Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Comments

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Anyone else tempted to start it from the beginning all over again after all this reminiscing? It really is one of the all time greats

Easiest way to stream it in Ireland?

I’ve rewatched it about 8 times now I think. Will start again next month. It’s like an old friend

Anyone else tempted to start it from the beginning all over again after all this reminiscing? It really is one of the all time greats

Easiest way to stream it in Ireland?

I do that about 4 times a year anyway.
    I’ve rewatched it about 8 times now I think. Will start again next month. It’s like an old friend

8 times?

Pfft, lightweight. I'm conservatively on my 40th rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Ludo wrote: »
    My wife was only asked me after watching the episode last night to start at the beginning AGAIN. Must be fifth or sixth time now.
    It doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere at the moment. Used to be on Sky but went off it a long time ago and never came back. I have the DVD box set but no DVD player other than in the kids xbox in another room.

Pity no streaming service seems to have it here.

If you have Sky Q, you can download it. That's what I did when we had same installed.

I do that about 4 times a year anyway.

8 times?

Pfft, lightweight. I'm conservatively on my 40th rewatch.

Well clearly there’s a big age difference and I am a mere child

*that’s a lie. I’m old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see the special is available now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I see the special is available now

Where? A certain bay on the seven seas or has it passed through customs and excise?

If it’s that bay then say nowt. I’m NOT looking for a link

Where? A certain bay on the seven seas or has it passed through customs and excise?

If it’s that bay then say nowt. I’m NOT looking for a link

I'm clearly tired. It took me about 3 minutes to figure out what you were on about.

I just say available when it's out in the wild and available from all good/bad sources.
    Or for films it's "available for home viewing".
    Picked it up at lunch so will try and watch this evening.
    I did notice it's 60+ mins so maybe stretched the episode out a bit and/or includes other things like people talking about what it's in aid of

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I watched the special yesterday.. and I loved it!

There was a nice flow to it.. Sterling K Brown is great as Leo... It was great seeing all the gang back together.. Martin Sheen looks amazing for his age... If you skip through the political messages it's about the same running time as a standard episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I liked it a lot I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

grr, jealous, tried to 'watch' it last evening, but no joy

Yeah I thought it was great. I will spoiler this as some people might like a pleasant surprise
    The fact they got pretty much everyone who had a speaking role from the episode including minor characters that people like, like Ed and Larry.
    And then Ainsley narrating.

Bill Clinton looking very thin.

Was hoping James Hong would be back as the Chinese ambassador since who doesn't like seeing Lo Pan, but I guess at his age it would be risky

If I had one complaint I think it would be the casting of Leo. not taking away from Sterling's acting ability, but felt he was too intense for the role. for me West Wing is a drama and pretty light hearted a lot of the time, but it seemed every time Sterling spoke he was on a different show. Was half expecting some tension music to play.
    But saying that, maybe it's because I just watched this week, every time he was speaking I heard him, but in my head I was also hearing John Spencer's voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

I just bought this series on iTunes (US account), it’s on special at the moment down from $140 to $40.

First episode in and I have to say, without a doubt, that was some of the finest writing I’ve ever witnessed on TV.

And as for Sheen’s introduction - 6 minutes from the end with an offscreen biblical quote. Just wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

rushfan wrote: »
    If you have Sky Q, you can download it. That's what I did when we had same installed.

Nope..tis gone a good while from Sky On Demand.

Didn't realise Sorkin made that Chicago 7 film. Must give it a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭jogdish

OU812 wrote: »
    I just bought this series on iTunes (US account), it’s on special at the moment down from $140 to $40.

First episode in and I have to say, without a doubt, that was some of the finest writing I’ve ever witnessed on TV.

And as for Sheen’s introduction - 6 minutes from the end with an offscreen biblical quote. Just wow.
    Yup, great into.

Some amazing eps to come, enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah I thought it was great. I will spoiler this as some people might like a pleasant surprise
    The fact they got pretty much everyone who had a speaking role from the episode including minor characters that people like, like Ed and Larry.
    And then Ainsley narrating.

