!!!!!

Really looking forward to tomorrow night.

You idiot! I'm Joey Lucas. :D

Did I just witness that?! Wow...

Yes.. yes you did!

I was an eye witness!

conor_ie wrote: »
    Yes.. yes you did!

I was an eye witness!

Aw guys that was brilliant....so glad I went!

Marlee Matlin is in Dublin at the moment. Wonder if she might show up? Bill Clinton would be a long shot I guess but obviously he's in the city also...

Fair play on this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

That was brilliant. Really enjoyed it.

Never knew there was so many west wing fans in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

What happened? How was the show? Sickened I missed it.

G_R wrote: »
    That was brilliant. Really enjoyed it.

Never knew there was so many west wing fans in Dublin!

Ireland...people also travelled from the UK

they could have sold out a much bigger venue

Very entertaining evening, was glad I got the chance to attend. A lot ot people sitting around us had flown in from the UK, having missed out on tickets for the London show.

Was great of the three lads to stick around afterwards as well for photos and a chat with the audience. It was about 11:30 by the time we got to them but it felt like they were happy to take as long as was necessary to have a word with everyone there that wanted to say hello - they really must be talented actors to be able to make it seem like they were still interested at that stage of the night!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Richard Schiff was on Sean Moncrief on Newstalk yesterday too - on playback if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Aaron Sorkin confirms West Wing revival talks – but will the old cast return?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-west-wing/news/a855514/aaron-sorkin-west-wing-revival-bradley-whitford-sterling-k-brown/
    In a recent episode of The West Wing Weekly podcast, Sorkin was asked by Josh Lyman actor Bradley Whitford whether he would "consider bringing some characters back" for a reboot.

In response, the Molly's Game director revealed that a conversation with NBC chairman Robert Greenblatt left him with the impression the network was interested in another season.

"'I want you to do The West Wing again in some form,'" Sorkin recalled him saying. "'You can do it for 9 episodes, 13 episodes. You do it with a different cast, the same cast.'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

It's neoliberal rubbish - the wealthy working on behalf of the ultra wealthy to save us all from right-wing neanderthals.

Give it a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's neoliberal rubbish - the wealthy working on behalf of the ultra wealthy to save us all from right-wing neanderthals.

Give it a miss.

Interesting take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Sorkin getting fond of directing - his own script, with Ali G as Abbie Hoffman

Trial of the Chicago 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Richard Schiff Confirms Talks Of Long-Rumored ‘The West Wing’ Reboot
    Good news for fans of The West Wing — a reboot might be on the horizon. Actor Richard Schiff recently revealed that he has talked to show creator Aaron Sorkin about bringing the popular drama back to television.

“Aaron has said he wanted it to happen,” Schiff said on his appearance on the Popcorn Talk Network’s I Could Never Be. The Emmy winner who played Toby Ziegler on the series said that Sorkin “might go with a new administration, in which case, you know, some of us might show up as consultants…it makes no sense, maybe one or two of us to be in the White House.”

During the interview, he shared his ideas for what could happen in the reboot. “I’ve pitched it to Aaron. He loved it,” he said. “I don’t think it should be in the White House. I think that’s overcooked. My image of a show in the White House now is something like House of Cards, which is more apropos for the current administration — and Veep.”

He continued, “You know, you combine Veep and House of Cards and you got, you got this administration. It’s a great idea…Where does politics really happen? And that’s the question. And especially in this era where there’s such an excitement in the grassroots level and on the local level, and, and it really all happens in the state level.”

https://deadline.com/2019/01/richard-schiff-the-west-wing-reboot-aaron-sorkin-1202531082/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

dogsears wrote: »
    Sorkin getting fond of directing - his own script, with Ali G as Abbie Hoffman

Trial of the Chicago 7

He's been trying to get that off the ground forever, it's on hold again, afaik.
    Richard Schiff Confirms Talks Of Long-Rumored ‘The West Wing’ Reboot

https://deadline.com/2019/01/richard-schiff-the-west-wing-reboot-aaron-sorkin-1202531082/

Hmm. Well, if it's just for nostalgia sake (and cash) I don't see much point. If was of its time too, late 90s/early 2000s. Unless it was somehow about Bartlett's days as Governor. I dunno.

I'm on my umpteenth re-watch but not sure I'd like a re-boot..............I think it was lightning in a bottle and idealist, a total antidote to the current political climate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

And you think Americans are happy with the current political climate? If anything, I'd wager the type of West Wing idealism the show was famous for would attract plenty of people disenfranchised with politics over the last couple of years.

Something tells me that plenty of people would tune in. A reboot would do gangbusters. Although I hate that word. A continuation is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Started rewatching also, and while the dialog is still very snappy and the humor is good, it gets very sentinemtal and idealistic at times (I.e. at least once per episode). It’s a million miles from where (peoples views of) politics is now, 20 years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

cjmcork wrote: »
    I'm on my umpteenth re-watch but not sure I'd like a re-boot..............I think it was lightning in a bottle and idealist, a total antidote to the current political climate
    bbbbb wrote: »
    Started rewatching also, and while the dialog is still very snappy and the humor is good, it gets very sentinemtal and idealistic at times (I.e. at least once per episode). It’s a million miles from where (peoples views of) politics is now, 20 years later[/QUOTE]

Yes there are. But I'm just starting my gazillionth rewatch and there are still bits that make my eyes prick (not totally sure of that expression).

Season 2 in the hospital where Leo has the decency and humanity to say "howya doin kid?" to Zoe, and then when Jed kisses Leo on the cheek just before he goes under (can't even imagine Trump doing anything similar)

• Advertisement

If you haven't already try and listen to S07 ep18 of the podcast. It features a lovely tribute to John Spencer and Richard Schiff's eulogy for John

conor_ie wrote: »
    If you haven't already try and listen to S07 ep18 of the podcast. It features a lovely tribute to John Spencer and Richard Schiff's eulogy for John

Really don’t think I’m emotionally available for that this week!!

It's well worth listening to.

I'm downloading the John Wells one now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I went to the podcast recording in London for “Transition” - what a night!

I went to the podcast recording in London for “Transition” - what a night!

Listening to it. I've no memory at all of Rob Lowe being in 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Did he run for Congress?

• Advertisement

The Wake Up Call was a 7th season episode involving a an iranian jet shooting down a passenger jet. It feels very apt after the events of Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Not West Wing, but Aaron Sorkin related,

The Newsroom is available on Sky Boxsets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

He returned as a guest for the last couple of shows

Josh went to California to get him to join the team of the new Prez

Not West Wing, but Aaron Sorkin related,

The Newsroom is available on Sky Boxsets

Loved that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As others have said he came back near the end and sent Josh on holiday because he had a meltdown about a Blackberry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement