Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games people think are awesome which you think suck

Options
  • 19-06-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Mass Effect 1 & 2, I'm still playing through 2 but one thing I will say is that both games are incredibly boring storywise, too heavy on plot details with cliched ideas, I really don't care for the minutiae of the genophage or the krogen who are yet another warrior race rip off. Also the combat is unchallenging and dull.

Morrowind Oblivion, essentially incredibly boring and a lonely weird experience. Every cave looks the same, the npcs are odd looking and ugly, very little character development, uninspiring storyline about demons because they're so evil and scary etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 1 + 2. All very over hyped. Just really don't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Mass Effect, Oblivion, WoW, Brutal Legend, Bioshock 2, Street Fighters, GTA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Gears of war
    Oblivion
    Mass effect 2
    Halo
    Call of duty modern warfare 2
    Gta 4: was enjoyable but way overated
    Metal gear solid 4: enjoyed it but worst in the series
    Red dead redemption
    Portal 2: didnt like the singleplayer , co op was good craic though but very short

The beatles ,now i know what your thinking they are a band and you would be correct but there was the beatles rockband so i can say the beatles are overated :pac::pac: checkmate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Half Life 2. It didn't suck but for me was just a linear shooter with some uninteresting physics doodahs. I never even bothered completing it initially till a year or so later when I remembered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Red Dead, I liked the gameplay but the story was dreadful I thought.

"Oh no my family has been taken, I have to get them back!.. What's that? Of course I'll do all these pointless menial tasks for you, I dont have anything better to do"

If this was the plot to a film it would be slated by critics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Call of duty

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Fallout 3, New Vegas and Oblivion.

Fallout gameplay is crap and Oblivion was like watching paint dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Halo, Final fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Halo.

A million times Halo. Everything about that game should be a standard set for "mediocre". Except the music, which is actually pretty nice. I hear the MP is good but only played it for about 10 mins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MGS4: Anyone that thought it had a good story and was a satisfying conclusion to the series is an idiot. Gameplay wasn't great either.

Halo: Not a bad series but very overrated. It's decent, nothing more. Except Halo 2 which have terrible single player.

Final Fantasy XII: It was like playing an MMO, a bad MMO except with the only thing that makes playing MMO's fun, the social elements. It was just boring and the battle system didn't work thanks to some bad balancing that meant every battle took forever and required you to run around in circles between battles to raise MP.

Goldeneye (N64): It may have set a benchmark for console shooters and introduced some new elements to FPS games but play it now. Time has not been kind. Perfect Dark can be added here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

B0X wrote: »

"Oh no my family has been taken, I have to get them back!.. What's that? Of course I'll do all these pointless menial tasks for you, I dont have anything better to do"

It's not a film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

B0X wrote: »

Shawshank Redemption (the movie), I loved the story but the gameplay was non-existent.

All I can do is cycle through subtitle and aspect ratio options, skip scenes and adjust the colour saturation. It's completely unrewarding with little in the way of player feedback.

If this was a rhythm-action game, it would be slated by critics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Fnz wrote: »
    Shawshank Redemption (the movie), I loved the story but the gameplay was non-existent.

All I can do is cycle through subtitle and aspect ratio options, skip scenes and adjust the colour saturation. It's completely unrewarding with little in the way of player feedback.

If this was a rhythm-action game, it would be slated by critics!
    From the sounds of things, it seems you were in fact playing Heavy Rain. Now containing 100% less Morgan Freeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

It's not a film though.

Well obviously :pac:

What I was getting at is that games are moving past just being "Get the blue key to open the door and kill the bad guys". It's all about immersion now and having such huge plotholes should be unacceptable. You can't have your main character state in every cutscene that he is trying desperately to get his family back and then have him round up herds of cows. It breaks the illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Halo
    L.A Noire
    GTA IV
    Red Dead Redemption
    Mass Effect 1 & 2

All these r feckin' BORING and OVERRATED...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

metal gear solid, halo, silent hill, resi...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oblivion
    Gta4
    Mgs4
    Halo 3 - the only one I played. The last halo game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Deadly Premonition - Anyone that thought it had a good story is an idiot. Gameplay is horrible aswel.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Meh.. I got bored of the GTA series after vice city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm not going to mention any games that I hate here, because every time I hate a game, fast forward 6 months and I'll wind up loving said game and looking like a damn fool :(

All of the killzones.. They just bored the life outta me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

GTA IV................though most people I've met share the same sentiment towards it.

Halo - I just don't understand what's so fantastic about this series. Incredibly ho-hum. Multiplayer was ok but I played so many better FPS games down the line.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas - I really tried to like F3 but it was so drab, clunky and boring. NV was an improvement but I eventually couldn't play it anymore from sheer boredom and some game breaking glitches.

