Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

A favourite scene due to Josh's reaction to the coffee. :pac:

you idiot, I'm Joey Lucas! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I over-heard a conversation in work during the week about House of Cards. One of the guys goes "Anyone watch the west wing? Is it worth trying or is it a bit dated now?", the girl he was talking to replied "Its not as good as House of Cards".

And that was all she said about it. It got me so mad at the time that she just dismissed the West Wing as "Not as good". I was the other side of a glass partition at the time and I wasn't part of the conversation so couldn't jump in.

Meh. Their loss.

syklops wrote: »
    I over-heard a conversation in work during the week about House of Cards. One of the guys goes "Anyone watch the west wing? Is it worth trying or is it a bit dated now?", the girl he was talking to replied "Its not as good as House of Cards".

And that was all she said about it. It got me so mad at the time that she just dismissed the West Wing as "Not as good". I was the other side of a glass partition at the time and I wasn't part of the conversation so couldn't jump in.

Meh. Their loss.

OMG - I'd have schooled her in fabulous quotes!

woot canaw, secwet plan to fight infwation, I'm joey lucas, what's next, what would leo do..........

(I'm currently re-watching Third Watch, but will have to take out my TWW DVDs AGAIN - probably my 10th+ watch of it now!)

cjmcork wrote: »
    OMG - I'd have schooled her in fabulous quotes!

woot canaw, secwet plan to fight infwation, I'm joey lucas, what's next, what would leo do..........

(I'm currently re-watching Third Watch, but will have to take out my TWW DVDs AGAIN - probably my 10th+ watch of it now!)

You forgot the president ringing the Butterball hotline. That and the pardoning of the turkeys.

I love House of Cards too, but it takes itself too seriously to do stuff like that.

You forgot the president ringing the Butterball hotline. That and the pardoning of the turkeys.

I love House of Cards too, but it takes itself too seriously to do stuff like that.

there's a butterball hotline - God, I'm sorry, I love my country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its soooooo cheesy and smarmy, I cant get through a single episode without cringing, watched season 1 then deleted the rest, Its just too smug and up its own arse, cant stand the Republican end of the spectrum in the US but this Democrat propaganda being rammed into your eyeballs was too much.

Agree its not as good as HoC and thats not too great either.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its soooooo cheesy and smarmy, I cant get through a single episode without cringing, watched season 1 then deleted the rest, Its just too smug and up its own arse, cant stand the Republican end of the spectrum in the US but this Democrat propaganda being rammed into your eyeballs was too much.

Agree its not as good as HoC and thats not too great either.

My eyes:eek: my eyes:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I love The West Wing but it is ridiculously preachy and smug, and it's about the only Sorkin thing I can stand to rewatch. Sorkin is one of the most unoriginal writers in Hollywood (there's a youtube clip of all his recycled material), his characters are all the same and as mentioned above he is far too pro-Democrat. I really dislike the Newsroom, a show where the first episode sets out this News programmes agenda of being objective and then proceeds to attach the Tea Party for an entire series.

Again, let me remind you that I love The West Wing but I've realised that it's down to the cast and their chemistry. The guy who put me onto WW has told me that House Of Cards is better.

Please tell me I havn't kicked off a TWW vs HoC debate....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

God dammit I want to do another run through now!!! but I havent the time!!

as for House of Cards, I have watched the first 9 episodes of the first series. Im not pushed about watching the rest.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I love The West Wing but it is ridiculously preachy and smug, and it's about the only Sorkin thing I can stand to rewatch. Sorkin is one of the most unoriginal writers in Hollywood (there's a youtube clip of all his recycled material), his characters are all the same and as mentioned above he is far too pro-Democrat. I really dislike the Newsroom, a show where the first episode sets out this News programmes agenda of being objective and then proceeds to attach the Tea Party for an entire series.

Again, let me remind you that I love The West Wing but I've realised that it's down to the cast and their chemistry. The guy who put me onto WW has told me that House Of Cards is better.

I didn't think much of the newsroom either to be honest...very cheesy and I can't stand Emily Mortimer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just finished what I reckon was my third run through the entire show. It really is very enjoyable. So many characters disappear without so much as a mention which does grate at times but overall it's very, very good.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Just finished what I reckon was my third run through the entire show. It really is very enjoyable. So many characters disappear without so much as a mention which does grate at times but overall it's very, very good.

Mandy's disappearance didn't grate on me at all.

Tbh I found Will's transformation from fun likeable guy into the enemy to be more disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mandy's disappearance didn't grate on me at all.

