Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games people think are awesome which you think suck

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What was I meant to do? Buy horribly over priced ethers and go through them like a whino goes through bottles of buckfast? I'd have no money left to buy anything else. Or else bore the arse off myself grinding? No thanks to both.
    You can equip a gambit which makes characters cast osmose when their mp is low. If you don't have osmose you can make them use charge instead. You'll never run out of mp this way.

MP is a problem in all FFs. And ethers have always been expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've played all the FF games and never had any trouble with MP. Might have used the odd ether for a particularly tough fight. I'd usually have tonnes of them by the end game unused.

I did use osmose when I eventually got it later in the game and it did what the the game really didn't need, drag out the battles even longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I never found the battles in XII long at all. On the contrary, I found without all the camera panning, character animations, victory screens and loading screens they were over quite quickly. My guys would just run ahead and have a scrap. Done.

The only fights that were long were the hunts, but they're meant to be extremely difficult. People would complain that it was much too easy otherwise

The only thing I found really dumb about XII was how you had to wait untill the end of the game to buy all the gambits. I mean, that's like roughty equivalent to locking the cover system in Gears of War until the last level or not allowing melee attacks in CoD until you're halfway through or whatever

I was disappointed when XIII did away with the seamless combat of XII. And that game really took the cake for stupidly long encounters with non-boss enemies. Took me about 6-8 minutes at a time to kill those crab-armadillo-lizards that pop up everwhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found that I had my gambits set up so well that I was watching all the battles in FFXII rather than taking part at all. It's telling that I only managed to finish the game because it was the only game I could play one handed when I broke my hand. All I needed was to move the analogue stick and watch the battles play out themselves. I much preferred the much more involved battle system of FFXIII where you actually had input and there was strategy.

I won't deny the bosses and hunts of FFXII didn't work well. It's just unfortunate that getting to these points where the battle system actually works was littered with boridng fights that involved watching the AI fight.

Looking forward to last story and xenoblade, early indications suggest that they are FFXII done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Halo and Portal. Hate both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Hating on Portal. Just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Grayditch wrote: »
    Hating on Portal. Just wrong.

I agree, one of the smartest, funniest games ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

GTA IV seems to be the obvious choice to be honest. But i'm really stunned by all this hate for HL 2 in fact I started playing Half Life 1 the other day for the first time in 5 years. And am now in process of reinstalling hl2 thanks to this thread. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

krudler wrote: »
    I agree, one of the smartest, funniest games ever made.
    Each to their own, I just don't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Thought command and conquer generals was terrible. Only other C&C I've played since was tiberian wars which was just as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

bioshock

Halo - completely hate it

Assasins creed - boring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Most of the game listed in this thread that people deemed 'bad games' I would more say 'not the kinda of games I would enjoy'

But one game where being utterly neutral and unbiased critically about it and still have it considered a bad game comes to mind.....

MGS4.

I beat it recently, as a homage to my old ps1 days, I loved mgs1 as a kid.

But to honestly say that MGS4 is a good game is wrong. You are either a massive MGS fan in general and thus enjoy the game for what it is...another MGS game - or you can see it for what it is, a 6/10 game at best.

Anyone that says they are neutral and that its still an excellent game are just totally and utterly talking out of their arses.

You can enjoy it as a MGS fan for sure - but its still a bad game. What little game there is - is badly outdated. The cut scenes are largely over written and badly directed. Its not all terrible, there's some good visuals, artwork and humour. I thought the mini metal gears - the small tanks with legs, were very good.

On the opposite side someone may say HALF LIFE 2 is a crap game - but that just means its not their type of game, the game itself however is excellent.

Someone's opinion that it wasn't good will never change it. Just like someones opinion that MGS4 is the best game ever made doesnt change the fact that its a pretty underwhelming game.

I'ma big MGS fan and found MGS4 bad.

I'ma big MGS fan and found MGS4 bad.

Rex vs Ray was friggin epic though

Maybe if the controls didn't suck and and it wasn't more annoying than fun. The scale felt off as well. It felt like two miniatures fighting instead of huge lumbering robots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Monopoly. And all other "opoly" games.

Maybe if the controls didn't suck and and it wasn't more annoying than fun. The scale felt off as well. It felt like two miniatures fighting instead of huge lumbering robots.

