Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games people think are awesome which you think suck

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the mass effect series
    the GTA series

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Killzone 2 - evidence that solid technology is by no means an indicator of quality. The dullest, most lifeless FPS series I have ever played. There's nothing wrong with the basic gunplay in many regards, but it's complete lack of identity, spectacularly mediocre level design (all the best setpieces aren't interactive) and an art style that is beyond lazy makes it a complete slog to work through. Genuinely overrated, and was glad Killzone 3 attracted the critical apathy / borderline hostility the second one should have received.

Dragon Age Origins - it may have been a dodgy console port (I played on 360), but this is a game I just couldn't bring myself to waste more time on. The story and characters are sub-Tolkien in the most embarrassingly generic way. The dungeon design is laughable awful - walking into rooms until you trigger the invisible trigger point and receive uninteresting loot (compare it to something far more rewarding like Torchlight where repetition is actually engrossing). Don't get me started on the 'mature' content (about as mature as a Carry On film), the reams of uninteresting text and a complete lack of variety. Also, shoddy AI even when given instructions, plus an ever uneven difficulty curve. Yes, it may channel the spirit of RPGs old: doesn't mean its competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Arkham Asylum, just didn't get the hype, it was alright not "Z0mg d1s game r0ckz". Still mantain if it was anybody else about batman noone would've given 2 hoots about it.

Call of the duty, the series as a whole, been playing FPs since Doom 2 and i just never got this series, it was the first game that brought in oh look a vast open area but you can only go down this path, a 1 foot shrub, you can't jump over it, lol don't be stoopid. the game is mind numbingly bland.

Halo, maybe if i wasn't an FPS vet, i might've got it, but i don't.

Gears of War, i've made 4 good attempts to get into the series and i just can't, don't particularly dislike the game but can't see the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Woah, I've never seen so much hate for the big name games in one thread! I'm sitting here, trying to think if there is one 'awesome/popular' game that I really hate, but I've got nothing - just a few that I dislike.

GTAIV has been mentioned countless times in this thread. I've never heard anyone say it was awesome or great. It is good, but it gets boring and repetitive very quickly. Every mission is just rinse and repeat with a 5 minute drive across the map added in. GTA Vice City was the last great GTA game, since then they've been fairly drab.

Dragon Age Orgins, in my opinion, wasn't great. To me it was just like World of Warcraft but without the community. I thought I'd love it, but it just bored me.

Enslaved is another one I couldn't get into. The world looked amazing; visually it was beautiful. But the simple gameplay combined with the lack of any interesting character (I haven't met Pigsy yet - I hear he's great), just couldn't keep me interested. I like games to be a bit of a challenge and to have a decent story line. Enslaved has neither. The character development (or lack of) didn't really suit the story either. The female straps a suicidal head band to the males head because she doesn't trust him. Two minutes later they seem to be best friends and she trusts him with her life. How does that work?

I loved most of the games getting a bashing here; Killzone, Mass Effect, Red Dead, LA Noire, MGS4, Assassins Creed, Fallout 3.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think as games are turning into interactive movies they're becoming less fun. I want to play, not watch badly scripted dialogue with generic voice acting concerning a dull and imitative plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Notorious wrote: »
    Woah, I've never seen so much hate for the big name games in one thread! I'm sitting here, trying to think if there is one 'awesome/popular' game that I really hate, but I've got nothing - just a few that I dislike.

GTAIV has been mentioned countless times in this thread. I've never heard anyone say it was awesome or great. It is good, but it gets boring and repetitive very quickly. Every mission is just rinse and repeat with a 5 minute drive across the map added in. GTA Vice City was the last great GTA game, since then they've been fairly drab.

Dragon Age Orgins, in my opinion, wasn't great. To me it was just like World of Warcraft but without the community. I thought I'd love it, but it just bored me.

Enslaved is another one I couldn't get into. The world looked amazing; visually it was beautiful. But the simple gameplay combined with the lack of any interesting character (I haven't met Pigsy yet - I hear he's great), just couldn't keep me interested. I like games to be a bit of a challenge and to have a decent story line. Enslaved has neither. The character development (or lack of) didn't really suit the story either. The female straps a suicidal head band to the males head because she doesn't trust him. Two minutes later they seem to be best friends and she trusts him with her life. How does that work?

I loved most of the games getting a bashing here; Killzone, Mass Effect, Red Dead, LA Noire, MGS4, Assassins Creed, Fallout 3.....

