Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pitiful state of Galway Sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

Malice wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for dragging this off-topic but I've reread the above post a few times and I am still no closer to figuring it out. Can anyone help?
    lols... noob!

[Got me too, the crafty bugger...]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Admittedly I dont get to see many league matches but as Im not living in Galway at the moment I cant afford to travel to matches all year round as even home games mean travelling up from Cork.

While not great, attendances have been consistent (for both codes) over the last few years at the league imo.

I try to make it to all the football games (not that we've been having a lot...) but unfortunately won't be able to make it up to Navan this day week :( Support won't be great I tell ya.

Anyways, see ye in Pearse tonight!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Galway 4-25, Clare 0-20.

Things are looking up !

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

My arse they're looking up they'll probably lose against the first decent team they meet too many big heads onn small sholders in that Galway team.

ted2767 wrote: »
    My arse they're looking up they'll probably lose against the first decent team they meet too many big heads onn small sholders in that Galway team.

Go back to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

The way I see it, a lot of the perceived problems boils down to attitude, you wouldn’t see young hurlers in Kilkenny being overly happy with achieving minor and U21 titles (not that I am playing down the significance of them at all), but they wouldn’t be happy with winning a single All Ireland either, they aim for dominance, it’s the exact same as the Kerry footballers. I didn’t get to watch the hurling against Clare yesterday, but against Dublin it was obvious that some (it would be unfair to say all) players were hiding from the physical challenges, especially the aerial battles where they seemed to stand off.

Galway has undoubtedly one of the best sporting conveyor belts of sporting talents coming through year after year. You can walk around the bars and clubs getting pats on the back to pile on top of an ego, but a big ego doesn’t mean that you are the best (just ask David Haye after last night).

This is going to be the biggest season in Connachts rugby history, as a lifelong fan, I can’t wait for the season to start and to see what our new mix of players will produce.

Lapin wrote: »
    Go back to bed.

If you can't face facts thats your problem but how many minors and u 21's have been won in the last 10 years and yet no all Ireland since 1988, it can't always be the coach to my mind its too many players thinking they're world beaters at 18 or 19 going out and getting their arse handed to them when they meet the big counties.
    If go back to bed is all you can come out with then open your eyes man and face facts, 23 years of falling short will not be undone by beating Clare and if you think it will you're deluding yourself.

If go back to bed is all you can come out with then open your eyes man and face facts.....

Galway 4-25, Clare 0-20.
    Things are looking up !

Last night's result was a big improvement on the previous outcome against Dublin.

There's your fact.

The reason I suggested that you go back to bed is down to your negative sentiment highlighted below.

Its bad enough kicking someone when they're down, but continuing to kick them as the attempt to get back up is worse.

You want facts, but suggesting that they will probably lose is based on no facts at all.

How about a little support for our hurlers instead of constantly knocking them.

They earned that much last night.

Last night's result was a big improvement on the previous outcome against Dublin.

There's your fact.

The reason I suggested that you go back to bed is down to your negative sentiment highlighted below.

Its bad enough kicking someone when they're down, but continuing to kick them as the attempt to get back up is worse.

You want facts, but suggesting that they will probably lose is based on no facts at all.

How about a little support for our hurlers instead of constantly knocking them.

They earned that much last night.

I'm not getting into a slagging match with ya I've better thing to do with myself on a Sunday you're of course fully entitled to your opinion as I am to mine but that Galway hurling team will win f*uck all.

I'm not getting into a slagging match with ya I've better thing to do with myself on a Sunday you're of course fully entitled to your opinion as I am to mine but that Galway hurling team will win f*uck all.

Fair enough. And you could well be correct.

As I say, I was simply saying that the result against Clare was an improvement on the one against Dublin. Nowhere did I suggest we would win the All Ireland.

For what its worth, I'm hoping we get drawn against Cork in our next game. No disrespect to Antrim, but I think we would be better off against a more established side.

