Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games people think are awesome which you think suck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Seamus Aran

Sisko wrote: »
    Its pretty simple. From a neutral gaming perspective and not that of a fan boy, MGS4 is not a very good game.

Fact.

Whether you enjoyed it or not is irrelevant. Nor does it change this fact.

Surely whether or not someone enjoys a game is the only criteria it can be judged by? What else is a game good for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

ARMA 2 - What a truely god awful game.... fact !

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

Remember the die hard game for ps1? that would make a good film......or hitman,silent hill,tomb raider,the godfather or the harry potter games would all make good films

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Alice: Madness Returns... :cool:

RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

MGS 4,Practically an interactive movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't think MGS4 belongs in this thread as it appears the majority think it was rubbish. It's a travesty of a game.

I didn't like Half-Life 2 when it came out. To me it was just a fairly generic and linear FPS. It wasn't until Episode 2 that it became interesting. But then again, I'm fairly biased against it as I was a huge fan of the original and was desperately waiting for it to be released. When it came out with Steam, it took longer to install than it did to finish. I've never gotten over that. But on a plus side, if that's the biggest thing I have to worry about in life I'm doing well. :)

I've been trying to think if there's any other games I really hated, but I'm coming up blank. There's plenty of games I wasn't keen on, but I could see why others would like them. I don't like Demon Souls for example, but I completely understand why people would like it. MGS4 is the only game that I honestly can't understand why anybody could like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I loved the ME series, I'll be like a little kid at Christmas when 3 comes out.

Hated Fable 3. They didn't change anything about it gameplay and powers wise and they made it even simpler. The bosses didn't get any more challenging and you could finish the game by walking through it and frantically pressing A and X. The only good thing about the end of it was that the game was finally over. For all the reviews and good press it got and the work that went into it, and the bloody wait, it was one of my biggest disappointments of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Anything with "Persona" in the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

bradlente wrote: »
    MGS 4,Practically an interactive movie.

not very interactive though, thats the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Grayditch wrote: »
    Haha, the amount of Matter Of Fact posts on pretty subjective matters.

That is the only sane thing in this entire train wreck of a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BigEyeGuy

I dont get it, are you guys surprised to hear opinions in a forum?
    especially about video games?
    :)

just to humor the argument, someone please point out to me what was good about the gameplay in ME2 (actually interested in your opinions, not looking to refute it or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

BigEyeGuy wrote: »
    I dont get it, are you guys surprised to hear opinions in a forum?
    especially about video games?
    :)
    )

I'll be honest, I was kinda surprised to see opinions on what an opinion is. Or was it an argument on what is opinion...or was it a fact???

Either way, I'd rather sit through the cut scenes of MGS4 than read through those, let alone get involved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

PES 2011 sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

In my opinion!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gloobag wrote: »

I am curious to hear an argument on this one.
    just to humor the argument, someone please point out to me what was good about the gameplay in ME2 (actually interested in your opinions, not looking to refute it or something)

I'll bite. The combat design was extremely intuitive and user friendly - and, contrary to popular belief, that's actually a good thing in many cases. The combat was the finest mix of RPG and gunplay to date: while largely defined by 3rd person shooters, it meant the bullets had impact (often doesn't feel like the case in the likes of Fallout 3, where no matter how accurate your aiming it is ultimately all determined by obscure statistics) and the connection between stats and player skill was far more finely honed than any similar games before or after it.

Technically, the game was vastly improved from the first, the levels more focused and generally better designed. Storywise, player decisions ranged from the blisteringly obvious to the more subtle - a favourite trick of mine was the optional ship ugrades that anyone who played the games will know about. Taking the time to get to know characters and solve their problems had a far more significant impact than most games with companions.

It was far from perfect - the actual story missions were too few, for example - but BioWare crafted something uniquely playable and accessible. I know some people freak out when there aren't reams of menus or statistics or experience points: indeed, I'm a fan of that when it's handled well too (see Persona or Torchlight or Disgaea). But ME2 was a genuine advancement for storytelling in games and player choice, significantly improving upon its ambitious but flawed predecessor. Compare it to the cluster**** that is the hopelessly generic, characterless and backwards Dragon Age and the differences are all too obvious.

Didnt you feel it had extremely repetitive missions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Didnt you feel it had extremely repetitive missions?

Maybe: it certainly felt that too many missions resulted in combat situations no matter how little sense it made. I didn't think it was a significant issue though, given that the general subplot writing was strong and hence there was a strong incentive to continue on and follow the numerous stories the game presented. Mining was also imperfect, and could use some improvements in ME3, although ultimately the game was far less repetitive and tightly paced compared to ME1.