Haters gonna hate m8 :) Cant believe how many HL2 haters their are !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

BigEyeGuy wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2.
    Being very careful, I only buy games that i know are going to be good and received good reviews.
    I looked almost everywhere and ME2 got only amazing reviews and
    Totally Rad Show recommended it, i thought it would be a good purchase.
    After playing a bit, i realized i was fooled. The slick media machine, paid reviews and blinded game journalists, could not expose the truth.
    ME2 is a ****ing piece of **** of a game, no gameplay, no strategy, mash special abilities, flaccid action, buggy game all around, a few good looking blue strobe lights but thats about it. It showed me that now days games are shams, real, quality gameplay is so hard to find, and you need to be careful of **** like that.
    I have no problem with anyone bashing a game, but that is total BS. I've done about 5 playthroughs, and can't remember coming across a single bug.

As for the journalist conspiracy theory, I'll just throw in the standard rolleyes... :rolleyes: It's also averaging a 90 in user reviews, less than 10% are negative. http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect-2

If you're going to complain about a game, at least make rational complaints. Otherwise, people will just disregard your whole comment. I don't know if anyone else here would call ME2 " piece of ****". Yeah, you might not like it, but you get a lot of bang for your buck, considering it's €10 new. There are a lot of worse games out there.

As for the other complaints, turn the difficulty up to Insanity and see how you do by spamming abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    MGS4: Anyone that thought it had a good story and was a satisfying conclusion to the series is an idiot. Gameplay wasn't great either.

I thought it had a great story. Wasn't a great conclusion to the series though :(

Final Fantasy games. They annoyed me too much to play. It's a shame because I was looking forward to starting them too.

GTA4. It was good, but wasn't as fun as the rest of the games. Liberty City Stories fixed that though.

I'll have to have a think about it because I know there are a load of games I thought were ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Healium wrote: »
    I have no problem with anyone bashing a game, but that is total BS. I've done about 5 playthroughs, and can't remember coming across a single bug.

As for the journalist conspiracy theory, I'll just throw in the standard rolleyes... :rolleyes: It's also averaging a 90 in user reviews, less than 10% are negative. http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect-2

If you're going to complain about a game, at least make rational complaints. Otherwise, people will just disregard your whole comment. I don't know if anyone else here would call ME2 " piece of ****". Yeah, you might not like it, but you get a lot of bang for your buck, considering it's €10 new. There are a lot of worse games out there.

As for the other complaints, turn the difficulty up to Insanity and see how you do by spamming abilities.

In fairness there is one major bug which doesn't self correct forcing you to reload the game and thats when Shepard gets stuck in mid air between scene geometry. In addition I won't discount that a lot of people liked the game based on its own merits though I will say that if you've got journalists saying this is the greatest game ever, you can have a group think effect occur whereby people want to believe its amazing because someone told them to and then they'll post their views on the net, other people will read them and will want to believe the same thing, until you get an aggregate result of everyone thinking the game is great because they've duped themselves into liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Demons Souls, absolutely despised that game, combat thats beyond clunky, replaying 45 minute sections having to do everything again because you were instakilled by walking in a door at the wrong time, ludicrously difficult from the getgo, I dont mind a challenge, but doing everything from scratch again EVERY time you die? fcuk that sh1t.

MGS4: I dont hate it, when its good its great, but sweet jeeeesus its pretentious drivel 99% of the time, and those fcuking fried egg cutscenes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This thread makes me want to pull my hair out !!! SCREW YOU GUYS !!!

MGS... HL2... and now demons souls !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XII: required you to run around in circles between battles to raise MP.
    Doing it wrong

Magill wrote: »
    This thread makes me want to pull my hair out !!! SCREW YOU GUYS !!!

MGS... HL2... and now demons souls !!! :D

I dont know how anyone cant like HL2, playing it now it may seen old but back in 2004 when it came out it was phenomenal looking, I upgraded my pc just to play that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

upgrade your computer again and play the half life 2 cinematic mod, it looks unbelievable

upgrade your computer again and play the half life 2 cinematic mod, it looks unbelievable

I has no pc anymore :( only have me laptop now as got out of pc gaming a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

please more?

what is this sorcery you talking about my friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

In addition I won't discount that a lot of people liked the game based on its own merits though I will say that if you've got journalists saying this is the greatest game ever, you can have a group think effect occur whereby people want to believe its amazing because someone told them to and then they'll post their views on the net, other people will read them and will want to believe the same thing, until you get an aggregate result of everyone thinking the game is great because they've duped themselves into liking it.

That seems a little bit far fetched in my opinion. A journalist is just a person - their opinion and standards will differ from the next person's. Just because X person from X magazine says Mass Effect is the best creation since the wheel, I can't a see majority of people agreeing with him for the sake of it. While some people would just like to be seen as a fanboy of the next big thing, they'd have to be in the minority.

