Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make an external HDD the default drive

• 18-06-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, how do I make an external usb connect HDD the default "C" drive, where everything I save is saved to that drive automatically.The HDD in the computer has only 7gb of free space. Running XP. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭jeffk

Well you cant use C as far as I know that's set when you instal windows.

After that you would need to set a folder on the external as the default in the program your using the download.

Is it one program you use for downloading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I don't download that much, but everything I save goes to "My Documents" or the few things I download will go to "My Downloads" , both of which are on the C drive. How can I save them to H drive as default.

What do you use to download them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Just move all the stuff you've already downloaded to your external drive !
    Also clear temp folders,recycle bin, browser cache and defrag

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I don't download that much, but everything I save goes to "My Documents" or the few things I download will go to "My Downloads" , both of which are on the C drive. How can I save them to H drive as default.

This is what you are looking for.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

• Advertisement

I was looking at trying to get to see what they download with and set that to save to a folder on the external.

But as you say there, you can just move my documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You really need to clean out your existing drive. Use something like Treesize free to see whats using all the space.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

Either archive to stuff to an external, and/or getting a bigger internal or external drive. Is this a laptop or a desktop. What size is the existing disk? What is using all the space.

Of course if you are running out of space, it suggests you've no backup. So what happens when if someone robs your PC, or the drive fails. You need a backup drive with a copy of all your data aswell.

Thanks very much for all the replies, folks.

@jeffk, I only use the default download applications in Internet Explorer or in Chrome.

The C drive in this computer is small. Only 40gb. It is regularly defragged. No huge files of music or video on it.Biggest user of the space is Windows itself, and Office 2010.
    Will try Marco Polo's link tomorrow.

40gb is a bit small these days.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    40gb is a bit small these days.

Not if you only use it for the operating system and nothing else.

Also great for creating an image of the whole drive incase of any problems, without worrying about data on the disk.

Well thats kind of a different topic. That IMO would require a seismic change in most users, technical awareness, and discipline.

BostonB wrote: »
    Well thats kind of a different topic. That IMO would require a seismic change in most users, technical awareness, and discipline.

True enough.

Maybe the user got a dell pc and was being offered different spec and the storage was expensive so kept it at a minimum.

jeffk wrote: »
    True enough.

Maybe the user got a dell pc and was being offered different spec and the storage was expensive so kept it at a minimum.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex GX 280. The HDD in this series of computers is small through most models. I picked this up very cheaply through a work colleague and put extra ram into it to bring it up to 2gb.Intel Pentium 4 running at 2.8ghz. I have connected up an extra 320gb in external drives, and,as previously stated, I just want to automatically save to "My Documents" in one of those drives. Thanks to all for your assistance.

Make sure your backup is sorted, if its required.

Advertisement