Ainsley Hayes's disappearance grated on me

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Ainsley Hayes's disappearance grated on me

Oh god yeah. Emily Procter. What a woman.

I didn't miss Angela Blake at all when she left.

• Advertisement

It's not that you'd necessarily miss all these people but one minute they're an integral part of the staff and the next they don't exist and there's not so much as a throwaway line so to why they've gone!

I agree with you about Will too. Always seemed like an unlikely transformation.

just like when Sam left - when he was there, POTUS couldn't make a speech without him, next thing it's like 'Sam, who'??

wasn't sorry to see the back of Mandy (actually find her v difficult to watch now) and Amy - couldn't bear either of them.......nothing to do with the fact that Josh fancied them, no siireeee..... ;)

just like when Sam left - when he was there, POTUS couldn't make a speech without him, next thing it's like 'Sam, who'??

wasn't sorry to see the back of Mandy (actually find her v difficult to watch now) and Amy - couldn't bear either of them.......nothing to do with the fact that Josh fancied them, no siireeee..... ;)

I'm the same about Mandy but can't agree with you on Amy. I could look at Mary Louise-Parker all day every day!

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm the same about Mandy but can't agree with you on Amy. I could look at Mary Louise-Parker all day every day!

Amy was easy on the eye but her character really annoyed me and its unsurprising that she and Josh didn't survive too long with some of her antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

WW is far too cheese filled and has far too many episodes for me. Only got up as far as season 5 last year when trying it from the start(had seen bits and pieces and all of the final season years ago) and gave up. Its just too in love with itself and you feel like youve seen the same thing before as the episodes just cover old ground or take far too long to move. I wanted Newsroom to be good as i liked the premise but that too was all too irritating to get through, gave up after a couple episodes of season 2. House of Cards is a better show for me, more intrigue, much better at showing the nasty side of politics (however realistic it may or may not be) less laying it on thick and far less up its own arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I am not sure I'd agree that it was "up its own ar*e" but for sure, it was a democratic love fest most of the times.

But, it wasn't always such. episodes such as "The Supremes" in season 5 were fantastic for showing both sides of the fence, while then finding that middle ground.

Sam's lovely little speech in season 2 about paying taxing to look after social needs but recongising that the rich (in the context of the conservation, the rich being the Republicans, generally) pay a great share and they (the democrats) shouldn't be slagging them off (in the context of speeches).
    Henry, last fall, every time your boss got on the stump and said, "It's time for the rich to pay their fair share," I hid under a couch and changed my name.

I left Gage Whitney making 290,275.76€ a year, which means I paid twenty-seven times the national average in income tax. I paid my fair share, and the fair share of twenty-six other people. And I'm happy to because that's the only way it's gonna work, and it's in my best interest that everybody be able to go to schools and drive on roads, but I don't get twenty-seven votes on Election Day.

The fire department doesn't come to my house twenty-seven times faster and the water doesn't come out of my faucet twenty-seven times hotter. The top one percent of wage earners in this country pay for twenty-two percent of this country. Let's not call them names while they're doing it, is all I'm saying.

There were often some great moments of non-partisan politics in the West Wing.

I think, while perhaps being cheesy, there was some really great messages to take from the WW, some perhaps not likely to be ever forged in the reality of a modern society, but that doesn't make those messages any less inspiring or worthwhile.

I found the WW to be a great political drama that did have knife edge moments, that made politics look very interesting and for one sure thing, it was an incredibly funny series and the main characters were developed so very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Have only 4 episodes left and will miss all the characters ..........................except Amy, god i hate her so much.

I think Sam was my Favourite character :D I missed him the most.

Have only 4 episodes left and will miss all the characters ..........................except Amy, god i hate her so much.

Treasure those last four episodes

My favourite character changed so much through the seasons but I'd say Leo if I'd a gun to my head!

You'll only miss them until the next time you watch it ;)

Treasure those last four episodes

My favourite character changed so much through the seasons but I'd say Leo if I'd a gun to my head!

President Bartlett was my favourite by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Josh was the best character for me.

Like all Sorkin characters, he was too clever and witty.....but unlike the rest he was flawed. And not in a Mary Sue "Oh he's an alcoholic but perfect in every other way" kind of flawed way like Leo or "Oh he's a genius but a bit of grump" like Toby....or practically perfect in every way like CJ :rolleyes:

Josh was the fixer alright but he got things wrong and made more mistakes than the rest of the cast.....and I liked that.

