Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone 4 new with simlock, could you help me

• 18-06-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

hi there,

I just bought an iPhone 4 new from adverts.ie. The guy told me that he got it for extending the contract for another years (doesn't even matter). The phone was bought in Three network and he claims that he asked them to unlock it couse he wants to sell it anyway, he said that they unlocked it with some codes. Anyway.. the phone isn't activated, and when I put my micro-sim vodafone card it says that this is a wrong sim and I have to use another one (propably from 3 network), so that means that it has a simlock to 'three'.
    Anyway.. my question is..

Is there any chance to go to 'three' store and ask them to activate the phone and unlock it? I can even pay for it. The seller told me that he can fax me all the documents (reciept or smth) if that helps?

Please help me, I'm stuck :(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

cin0 wrote: »
    hi there,

I just bought an iPhone 4 new from adverts.ie. The guy told me that he got it for extending the contract for another years (doesn't even matter). The phone was bought in Three network and he claims that he asked them to unlock it couse he wants to sell it anyway, he said that they unlocked it with some codes. Anyway.. the phone isn't activated, and when I put my micro-sim vodafone card it says that this is a wrong sim and I have to use another one (propably from 3 network), so that means that it has a simlock to 'three'.

Is there any chance to go to 'three' store and ask them to activate the phone and unlock it? I can even pay for it. The seller told me that he can fax me all the documents (reciept or smth) if that helps?

It probably does matter. 3 sold iPhone 4 on 18 month contracts, and have said they won't allow upgrades for 16 months - it was released only 10 months ago.....3 don't issue unlocks, Apple do. The seller should have it unlocked and hand over to you that way. A 3 store won't deal with you, only with the original owner of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cin0

Problem is I live in Dublin, and I went today to bought it from Galway, I can't go there again to contact that person. We've spoken over the phone and he says that he can fax me documents.
    So even if I have his proof of purchase and all they still won't unlock my phone? :(
    Even if I want to pay for it? What about my carrier that is Vodafone? Will they be able to unlock phone that is locked to Three network?

Do I have any other options?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Problem is I live in Dublin, and I went today to bought it from Galway, I can't go there again to contact that person. We've spoken over the phone and he says that he can fax me documents.
    So even if I have his proof of purchase and all they still won't unlock my phone? :(
    Even if I want to pay for it? What about my carrier that is Vodafone? Will they be able to unlock phone that is locked to Three network?

Do I have any other options?

sorry to say, but your out of luck, full stop!
    the only person that has a remote chance of unlocking the phone is the original owner.

he needs to contact Three with the IEMI of the iPhone who in turn will request an unlock from Apple directly, then you can sync it with iTunes to activate the unlock.

you dont need to go back to Galway, just call the guy up again, but tbh, it sounds like he played you a bit, knowing quite well that the phone was brand new and Three will not unlock it until he goes to a certain point in in contract.

maybe try sell it again back on adverts, advising that it is locked to Three, then you go buy a Factory Unlocked phone.

probably a stupid question OP, but why on earth did you not try the phone out while you were in Galway and before you handed over the money :confused:

kceire wrote: »
    he needs to contact Three with the IEMI of the iPhone who in turn will request an unlock from Apple directly, then you can sync it with iTunes to activate the unlock.

you dont need to go back to Galway, just call the guy up again, but tbh, it sounds like he played you a bit, knowing quite well that the phone was brand new and Three will not unlock it until he goes to a certain point in in contract.

probably a stupid question OP, but why on earth did you not try the phone out while you were in Galway and before you handed over the money :confused:

I think I can call to him to ask him to do this BUT will he be able to do this if his 'three' sim card isn't in my iPhone? Do I need to put any card to phone or it doesn't matter?

I just texted him and he said he has contract with '3 network' for three years now.

About ur last question.. I just powered it on to check if it works, I couldn't check if it has simlock couse the phone needs micro-sim, and I only had regular one with me.

So back to my question, will he be able to unlock it by calling to his carrier without having his card in my iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

you have no chance at unlocking it. three will only unlock it after 18 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

You've been screwed. Report the seller and resell the phone on adverts.

How much did you pay for it as a matter of interest? Also, it is wise with expensive purchases to look at sellers previous feedback ratings on adverts.ie. Unfortunately there are plenty of scammers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

just Jailbreak and then Unlock the phone,

fingers crossed you have the old baseband, if not wait a couple of weeks and an unlock for the newer baseband will be out

if you do have the newer baseband and want to return the phone to original settings just install the 4.3.3 update again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

kjl wrote: »
    you have no chance at unlocking it. three will only unlock it after 18 months

I thought Three would unlock if the remainder of the contract was paid up in advance ? Unlikely the seller will do that as if he's flipping iphones on Adverts he probably needs the cash.

Auvers wrote: »

fingers crossed you have the old baseband, if not wait a couple of weeks and an unlock for the newer baseband will be out

if you do have the newer baseband and want to return the phone to original settings just install the 4.3.3 update again

This guy really didn't know about this simlock. I'm texting with him and he really wants to help me, he said he will call three and try to figure smth out.
    Ultrasn0w can't unlock new baseband AFAIK, but still, I can't activate the phone so I can't check the version of baseband. I'm thinking to buy pay as you go sim card from three and just activate it and buy supreme gevey to unlock it. Do you think thats a good idea?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I thought Three would unlock if the remainder of the contract was paid up in advance ? Unlikely the seller will do that as if he's flipping iphones on Adverts he probably needs the cash.