Call Of Duty - MW1 blew me away, MW2 was more of the same, and BLOPS was a load of shìt. The single player on MW1 & 2 look great but the multiplayer doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

COD - As said above MW1 was a breath of fresh air but after buying into the hype I got MW2 and struggled through to the Favela level before giving up. Tried the online that everyone was raving about and couldnt figure out what was good about it so quickly sold it. Didnt even bother with Black Ops

GTA IV - More so critics that loved it than gamers, most people seem to share the opinion that its boring as hell. Took me 4 attempts before I made it to the end

Halo - Didnt own the original xbox so never played Halo until a few years ago, thought it was all right so got the 2nd one, more of the same. Eventually got the 3rd and gave up half way through the story. Multiplayer was meh as well. Not got any of the newer ones but heard theyre more of the same

Gears of War - Again I just never really got what was so great about it, run to the next area, take cover and shoot lots of things, repeat x 100. Never bothered finishing it so maybe a bit harsh but yeah, I got bored half way through

AC Brotherhood - Just found it incredibly boring, far too easy with the various ways of getting instant kills, crossbow, gun, hold L1, etc. The map was awful as well with the cliffs meaning you spent half your time running around the base looking for a way up. The story has also gotten a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Seamus Aran

Okami.

Every new area in the overworld and every room in every dungeon is introduced with a short cutscene pointing out the interesting feature, followed by a longer cutscene spelling out in writing exactly what to do with it. And all this, of course, punctuated by obnoxious screenwipes and loading screens. God forbid I should have to figure things out myself in an adventure game, eh?

Oh, and the interminable cutscenes ****ting out the meandering waffles passed off as a plot. Yeah, I get it, Issun likes boobs. Wonderful. Can I play the game now? Evidently, no. Cheers, lads.

Nice cel-shading, so yay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ass creed. All of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BigEyeGuy

Mass Effect 2.
    Being very careful, I only buy games that i know are going to be good and received good reviews.
    I looked almost everywhere and ME2 got only amazing reviews and
    Totally Rad Show recommended it, i thought it would be a good purchase.
    After playing a bit, i realized i was fooled. The slick media machine, paid reviews and blinded game journalists, could not expose the truth.
    ME2 is a ****ing piece of **** of a game, no gameplay, no strategy, mash special abilities, flaccid action, buggy game all around, a few good looking blue strobe lights but thats about it. It showed me that now days games are shams, real, quality gameplay is so hard to find, and you need to be careful of **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Half Life 2 bored the hell out of me. All of Valve's output is very bland with the exception of the Portal games. They've invested a lot of money into convcining "journalists" of their creative credentials but all of their games have been cheap to develop and positioned to profit on broad trends in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Recent FPS's like Call of Duty Neir One - I want to shoot and kill folk not babysit a bunch of whinging marines or whoever.

Bioshock 2 - 1 was just ok - heard 2 was better - it was worse - traded it in after a few levels sick to my teeth with it. Infinite - go take a running jump.

Mass Effect 2 - BadEyeGuy you have it spot on. Added to that I used to enjoy the searching of planets on the old buggy. Felt just too structured and by the numbers.

All but the early Tomb Raiders - think the developers got too caught up there in their own media spin instead of focussing on what made the originals great.

Red Faction 2 - ended that chain of games for me.

Metal Gear Solid - I'm a box... enough said. Way too many cut scenes - I want to play my games not be tied to a chair wondering if I am going to miss something. Saying that there is something about it though - hate being beaten by a game...

Sports games - well except for WipeOut - go out and kick a ball.

The Sims - get a life or just try talking to someone...

Nicely surprised by:
    Oblivion - lost weeks there - ok parts were repetitive but I love it.
    Beyond Good and Evil - simple game - left it feeling happy and relaxed
    Legacy of Kain series - the whole reason I bought a 2nd hand PS2 when my 1st Gen ps3 crapped it. Got the first one in a bargain bin - hooked ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Dragon Age 2.

What a crappy game throw out just for a quick buck. Same dungeon maps repeatly, horrible mob spawns, uninteresting characters and boring story.

I loved DA:O. DA2 gave me a sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Halo (in general): Over-hyped fanboy mediocrity. I played the original when it first came out, and it done nothing but convince me that space shooters are crap. Why should i have to empty 3 magazines and a few grenades to kill something? Even CoD isn't that bad.

Dragon Age 2: I was so looking forward to this, after playing Origins i had high hopes, but it was crap. Crap setting, crap story, crap main characters (that avine, or whatever her name is, i just wanted to murder her for being so fugly and annoying). And having a set name? I want my character to be called Bigfloppy Donkeydick. Only interesting thing in it was the slutty one who had a few comedic parts. And no return of Morrigan??? WTF??? Maybe they're saving her for 3, but i won't hold my breath.

Mass Effect 2: It's like they took the good bits from the first one and made them worse, while changing interactive planatory exploration into a boring click'n'select game. **** sex scenes too :P

I could keep going, but i'll eventually run out of characters...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

GTA IV - lost the fun that was so great about Grand Theft Auto.

Red Dead - Sprawled, repetitive and boring, very little to do instead of being the NPC's bitch.

Advertisement