Again, comparing it to Dragon Age and its endless repetitive dungeons feels apt. The overall design of Mass Effect 2 was unusually strong, and in terms of repetition it must be said everything but the planet submissions took place in very different locales and settings. Any flaws are ones I'm looking forward to seeing BioWare sorting out in the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Anything from Rockstar really.

What are they trying to do with their games? They pour money into their development and try to introduce gritty stories with antihero main characters and forget to put actual character or plot development into the games.

Instead you get cutscene based conversations while you travel from A to B doing whatever, in between collecting herbs or cars that all control the same.

The same goes for Mass Effect 1 and 2 although this time, the stories and characters are okay enough for sub SciFi channel fare. But the gameplay? WHERE IS IT?

Stop trying to make games into movies or novels, developers. you don't have it in you! The convergence of media is a bad thing.

World of Warcraft- What in the frickin jumpin jiminies do people get out of that bag of artards?! Mate got sucked into it for a few months and made me try the trial thing, I lasted a few hours before I got sick of following retards around in 90's graphics and physics. Never again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gloobag wrote: »

You must think very little of me if you think I'm falling for that one.
    That is the only sane thing in this entire train wreck of a thread.

I think it's pretty obvious that most people are giving opinions here. People have different tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I really dont get any buzz from the HALO games,

I play them and all, finish them then i never put them back in my console. I just dont get the hype of them. Multiplayer just doesnt interest me on it.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I really dont get any buzz from the HALO games,

I play them and all, finish them then i never put them back in my console. I just dont get the hype of them. Multiplayer just doesnt interest me on it.

couldnt agree more, the first one was such a hit, and i really could not enjoy it
    for its lame weapons and enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

World of Warcraft- What in the frickin jumpin jiminies do people get out of that bag of artards?! Mate got sucked into it for a few months and made me try the trial thing, I lasted a few hours before I got sick of following retards around in 90's graphics and physics. Never again!

After a few hours... you probably seen about 0.1% of the game.... so yeah.. did you even get out of the starting area (Basically the tutorial) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The first play through of WoW is some of the most addicting gameplay I have ever experienced. In regards to GFX, some areas (particularly in the expansion pack areas) are simply beautiful both in design and music.

In short, you're wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You must think very little of me if you think I'm falling for that one.

No, I genuinely don't like them. I bought Persona 4 because of all the glowing reviews I'd read, as well as all the recommendations here on boards, but I just found it boring and annoying. There didn't seem to be much of a game there at all, just a lot of talking about things that really weren't that interesting to me.

It's the only game I've ever actually fallen asleep while playing.

The only other one I played was the one that came out for the PSP. I lasted about an hour. Don't think I ever actually got to 'play' anything. Again, it was just a lot of talking.

These are just my opinions. If people enjoyed these games, I'm glad for them. I wish I had enjoyed them, as I spent good money on them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The first play through of WoW is some of the most addicting gameplay I have ever experienced. In regards to GFX, some areas (particularly in the expansion pack areas) are simply beautiful both in design and music.

In short, you're wrong :)

I do miss WoW quite alot, i cant wait for my PC to be fixed. Mama needs a new pair of T12 gear :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

cock band, gaytar hero etc. are just terrible and annoying. "oh they are great at parties!" bullsh1t. all they do is create unjust noise and provide a distraction for people that have nothing interesting to say in the first place.. if you are going to put on music, put on music, leave it for the drunk ppl to play bad singalong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

In fairness, MMO gameplay is pretty weak.
    Click target, press 1-2-3. Click node, harvest. Click item, craft. Collect wolf pelts, return quest.
    repeat forever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Uncharted 1, 2, whatever. Its a pretty game with a funny script, but by god is it a bad game.

*run into open room with lots of waist high walls*

*crouch behind wall and shoot Goon Squad #1 coming from door A*

*shoot Goon Squad #2 from door D*

*shoot Goon Squad #3 from door C*

*climb linear series of handholds with "SCARY MOMENT" where one crumbles and you grab handhold below it*

*run into cover behind waist high wall and shoot Goon Squad #4 coming from blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah oh look your sinister "friend" betrayed you, did not see that coming*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Do people actually enjoy that bit, or is it just people being ironic? I got to that bit and ****canned MGS3. It was a crap game anyway. All that arsing about eating ****ing animals and changing camoflague and stuff. And the bosses were so crap. Heres the boss with the mouthful of bees and when he talks he shoots bees at you...****s sake..not to mention the way they tried and failed miserably to implement CQC. Terrible game. But pretty much all the mgs games have been overhyped to all hell after mgs1. That was the only one int he series that was actually bloody brilliant. After that it was downhill, fast.

I nearly choked on a mouthful of tea reading that ya fecker :pac:

MGS3 does have The End, one of the best boss battles ever. The thing about MGS is that its full of mediocre gameplay, but then comes along a sequence thats just utterly genius and makes up for it.

Advertisement