They do, but they put it back into your account as credit, so you still have to use Three. Its only any use if you are going away on holidays and need to use a different sim card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Auvers wrote: »

i dont think they will ever unlock anything newer then the 01.59.00 baseband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I can't activate the phone so I can't check the version of baseband.?

to check your baseband

Download USBView first, then:

1. Put your phone in DFU mode (make sure it's DFU mode and not recovery mode)
    2. Run USBView
    3. check 'Config Descriptors'
    4. hit Refresh
    5. find where it says something with Apple USB device and click on it.
    6. On the right, find where it says iBoot: 359.x.x (it's listed next to your ECID)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fordpefect

hi there,

there are a load of places in and around Moore Stret in Dublin that should be able to unlock it for you, cost you about €15-€20:)

Fordpefect wrote: »
    there are a load of places in and around Moore Stret in Dublin that should be able to unlock it for you, cost you about €15-€20:)

Are you sure it's possible to unlock new iPhone 4 with baseband above 01.59.00 (I'm almost sure mine is higher)? AFAIK only operator can do that.

ps. I hope we all say about hardware unlock, not some sh*** software unlock for 15-20e?

Are you sure it's possible to unlock new iPhone 4 with baseband above 01.59.00 (I'm almost sure mine is higher)? AFAIK only operator can do that.

ps. I hope we all say about hardware unlock, not some sh*** software unlock for 15-20e?
    no its not possible to unlock it unless the carrier requests it from apple so don't waste your money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Either sell it or move to 3.

There's no hope of an unlock code, and tbh there's a lot of scammers signing up for a free iPhone with no intention of paying a bill. That iPhone will probably never be unlocked officially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Get the greevy sim unlock.

guil wrote: »
    no its not possible to unlock it unless the carrier requests it from apple so don't waste your money

I've spoken with this gay today again and he said that the phone was unlocked, that the lads in three store unlocked it with some code. I told him today that he has to contact three again and talk about this, so he did. Then he told me that they said that the phone was unlocked, but ok, they can do this again but normaly that costs money, but he didn't pay. They said that the will do this till Tuesday or Wed. They need to send the request as you said.

But I just did JB i hactivate, so would apple be able to unlock it now?

yeah just make sure ultrasn0w isnt installed cos afaik the unlock from itunes doesn't come through if it is installed

guil wrote: »
    yeah just make sure ultrasn0w isnt installed cos afaik the unlock from itunes doesn't come through if it is installed

No, I only instaled snowbreeze, cydia, installous, thats it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I've spoken with this gay today again and he said that the phone was unlocked, that the lads in three store unlocked it with some code.
    BS. Not possible. As previously posted, they would need to request the unlock from apple. Once this is authorised, it is unlocked via itunes.

dodzy wrote: »
    BS. Not possible. As previously posted, they would need to request the unlock from apple. Once this is authorised, it is unlocked via itunes.

Yes, unfortunately i didn't know that when I bought the phone.
    Anyway, little update of my case: This guy texted me today to say that he got a call from his carrier, and they said that they have sent a request to apple and it will take 5 days to unlock the phone. The said that the phone must be connected to itunes and simlock will be gone.

Well we will see. If not, I learned a lesson not to trust strangers (a bit late), and check EVERYTHING before buy.

Yes, unfortunately i didn't know that when I bought the phone.
    Anyway, little update of my case: This guy texted me today to say that he got a call from his carrier, and they said that they have sent a request to apple and it will take 5 days to unlock the phone. The said that the phone must be connected to itunes and simlock will be gone.

Well we will see. If not, I learned a lesson not to trust strangers (a bit late), and check EVERYTHING before buy.

if he is telling the truth about what 3 said then it will take a few days but just connect it to iTunes everyday to see if its come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

As jamesd said there earlier - Gevey sim is a handy way out, it will cost you 30 quid but it will work for any current baseband as far as I know.

http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=110

leviathon wrote: »
    As jamesd said there earlier - Gevey sim is a handy way out, it will cost you 30 quid but it will work for any current baseband as far as I know.

http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=110

Ok, I'll stay connected to iTunes.

And I just bought Supreme Gevey Pro Plus just in case, it'll be by the end of the week maybe as I ordered it from UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 drizzy.

Hi all, I bought an iPhone 4 but it seems to say "no service" all the time, carphone warehouse coudnt hep me and I dont know what network its locked to, Iv tries Meteor and o2 but no luck ... Anybody know how I can unlock it or find out what network it is to go get it unlocked...Im so stressed out and clueless :( I have a Gevey tool but it doesnt seem to work ...any hep??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Stolen/Lost phone most likely.
    Its probably worthless.

drizzy. wrote: »
    Hi all, I bought an iPhone 4 but it seems to say "no service" all the time, carphone warehouse coudnt hep me and I dont know what network its locked to, Iv tries Meteor and o2 but no luck ... Anybody know how I can unlock it or find out what network it is to go get it unlocked...Im so stressed out and clueless :( I have a Gevey tool but it doesnt seem to work ...any hep??????

Go back to where you bought it

Sorry I didn't reply.. Ehm.. The easiest solution was to sell the phone, so I did. I sold it on auction with gevey card and the new owner was happy.

btw. I bought another iPhone 4 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Know your pain man, I bought a promised unlocked android from a seller and of course it was locked (but at the time I couldn't check as I didn't have a right sized sim with me) and of course once I found out it was too much hassle returning it.
    Took a lot of researching and some luck to get it unlocked eventually. Still have it :)

Advertisement