Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pitiful state of Galway Sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

antoobrien wrote: »
    The worst thing about it is that the fixture for the Limerick football match was delayed until the result of the hurling match v wexford, but they just went ahead and fixed the Galway match for Navan - result of having two showers of tw*ts that won't talk to each other running our GAA in Galway.

Yes but to be fair the football match would have to be in Navan in any case as Meath were drawn first.

As the Limerick footballers got a home draw, perhaps there was a scenario where the hurlers could have played at the same venue had Limerick given up their home advantage in the football....this would not have been possible in the Galway footballers' scenario as they were not drawn at home.

The football wont be on tv either which is pretty crap, I haven't missed a football or hurling championship game for a few years (bar new york) and I'm not even going to get the chance to watch the football on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

SPORT DOES NOT = GAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we either change the name of the thread to "the pitiful state of Galway GAA" or else move slightly out of the environs of Pearse Stadium.

There are other sports out there, granted people don't appear to be discussing them on this thread probably because it has orbited around hurling and football for 3 pages now.

*rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

gandroid wrote: »
    But it wasn't a Galway GAA decision...that's what I said.

Also, I'm sure both boards would want as many supporters as possible at their respective games so it would be in their own interests not to have games clash.
    Don't split hairs and be pedantic it doesn't suit you!!

Any sympathy here for Limerick scheduled to play 2 games on Saturday with 2 dual players who're facing competition to play in both matches? It makes Galways complaints look like a thing of nothing to any reasonable person.

• Advertisement

ted2767 wrote: »
    Any sympathy here for Limerick scheduled to play 2 games on Saturday with 2 dual players who're facing competition to play in both matches? It makes Galways complaints look like a thing of nothing to any reasonable person.

No..... This isn't a Limerick forum.

No..... This isn't a Limerick forum.
    I was just trying to make a point about Limerick being a county not being treated favorably re dual demands etc. however displaying an attitude like this will do nothing to helpGalways weak case to have football and hurling games as a double header. Are you not able to see the bigger picture? It certaintly would seem not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

SPORT DOES NOT = GAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we either change the name of the thread to "the pitiful state of Galway GAA" or else move slightly out of the environs of Pearse Stadium.

There are other sports out there, granted people don't appear to be discussing them on this thread probably because it has orbited around hurling and football for 3 pages now.

*rant over

Its not just GAA there are other sports in which things aren't going well as discussed previously. Soccer is at a low level for example.Them 3 and rugby are the main sports.

Don't want to be all negative, I know basketball has progressed in Galway at underage anyway and Moycullen are in the Mens Superleague the last two seasons but seemed to struggle last season.

Please state if there are any good achievements that haven't been mentioned above.

As a by the way my originial post to start this topic wasn't meant to detract from some of the fine individual achievements such as Olive Loughnanne, Paul Hession and those mentioned by others above who have all brought great credit to their county and in many cases country. Apologies as the original post was undoubtedly exclusionist towards less mainstream sports and individual achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Fair point, same story for Antrim but at least the supporter of Limerick and Antrim have a chance of making it to the hurling if they want to go. I'd say Limerick would manage without the 2 players against Antrim anyway but the GAA could easily have moved it to the Sunday.

GAA have really made a mess of the scheduling this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I love the way people keep mentioning the non-mainstream sports to highlight some successes.

I won the three-legged race at the horsefair on Sunday, does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

BESman wrote: »
    I love the way people keep mentioning the non-mainstream sports to highlight some successes.

OP seems to be under the impression that sport in galway is limited to gaa, soccer and rugby. Should be moved to some gaa forum.

Don't split hairs and be pedantic it doesn't suit you!!

??? there was nothing pedantic in what I said. In fact, my point was totally valid and based in facts. If anything you are being pedantic by not being able to accept the point I made so please, don't be a hypocrite, it doesn't suit you. :rolleyes:

And I was agreeing with you re Galway GAA and double headers I just didn't phrase it very well thats all if you took time to read the post you could very easily have picked that up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP seems to be under the impression that sport in galway is limited to gaa, soccer and rugby.

They're the biggest sports in Galway by a long way, get used to it. Personally I hate having to listen to the english soccer fans that will reappear in about 6 weeks - I watch soccer but I'll go to a hurling match first.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Should be moved to some gaa forum.

The initial whine (yes it's a whine, we're not in that bad a state people just don't realise that we can't be world beaters all the time) included the soccer teams, so you'd be thrown out of the gaa forum.

Just to give you an idea of how important the GAA is to Galway sport, one Galway hurling championship gate > sum of all 3 league of Ireland clubs home matches (for one weekend). All the city clubs have 2 adult teams and more than 100 paying (non playing) members.