And there is nothing better than the sight of a red jersey to spurn this Galway team on. Especially with the momentum and confidance they'll now have after last night's result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

that Galway hurling team will win f*uck all.

After yesterdays result, unlike Clare, we still have a shot at the All Ireland. If it took the loss against Dublin to magnify problems, then so be it, I would prefer them to find out their team weaknesses in that way, than to go get knocked out whilst thinking that you are on top of your game. They needed to get that monkey off their back, and to a certain extent they did yesterday (I havent seen the game, but Im guessing the scoreline tells its own story). Well balanced athletes have a chip on both shoulders, always good to go out with a point to prove

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

We are the only county outside Dublin with teams still competing in the All-Ireland Hurling and Football Championships, and with a team in the Premier Division of the League of Ireland.

El Mullo wrote: »
    We are the only county outside Dublin with teams still competing in the All-Ireland Hurling and Football Championships, and with a team in the Premier Division of the League of Ireland.
    The league of Ireland team are heading for relegation, Meath will beat the footballers and the hurlers who will probably beat Cork won't go much further than that so thats no boast really now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

It was pleasing to see the Galway response yesterday, big improvement on the Dublin game but I don't think it should be underestimated how poor Clare were. Either way its a step in the right direction, hopefully they can make a real move forward against Cork. Happy we drew Cork, very winnable game, up to the Galway team to make a serious statement to all their critics (myself included) next Saturday.

As a btw very frustrating that with all the days in the summer the footballers and hurlers will be playing on opposite ends of the country on the same day. Terrible as the footballers were against Mayo its not right to deny fans an opportunity to support both teams. Same story for Antrim and Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

As a btw very frustrating that with all the days in the summer the footballers and hurlers will be playing on opposite ends of the country on the same day. Terrible as the footballers were against Mayo its not right to deny fans an opportunity to support both teams. Same story for Antrim and Limerick.

Its actually disgraceful. Could we not have the hurling Saturday week?

What do we have to do to get a double header like other counties???

c_man wrote: »
    What do we have to do to get a double header like other counties???
    I personally think one of the main reasons behind this is that hurling and football are played and supported in 2 very distinct parts of the county. Apart from the city there is a clear geographical divide and not a lot of dual clubs like in some counties e.g. Cork where to be fair clubs like the Barrs, Sars/Glanmire etc are very strong in both codes. I know many people from up Tuam direction who have little or no interest in Hurling and many from Gort who have no interest in Football. If there was families, clubs etc. supporting both codes there would be a more concrete argument for this to occur as it is in Galway there are 2 distinct boards for each code 2 different jerseys etc. this is not a great starting point (in my opinion) for putting on a double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Apart from the city there is a clear geographical divide and not a lot of dual clubs
    Are there many clubs in Galway anyway with adult teams in both codes? Can't think of any off the top of my head but I wouldn't know anything about local GAA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ruairi O'Toole from An Spidéal won a gold medal in Kayaking
    John Loughnane from Ahascragh won a gold medal in Equestrian
    amongst others..

Yet we say Galway sport is pitiful :confused:

Its actually disgraceful. Could we not have the hurling Saturday week?

Its bloody sickening. I want to go to both games but its more than likely going to be impossible. A double header would be class it would only really be possible if the footballers were playing at a neutral venue though but with Meath being at home no way it will happen.

By the way to those who say there is no dual support of football and hurling I'm from north Galway which certainly isn't known for its hurling and I will be choosing the hurling over the football if I cant make both. The hurlers came out and gave a good show Saturday so I will stick with them.

Are there many clubs in Galway anyway with adult teams in both codes? Can't think of any off the top of my head but I wouldn't know anything about local GAA.