I liked the fact that he always felt under appreciated by everyone and eventually risked everything by leaving and hitching his wagon to Santos. Winning him the presidency. I felt he had the most consistent arc throughout all the seasons.....Mandycide not withstanding.

Kirby wrote: »
    Josh was the best character for me.

Like all Sorkin characters, he was too clever and witty.....but unlike the rest he was flawed. And not in a Mary Sue "Oh he's an alcoholic but perfect in every other way" kind of flawed way like Leo or "Oh he's a genius but a bit of grump" like Toby....or practically perfect in every way like CJ :rolleyes:

Josh was the fixer alright but he got things wrong and made more mistakes than the rest of the cast.....and I liked that.

I liked the fact that he always felt under appreciated by everyone and eventually risked everything by leaving and hitching his wagon to Santos. Winning him the presidency. I felt he had the most consistent arc throughout all the seasons.....Mandycide not withstanding.

Christ I'd love to be able to get my opinion across like that

Josh was also my favourite - I loved the way he thought that anyone could do the press secretary's job until he had to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Josh was also my favourite - I loved the way he thought that anyone could do the press secretary's job until he had to do it!

well at least Bartlett had a secret plan to fight inflation :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Uriel. wrote: »
    well at least Bartlett had a secret plan to fight inflation :D

No, I did not, let me be absolutely clear, I did not do that!!! Expect, yes I did that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rewatching it atm, on season 6 and have a major gripe from the last 2 seasons:

Bingo Bob: Gets slated non-stop, but other than personal opinions you see very little to justify the criticism.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    No, I did not, let me be absolutely clear, I did not do that!!! Expect, yes I did that

Are you telling me that not only did you invent a secret plan to fight inflation, but now you don’t support it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

AdamD wrote: »
    Rewatching it atm, on season 6 and have a major gripe from the last 2 seasons:

Bingo Bob: Gets slated non-stop, but other than personal opinions you see very little to justify the criticism.

I think they were more annoyed at the Republicans beating them and forcing them to accept Bingo Bob as VP, they really wanted Berryhill. They hated Governor Richie, then they get the Democrat version of him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

The UPC twitter account tweeted this link today to a 'The Hollywood Reporter' interview with Aaron Sorkin and various cast and crew members...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/west-wing-uncensored-aaron-sorkin-703010

great link Sheela - that was a good read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just finished season 4 with Zoe getting kidnapped. Amazing episode.

Apparently I'm about to head into a fairly poor season, perhaps due to Sorkin leaving. I'll carry on just to get though to the last 2 seasons which are supposed to be the West Wing at its best again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

1huge1 wrote: »
    Just finished season 4 with Zoe getting kidnapped. Amazing episode.

Apparently I'm about to head into a fairly poor season, perhaps due to Sorkin leaving. I'll carry on just to get though to the last 2 seasons which are supposed to be the West Wing at its best again.

Yeah Season 5 isn't great, but 'The Supremes' is a great episode, up there with the best of Sorkin.

Sheela wrote: »
    Yeah Season 5 isn't great, but 'The Supremes' is a great episode, up there with the best of Sorkin.

Thanks, such a great show.

• Advertisement

Definitely stick with it!!!

Thanks, such a great show.

I'm so flippen envious ...all that's ahead of you

I feel another run through coming on.....

There are not enough hours in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

SarahBM wrote: »
    I feel another run through coming on.....

There are not enough hours in the day

Forgot I was following this thread and had forgotten completely about my West Wing boxset, not watched in quite some time by me.

Must get them back out again soon too :)
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Currently re watching it with the missus, who has never seen it before. Incredibly jealous of her

The Zoe getting kidnapped plot was the lowpoint of the show for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The Zoe getting kidnapped plot was the lowpoint of the show for me.

I thought that was brilliant. Low point for me was what Toby ended up doing and how they treated his character in seasons 6 and 7, didn't like it at all.

Just starting season 5 now, Will is no replacement for Sam in my opinion. Loving the Matthew Perry and John Goodman characters though.

Oliver Platt's character was great too. would liked to have seen more of him

I thought that was brilliant. Low point for me was what Toby ended up doing and how they treated his character in seasons 6 and 7, didn't like it at all.

The show was semi realistic up until they went with the plot of an 80s action film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Just starting season 5 now, Will is no replacement for Sam in my opinion. Loving the Matthew Perry and John Goodman characters though.

I f**king hate Will :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement