Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The West Wing *Spoilers*

1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

She really does get annoying roles. And it's a pity, because she's a good actor.

A show like this definitely needed a POV character. Our "In" to that world. Someone to bring us up to speed through her character. Especially as all the other characters were already in-situ and had been in place for 2 years at that stage. Josh was not introducing himself to Sam or Toby or Leo. Wasn't asking what their jobs were. So you needed someone to go "OK Sam, I know you are the hotshot speechwriter but Toby's your boss, I'll go to him" Or "Leo, you're the REAL power behind the throne and know Bartlett for decades so tell your second - Josh - to help me help you"

They made her character TOO abrasive. She was meant to be the Hot Shot contractor brought in to polish their image. Confident in her abilities and with the firm belief that they desperately needed her input. They did it again with Bruno but Bruno's portrayal was much less abrasive. He came in, made his demands, won some and not others and was simply better rounded.

They also did a great job of introducing the characters anyway. By 3 episodes or so you knew who everyone was and their personal and professional relationships. So they actually ran out of stuff to do with her.

It is remarkable HOW different her character is from all the others. Almost as if she was written by another writer (Or committee) and simply dropped in at the behest of senior management. Did she get first or second billing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Charlie was also brought in so he was more of the everyman for the viewer at the start. He was brand new to the world while Mandy was already familiar with things and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭calculator

They wrote her almost as an affront to women. Which was weird as they had strong women characters. She was like something out of spitting image she was that OTT. I never understood the point of her really. Neither did anyone else apparently given the very quick disappearing act! Not the actresses fault though obviously.

Advertisement