Annaghdown are a dual club anyway off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I personally think one of the main reasons behind this is that hurling and football are played and supported in 2 very distinct parts of the county. Apart from the city there is a clear geographical divide and not a lot of dual clubs like in some counties e.g. Cork where to be fair clubs like the Barrs, Sars/Glanmire etc are very strong in both codes. I know many people from up Tuam direction who have little or no interest in Hurling and many from Gort who have no interest in Football. If there was families, clubs etc. supporting both codes there would be a more concrete argument for this to occur as it is in Galway there are 2 distinct boards for each code 2 different jerseys etc. this is not a great starting point (in my opinion) for putting on a double header.

That's not the reason for both matches being on the same day in this situation though. It's a GAA scheduling issue not a Galway GAA decision and the schedule was made a long time ago. Having said that, there ought to be flexibility when a situation like this occurs to allow fans of a particular county to attend both codes if they so wished.

El Mullo wrote: »

This is just a random fact really.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭backinexile

Off the top of my head, these clubs have adult teams in both codes , I think..

Oranmore/Maree
    Annaghdown
    Moycullen
    An Spideal
    Michael Breathnachs
    Athenry
    Gort

There is probably more.

Also some areas would have a hurling club and a Football club

Abbeyknockmoy (H) - Monivea/Abbey (F)
    Carnmore (H) - Claregalway (F)
    Bearna/Na Forbacha (H) - Bearna (F)

Off the top of my head, these clubs have adult teams in both codes , I think..

Oranmore/Maree
    Annaghdown
    Moycullen
    An Spideal
    Michael Breathnachs
    Athenry
    Gort

There is probably more.

Also some areas would have a hurling club and a Football club

Abbeyknockmoy (H) - Monivea/Abbey (F)
    Carnmore (H) - Claregalway (F)
    Bearna/Na Forbacha (H) - Bearna (F)

Corofin (F) and Sylane (H) also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Does anyone have a list of players who have played both senior hurling and senior football for Galway?

I'm sure that John Connolly, Tomás Mannion, and Alan Kerins have played both, but there are probably more.

Alan Kerins is unique in having an All Ireland Club medal in both codes with different clubs.

Football, 2006 Salthill - Knocknacarra
    Hurling, 2011, Clarinbridge.

gandroid wrote: »
    That's not the reason for both matches being on the same day in this situation though. It's a GAA scheduling issue not a Galway GAA decision and the schedule was made a long time ago. Having said that, there ought to be flexibility when a situation like this occurs to allow fans of a particular county to attend both codes if they so wished.
    I have to disagree with you there.
    There is flexibility as regards days (Sat, Sun) and venues for qualifers as regards the overall schedule obviously if there is a competition with a large number of teams involved there will be a master plan i.e. 3 th round qualifiers on a certain weekend 4th another weekend and so on thats only fair to the teams involved as regards preperation training etc.
    As for it being a Galway GAA decision you're right they can only petition to have games played at a certain venue, now if there was one board in the county covering both hurling and football then they'd have a stronger case to argue but as things stand they're seperate and therefore do not have as strong a card to play.

Galway vs Cork Saturday, 9th July Gaelic Grounds, Limerick at 4pm

Nice one! I'll be in Limerick and I'm free til 7 so I can catch this!

As for it being a Galway GAA decision you're right they can only petition to have games played at a certain venue, now if there was one board in the county covering both hurling and football then they'd have a stronger case to argue but as things stand they're seperate and therefore do not have as strong a card to play.

But it wasn't a Galway GAA decision...that's what I said.

Also, I'm sure both boards would want as many supporters as possible at their respective games so it would be in their own interests not to have games clash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

gandroid wrote: »
    But it wasn't a Galway GAA decision...that's what I said.

Also, I'm sure both boards would want as many supporters as possible at their respective games so it would be in their own interests not to have games clash.

The worst thing about it is that the fixture for the Limerick football match was delayed until the result of the hurling match v wexford, but they just went ahead and fixed the Galway match for Navan - result of having two showers of tw*ts that won't talk to each other running our GAA in Galway.

Advertisement