MGS4 has some cool setpieces, returning to Shadow Moses was really cool, loads of nods to the original game, and the final boss fight wasnt anything near as cool as The Boss in MGS3 though, I really must play that again actually, time to dig out the ps2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mgs

theres another series i think is pant actually

MGS4 has some cool setpieces, returning to Shadow Moses was really cool, loads of nods to the original game, and the final boss fight wasnt anything near as cool as The Boss in MGS3 though, I really must play that again actually, time to dig out the ps2

Thought the final boss was one of the worst bosses ever, definitely the worst for the series. Also the nods to the original I found were pure pandering to nostalgia. It's like it knew allit had going for it was a sense of nostalgia and even then it couldn't pull it off properly. I couldn't even say the game had goos set pieces because in the gameplay sections it was all quite bland while the cutscenes were bat **** insane when something did happen and not in a good way.

• Advertisement

Thought the final boss was one of the worst bosses ever, definitely the worst for the series. Also the nods to the original I found were pure pandering to nostalgia. It's like it knew allit had going for it was a sense of nostalgia and even then it couldn't pull it off properly. I couldn't even say the game had goos set pieces because in the gameplay sections it was all quite bland while the cutscenes were bat **** insane when something did happen and not in a good way.

It did annoy me how Raiden is a wrecking machine in 4 and a wuss in 2 when you got to play as him, when I was him he was getting all sappy and yapping on the phone to Rose and getting all existential. When I didnt get to play as him he was using samurai swords between his toes, cutting through Gekko like they were butter and stopping an entire ship with his fingernails or something, bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Personally, I thought any MGS games after the first one that appeared on PS1 were pretty boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Sisko wrote: »
    But to honestly say that MGS4 is a good game is wrong.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a good game. Metal Gear Solid 4 wasn't my favourite, but the first three levels and boss battles did certainly live up to the hype, and then it drifted a bit. My main complaint of the game would be that it was too short, and should have had at least two more settings like the first two levels after the third. It was still a very good game, but didn't match the very high standard MGS3 set (it did remove one major flaw of its predecessor in implementing the Octo-camo).

To claim that Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bad or average game is inventing something that isn't there and demonstrates an ignorance of the third-person gaming genre as mentioning Halo: Combat Evolved is an ignorance of FPS genre, combat and AI design, Final Fantasy XII an ignorance of the RPG genre, and Half-Life series and The Elder Scrolls series, an ignorance of Gaming. Inexplicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

It's bad form to ruin a good scene in a good film with your misunderstanding of 'opinion' and 'argument'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

deathrider wrote: »
    Personally, I thought any MGS games after the first one that appeared on PS1 were pretty boring.

Even Snake Eater?! I think it's as good as the first one. In fact, depending on my mood, sometimes I'd say it's better.

I really enjoyed MGS4, the only complaints I have are that the cutscenes are too long and
    Big Boss' return seemed a bit pointless

I wouldn't say they suck, but I think Halo and CoD are massively overrated and don't deserve the attention they get.

deathrider wrote: »

sacrilege! MGS3 is fantastic, any game that has climbing a ladder in place of a boss fight has got to be worth playing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Inexplicable.

Its pretty simple. From a neutral gaming perspective and not that of a fan boy, MGS4 is not a very good game.

Fact.

Whether you enjoyed it or not is irrelevant. Nor does it change this fact.

Don't even get me started on Halo or Oblivion. But at least they belong more in the over rated (by their fans) category. Where as MGS4 is simply and utterly mediocre.

Anyone with the ability to critically analyse a game from a neutral stand point will state this as a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

sacrilege! MGS3 is fantastic, any game that has climbing a ladder in place of a boss fight has got to be worth playing :pac:

Do people actually enjoy that bit, or is it just people being ironic? I got to that bit and ****canned MGS3. It was a crap game anyway. All that arsing about eating ****ing animals and changing camoflague and stuff. And the bosses were so crap. Heres the boss with the mouthful of bees and when he talks he shoots bees at you...****s sake..not to mention the way they tried and failed miserably to implement CQC. Terrible game. But pretty much all the mgs games have been overhyped to all hell after mgs1. That was the only one int he series that was actually bloody brilliant. After that it was downhill, fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Haha, the amount of Matter Of Fact posts on pretty subjective matters.

Advertisement