But while we're on the matter of "other" sports I haven't noticed anyone mention greyhound racing, horse racing or golf (apologies if anyone has), which are probably bigger and provide more direct employment than any of the "other" sports mentioned.

And I was agreeing with you re Galway GAA and double headers I just didn't phrase it very well thats all if you took time to read the post you could very easily have picked that up!!!

I did read your post and responded in accordance with my point of view, that in this case the two governing boards didn't make much of a difference. The fact is you say yourself you didn't phrase it very well but then you accuse me of pedantry. It was uncalled for imo but I accept that other peoples words can be miscontrued on boards like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Keep it Country folks, Keep it clean.

gandroid and ted2767, take it to PM.

I did read your post and responded in accordance with my point of view, that in this case the two governing boards didn't make much of a difference. The fact is you say yourself you didn't phrase it very well but then you accuse me of pedantry. It was uncalled for imo but I accept that other peoples words can be miscontrued on boards like this.
    Ah look no point in splitting hairs here I've said my peace you've said yours lets just agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

BESman wrote: »

From a guy who follows a sport that isn't played outside of this country except by pockets of Irish emigrants, and gets most of it's support from the people at the horsefair on a Sunday, it's a bit rich mocking minority sports who get a fraction of government funding to sport and still manage to compete on an international stage.
    Try competing against 195 countries instead of 32 counties!

From a guy who follows a sport that isn't played outside of this country except by pockets of Irish emigrants, and gets most of it's support from the people at the horsefair on a Sunday, it's a bit rich mocking minority sports who get a fraction of government funding to sport and still manage to compete on an international stage.
    Try competing against 195 countries instead of 32 counties!

Well the thread is about Galway sport and in that context GAA is a huge part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Well the thread is about Galway sport and in that context GAA is a huge part of it.

Correct and it is extremely ignorant to brand GAA supporters in the fashion he has.

Ooooohh look at me I like to sail and play lacrosse. I'm so edgy and sophisticated. Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gerrybike

Correct and it is extremely ignorant to brand GAA supporters in the fashion he has.

Ooooohh look at me I like to sail and play lacrosse. I'm so edgy and sophisticated. Good man.

I think you just prove him right with your little outburst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I can see exactly why GUFC doesn't do better. Domestic football fans are rare enough but nobody since my move to Galway seems to care about the club in the broader public in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

I can see exactly why GUFC doesn't do better. Domestic football fans are rare enough but nobody since my move to Galway seems to care about the club in the broader public in the city.

Unfortunately it's true. Sad as it is to say, if the club ceased to exist in the morning the vast majority of people in this city just wouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

United have a hardcore of loyal supporters, attendances this season have ranged from 1,800 to 600.

The bad run of form has affected support, but then the same could be said about any club.

A typically heartless inert performance from a team which is supposed to be one of the best in the country.
    My arse!
    Inept, spineless and gutless as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

And people like me traveled to support those tools. Joke on us yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

We're flying it in Gymnastics. Our biggest Club Renmore gymnastics club has a slew of all Ireland Medals this year.

I know boys and girls training up to 15 hours a week is not what some folk consider sport but that's what it takes, and they really earn their medals!!

http://renmoregymnastics.org/?s=medals+2011

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

A typically heartless inert performance from a team which is supposed to be one of the best in the country.
    My arse!
    Inept, spineless and gutless as usual.
    And people like me traveled to support those tools. Joke on us yet again.

Let's put a bit of perspective on this. One of the hurlers went to the house of a neighbor of his on Sunday morning. The young lad has since died of cancer and the hurlers thought was "we let him down".

These guys are amateurs, and by and large lovely guys to talk to and have a pint with (when they're able to, which is not often). They do not deserve the mindless abuse they get from some of the w*nkers on this and other forums, who probably haven't been to matches in god know how long or picked up an hurl or kicked a football in years.

Get over yourselves, there are more important things in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Firs off that's a bit unfair. None of us are saying its more important than death and it makes us look extremely cunty which is not the case. My remark was a bit OTT I admit it.

I know two lads who played on Sunday. They know they were ****e and they feel they are open to criticism. There is a big difference to losing a thriller against Tipp than doing nothing against Waterford. They admitted it themselves. They read the papers and the forums and even post sometimes. They are both nice lads and their own parents gave them a slagging off. They also slag me off when I play bad (which happens a lot). So forgive me if I don't cry myself to sleep worrying about how they take on criticism after a woeful performance for the second time in over a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

antoobrien wrote: »
    Get over yourselves, there are more important things in life.
    Ah now Ted, what did the late, great Bill Shankly say once upon a time?

Advertisement