In fairness there is one major bug which doesn't self correct forcing you to reload the game and thats when Shepard gets stuck in mid air between scene geometry. In addition I won't discount that a lot of people liked the game based on its own merits though I will say that if you've got journalists saying this is the greatest game ever, you can have a group think effect occur whereby people want to believe its amazing because someone told them to and then they'll post their views on the net, other people will read them and will want to believe the same thing, until you get an aggregate result of everyone thinking the game is great because they've duped themselves into liking it.
    Stuck in mid-air? :D Got a YouTube link?

I don't think anyone really said that it was the greatest game ever, but it was a fantastic game, even though it had many flaws, much like RDR. Some people loved those games, others never got into it at all. In fairness, the game is well over a year old, and any pre-conceptions are long gone. By now, pretty much everyone will have their own opinion on the game from it's personal merits

As I said, I'm a massive ME fanboy, but I don't have a problem with people making legitimate complaints. However, it's totally unfair to say that Mass Effect 2 was really buggy, when it's one of those rare games nowadays where you may never encounter a bug, and yet Bethesda get raving reviews for releasing broken games. It's also totally unfair (and a bit childish) to suggest that journalists were bribed to give the game glowing reviews, simply because you didn't like it.

It's also totally unfair (and a bit childish) to suggest that journalists were bribed to give the game glowing reviews, simply because you didn't like it.

this whole "journos being paid for good reviews" thing is complete nonsense

heres how it generally works:

publisher puts on events and flies journos out to it, they pay for hotel, grub and plenty of booze. you get to play the games many times pre release and speak to the people making them. this gives the game plenty of pre release hype, but also means that there's a slightly chance you're going to be a little bit nicer to it when the game rolls around

come release, the publisher might then decide to do a big advertising campaign. theyll employ a pr company who will in turn buy an ad in a publication from which theyve gotten plenty of coverage due to bringing their writers on these press junkets, but the chances are that the person reviewing the game won't have any idea that the advert exists. theyll write their review based on their opinion of the game (and again ill say that's often improved if the publisher was nice when it came to press events) and itll be sent off for publication.

ive very rarely heard of anything resembling advertisers having any kind of effect on content. believe it or not, the pr guys buying the adverts dont give a toss what scores the game gets. they just want to make sure that the game is given plenty of coverage

if it gets a good score thats a bonus, but their job is to secure the advertising space, and more often than not theyre working under their own steam (funded by the publisher, yes, but their choice of places to advertise is entirely their own)

thats it in a nutshell

developer > makes game, answers journo queries
    publisher > brings publisher to meet developers and play game
    pr company > buys advertising for publisher

the only ones who REALLY care about scores in all this is the developer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Halo 3
    Halo: Reach
    L.A Noire
    Red Dead Retirement Home
    Crackdown
    Gears Of War 2 Online Meat Head Jockfest
    Call Of Duty Single player games after 10 mins
    Call Of Duty Multiplayer games after 10 days
    That last Final Fantasy set in a long tunnel
    Batman Claustrophobia Adventure Asylum

Any game which prevents me from being the master at any given moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Stuck in mid-air? :D Got a YouTube link?

Happened a few times to me, running along suddenly you're up on a stack of crates and whilst Shepherd can fight off hordes of aliens and robots and do weird and crazy 'telekinetic' stuff he was seemingly unable to jump down off them.....

Grayditch wrote: »
    Halo 3
    Halo: Reach
    L.A Noire
    Red Dead Retirement Home
    Crackdown
    Gears Of War 2 Online Meat Head Jockfest
    Call Of Duty Single player games after 10 mins
    Call Of Duty Multiplayer games after 10 days
    That last Final Fantasy set in a long tunnel
    Batman Claustrophobia Adventure Asylum

Any game which prevents me from being the master at any given moment.

master of what? unlocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Just, the master.

Helix wrote: »
    believe it or not, the pr guys buying the adverts dont give a toss what scores the game gets. they just want to make sure that the game is given plenty of coverage
    Unless you're an amateur :D

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35262/2K_Games_Drops_PR_Firm_Following_Duke_Nukem_Forever_Blackball_Threats.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Metal gear solid. Halo was totally over-rated imo.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Just, the master.

theres probably some Japanese dominatrix game that would enable that

Halo is pretty but soulless tbh, and The Flood is single handedly the worst enemy ever in a video game, awful,awful design when they come into it, was playing 3 and enjoying it, then along comes the flood, sigh, just wanted it to be over at that stage was charging through the levels not taking them in

thats not buying reviews though

thats just saying "we wont give you review copies any more"

and the pr company were fired for it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Doing it wrong

What was I meant to do? Buy horribly over priced ethers and go through them like a whino goes through bottles of buckfast? I'd have no money left to buy anything else. Or else bore the arse off myself grinding? No thanks to both.

Advertisement