Bill Clinton looking very thin.

Was hoping James Hong would be back as the Chinese ambassador since who doesn't like seeing Lo Pan, but I guess at his age it would be risky

If I had one complaint I think it would be the casting of Leo. not taking away from Sterling's acting ability, but felt he was too intense for the role. for me West Wing is a drama and pretty light hearted a lot of the time, but it seemed every time Sterling spoke he was on a different show. Was half expecting some tension music to play.
    But saying that, maybe it's because I just watched this week, every time he was speaking I heard him, but in my head I was also hearing John Spencer's voice.

I actually really liked Sterling in the role, Leo was probably my favourite character in the series and imo the anchor of the staff - I felt Sterling played the character that way and gave him the gravitas he was due. Leo had a natural authority and for that reason was able to take a lighter tone without fear of losing respect.

Overall I was really impressed by this. Visually it looked superb - better than the original show. The cinematography was brilliant and I loved the stripped back sets, which puts the focus purely on the actors and the dialogue, both of which were delivered impecabbly. It wasn't a retread of the original or some fan-service reunion stuff, it was a very well put together performance.

steve_r wrote: »
    I actually really liked Sterling in the role, Leo was probably my favourite character in the series and imo the anchor of the staff - I felt Sterling played the character that way and gave him the gravitas he was due. Leo had a natural authority and for that reason was able to take a lighter tone without fear of losing respect.

Overall I was really impressed by this. Visually it looked superb - better than the original show. The cinematography was brilliant and I loved the stripped back sets, which puts the focus purely on the actors and the dialogue, both of which were delivered impecabbly. It wasn't a retread of the original or some fan-service reunion stuff, it was a very well put together performance.

I wonder can we expect more?

Wasn't there talk of a new series? Set in the same world as they were saying we could see the original characters turn up.

Though would Sorkin ignore the events from season 5 on?

Wasn't there talk of a new series? Set in the same world as they were saying we could see the original characters turn up.

Though would Sorkin ignore the events from season 5 on?

*Fingers crossed* that talk was during President Trumps presidency. A positive democratic TV series to contrast with the current(former) president would have made some sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭trashcan

Didn't realise Sorkin made that Chicago 7 film. Must give it a watch

Watched it last night. If you're a fan of the West Wing I'd say you'll enjoy it. The writing is as you'd expect from Sorkin and some of the Courtroom scenes are very good. Frank Langella as the almost unbelieveably biased Judge, and Sacha Baron Cohen as Abbie Hoffman are particularly good. Great cast all round.

Read a couple of negative reviews online from the Guardian and the Irish Times, who seemed upset that the film didn't focus more on the Blank Panthers angle. Can't say I agree, and it strikes me that the reviewers in question are just falling over themselves trying to align themselves with the BLM movement. The film shows quite clearly the disgraceful treatment of Bobby Seale in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Back streaming here in a couple of days...something to do in lockdown anyway :-)

https://twitter.com/C4Press/status/1318204739784499201

Looking at the cast for One Tree Hill I discovered it's another name for Mandyville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

The first three seasons of The West Wing added to the RTE Player today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

quidel wrote: »
    Also all available on all4

trashcan wrote: »
    Watched it last night. If you're a fan of the West Wing I'd say you'll enjoy it. The writing is as you'd expect from Sorkin and some of the Courtroom scenes are very good. Frank Langella as the almost unbelieveably biased Judge, and Sacha Baron Cohen as Abbie Hoffman are particularly good. Great cast all round.

Read a couple of negative reviews online from the Guardian and the Irish Times, who seemed upset that the film didn't focus more on the Blank Panthers angle. Can't say I agree, and it strikes me that the reviewers in question are just falling over themselves trying to align themselves with the BLM movement. The film shows quite clearly the disgraceful treatment of Bobby Seale in court.

My yard stick for most movies is if it gets slated in the IT, I'll give it a go and might even love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Started it again on the All 4 app (because fúck RTE) and it feels like visiting an old friend you really liked

Any workaround for skipping the Ads on the All 4 app? They're not quiet RTE Player annoying level, but there's at least 8 mins of unskippable Ads per episode

It's good to see this powerhouse of an actor in action again (and he's one of many on there)

220px-Josiah_Bartlett_with_chair.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

quidel wrote: »

I think TG4 are showing it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Started it again on the All 4 app (because fúck RTE) and it feels like visiting an old friend you really liked

Any workaround for skipping the Ads on the All 4 app? They're not quiet RTE Player annoying level, but there's at least 8 mins of unskippable Ads per episode

It's good to see this powerhouse of an actor in action again (and he's one of many on there)

220px-Josiah_Bartlett_with_chair.jpg

All4+ is £3.99 a month or £39.99 per year

• Advertisement

Does anyone else bail after the fourth season on rewatches? I'm nearly sure I did on my last rewatch about 7 years ago and I think I'll do the same this time around

Apart from the Debora Cahn written episodes, it becomes such a dry and humorless show when compared to the stellar first 4 seasons

Season 5 in particular is very hard to get through

They quickly wrapped up season 4's cliffhanger.
    "The President's daughter is mis.... oh never mind we found her"

They quickly wrapped up season 4's cliffhanger.
    "The President's daughter is mis.... oh never mind we found her"

What an incredible ending though

As soon as Sorkin leaves the show you can feel the drop in quality and the tone changes to oh so serious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Quite liked it. The empty theatre was definitely odd in terms of the vibe, but it felt Sorkin and had the overhead lights, etc. I'd certainly pay for a ticket to see the Sam, Toby and Bartlett chess scenes - that father moment landed. Recognised Emily Procter's voice immediately, happy to see and hear her too.

They're all such pros.

Now to start my Avett Brothers obsession.

What's next?

Aw that was glorious!

Everyone looked so well, only person I thought had aged a lot was Bill Clinton!

Does anyone else bail after the fourth season on rewatches? I'm nearly sure I did on my last rewatch about 7 years ago and I think I'll do the same this time around

Apart from the Debora Cahn written episodes, it becomes such a dry and humorless show when compared to the stellar first 4 seasons

Season 5 in particular is very hard to get through

5 was tough and the story lines hard to get into but 6 and 7, 7 in particular, really picked up, especially any scene with Alan Alda in it.

• Advertisement

Aw that was glorious!

Everyone looked so well, only person I thought had aged a lot was Bill Clinton!

Is it on Sky? Or do you know how it can be watched now?

Is it on Sky? Or do you know how it can be watched now?

All 4 has on their platform now

conor_ie wrote: »
    All 4 has on their platform now

Thank you - whats it actually called, as I can't find it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Thank you - whats it actually called, as I can't find it

All4.com on a laptop or the (Android) app is just called All 4 (assume Apple is the same).

5 was tough and the story lines hard to get into but 6 and 7, 7 in particular, really picked up, especially any scene with Alan Alda in it.

My only problem with Alan Alda was, were it real and I was eligible to vote, he'd get my vote over Santos.

The San Antonio disaster so close to the election was what lost him the election. Not dissimilar to the FBI reopening the Hilary investigation a week before the election 4 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The Supremes was the best episode in Season 5. Felt like a Sorkin episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭sylvanb

Is the special available on All4 - has the 7 seasons plus two specials but not the new episode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

There's a new ep of the West Wing Weekly to cover the West Wing Special ep http://thewestwingweekly.com/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

One of my all time favourite episodes.

"I love her. I love her mind. I love her shoes."

Written by Deborah Kahn too. She's amazingly talented and the closest thing to Sorkin when he leaves

I'm going to disagree and say Shutdown was the best, but it's close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Hartsfields Landing Dixville Notch voted for Biden, the Flenders must not like Trump.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/first-us-election-results-are-in-as-new-hampshire-hamlet-votes-for-joe-biden-196794

Anyone watching either version of Hartsfeld Landing today?!

conor_ie wrote: »
    Anyone watching either version of Hartsfeld Landing today?!

Where can you get it? See it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

https://twitter.com/JoshMalina/status/1324039846738812928

Did they need to write Rob Lowe out of something again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement