Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games people think are awesome which you think suck

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Uncharted 1, 2, whatever. Its a pretty game with a funny script, but by god is it a bad game.

thats just not true

opionion or whatever, grand, but you cant call it a bad game at all

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Uncharted 1, 2, whatever. Its a pretty game with a funny script, but by god is it a bad game.

*run into open room with lots of waist high walls*

*crouch behind wall and shoot Goon Squad #1 coming from door A*

*shoot Goon Squad #2 from door D*

*shoot Goon Squad #3 from door C*

*climb linear series of handholds with "SCARY MOMENT" where one crumbles and you grab handhold below it*

*run into cover behind waist high wall and shoot Goon Squad #4 coming from blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah oh look your sinister "friend" betrayed you, did not see that coming*

Ah now you can break any game down into such simple mechanics, doesnt make them bad.

Zelda: find the cat belonging to that woman who needs milk so you can get a bottle to hold that fish in to give to the old man who'll trade you a sword for then go to dungeon to fight boss with that boomerang you find as the boss is allergic to boomerangs giving you a piece of something to open the other thing even though that mysterious new girl is Zelda all along.

simple mechanics are good when done well, and Uncharted does them brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Thought Mass Effect 2 was really really boring, and far too linear. Unforgivable these days considering the potential it showed and the type of game it could have been. I really fail to understand how many of the online gaming review websites rated it so highly. I'd say there is a strong argument to be made for refraining from reviewing a game based simply on first impressions, as other wise games that are all style and no substance tend to score high, and the serious gamers who expect and interactive rewarding experience are simply let down by those websites rushing to be the first to crown a (false) king.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Oh god Killzone2.
    If it was at least playable I could forgive. But the cover system is just broken.
    "HerpDerp, I'll just take cover and leave my head sticking out over the top of this wall shall ?"

Moronic!

Every time I mention how bad it was to the guy who told me to buy it (feel ripped of, even for a tenner) he reply's with, "Can't argue with a 91 Meta." Which goes to show Metacritic is, in fact, broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Guitar Hero / Rock Band these games are crap, learn an actual instrument instead of wasting your time pressing colored buttons.. all my mates love them.. Waste of time..

Final Fantasy - i hate them. Could never get into them. The combat system is what gets to me... "Ill hit you, then you can hit me etc etc etc "...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Thought Mass Effect 2 was really really boring, and far too linear. Unforgivable these days considering the potential it showed and the type of game it could have been.

What does linearity have to do with how good a game is?

Magill wrote: »
    ARMA 2 - What a truely god awful game.... fact !

:rolleyes:

Well, you did say say "fact" so it must be true. Though couldn't you have made the effort to be properly obnoxious by implying that you're way of seeing things should be obvious to even the simplest of dolts. Also I would have appreciated an extra "Fact!" or two sprinkled throughout your post; it's endearing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Korvanica wrote: »
    Guitar Hero / Rock Band these games are crap, learn an actual instrument instead of wasting your time pressing colored buttons.. all my mates love them.. Waste of time..

FIFA - these games are crap, learn to play actual football instead of wasting your time pressing colourd buttons.. all my mates love them.. Waste of time..

Need for Speed - these games are crap, learn to drive an actual car instead of wasting your time pressing coloured buttons.. all my mates love them.. Waste of time

Mario - these games are crap, learn to be an actual plumber instead of wasting your time pressing coloured buttons.. all my mates love them.. Waste of time

Call of Duty - these games are crap, learn to be an actual soldier instead of wasting your time pressing coloured buttons.. all my mates love them.. Waste of time

etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Seamus Aran

Jazzy wrote: »
    cock band, gaytar hero etc. are just terrible and annoying. "oh they are great at parties!" bullsh1t. all they do is create unjust noise and provide a distraction for people that have nothing interesting to say in the first place.. if you are going to put on music, put on music, leave it for the drunk ppl to play bad singalong

This is very true. Rock Band needs a room to itself at a party. Music and conversation pretty much stop when it starts.

Of course, it's also the best thing ever if you're just hanging out with a few friends. I <3 my pretend keyboard.

Guitar Hero / Rock Band these games are crap, learn an actual instrument instead of wasting your time pressing colored buttons.. all my mates love them.. Waste of time.

Go out and play football/baseball/etc.

Learn boxing/kung-fu/to wrastle.

Take lessons so you can actually race a car/motorcycle/boat/plane

Join the army for the true HD combat experience.

All the games offer you is an abstraction of the actual experience. They just trick you into enjoying yourself, when you could be spending a lot more money, time and effort doing this stuff for realz, yo!

EDIT: What Helix said... 8 minutes ago. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Seamus Aran

Fnz wrote: »
    All the games offer you is an abstraction of the actual experience. They just trick you into enjoying yourself, when you could be spending a lot more money, time and effort doing this stuff for realz, yo!

And having absolutely zero fun for many, many hours a day!

Seriously, learning a musical instrument isn't a trivial task for most people. It's totally worthwhile and I'd recommend it to anyone, but what you get out of learning to play the guitar (or the harmonica, or the ukulele, or the stylophone or whatever) is completely different to what you get out of playing Rock Band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

What does linearity have to do with how good a game is?

Come on, I don't really have to answer that for you now do I? ;)

What I said was that Mass Effect is too Linear, given the potential the game showed to be so much more than that. I'm not saying that a linear game can't be great, but some games which are too linear (for the wrong development reasons/poor decisions) suffer as a result. Even the upgrade system was lazy and boring, and that should be easy to polish and make exciting. Exploration should really have been called 'Repetition'. There was nothing remotely related to exploration involved.

Anyway I thought this was simply a thread for posting what you think are overrated games, I didn't expect I'd have to explain my views. Its still a decent game, and well made in many respects, but as John Giles would say, it isn't a 'Great' game. Obviously others will have differing views based on their preferences. My real concern is the failure of the critics to point out Mass Effect 2's flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bioshock. It's just a generic FPS that happens to look pretty to me. People that love it, buy into the whole idea that Rapture is a living, breathing place with a story of it's own. While that's nice and all, it wasn't enough for me to be able to see past what's a very generic and linear FPS.

Say the 'twist' coming a mile off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Well, you did say say "fact" so it must be true. Though couldn't you have made the effort to be properly obnoxious by implying that you're way of seeing things should be obvious to even the simplest of dolts. Also I would have appreciated an extra "Fact!" or two sprinkled throughout your post; it's endearing. ;)

It was sarcasm in response to how some people previously were stating their opinion as if it were fact... and some even saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Did anyone find Shepard to sound like a complete douche with the voice acting? It kind of lends itself to playing Shepard as a renegade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ah the 'Learn A Real Instrument' argument...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did anyone find Shepard to sound like a complete douche with the voice acting? It kind of lends itself to playing Shepard as a renegade.

Play as a female. Jennifer Hale is probably the best voice actress around and absolutely knocks the shepard role out of the park. The male actor is so dull in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I don't like playing female Shepard because then you invariably have to put up with your character's hair looking like it's made out of playdoh. Default male Shepard is the only way to go if you want to look remotely human.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ah the 'Learn A Real Instrument' argument...

i just go with the "they are **** and annoying" argument myself.

Nothing wrong with that argument. I like em, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I was kinda surprised to see opinions on what an opinion is. Or was it an argument on what is opinion...or was it a fact???

It is not all that difficult. Opinion is personal preference which cannot be disputed. Argument is a set of statements based upon evidence and through logic, leads to a claim which can be disputed. The premise of this thread is to list games that you think suck (a claim, argument), not dislike (opinion) which are completely separate. I dislike playing Starcraft and most other Real-Time Strategy games (Civilization an exception), but that does not mean that I think they "suck". The opposite is true: Starcraft has great game design.
    Sisko wrote: »
    Its pretty simple. From a neutral gaming perspective and not that of a fan boy, MGS4 is not a very good game.

Fact.

Whether you enjoyed it or not is irrelevant. Nor does it change this fact.

Don't even get me started on Halo or Oblivion. But at least they belong more in the over rated (by their fans) category. Where as MGS4 is simply and utterly mediocre.

Anyone with the ability to critically analyse a game from a neutral stand point will state this as a fact.

"MGS4 is not a very good game" and "MGS4 is simply and utterly mediocre" are claims, not facts. The sum total of your argument to support both claims has been that the game is "badly outdated" which is generalized non-specific gibberish you're dressing-up as "critical analysis".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

"Suck" would be too strong a word for me to use but I will say I don't agree it's as good as they say: Call of Duty.

If you think about it. It has basically been the same game since Call of Duty 4. It just adds tiny teeny little bits and bobs every game after that. I think it's just the name that sells it more than anything else though.

I wouldn't say they suck though.

What i WILL say that sucks that people think is awesome though is this: Duke Nukem Forever...Again probably just the name and nostalgia that sells this game but I suppose I was never much of a Duke fan but I did try at least, couldn't get into it though. And have failed to say any of them are good for each one I've played

So

Call of Duty (not sucked, just not enjoyable as everyone says)
    Duke Nukem Forever (yeah it pretty much sucked for me, sorry Duke fans I tried lol)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    It is not all that difficult. Opinion is personal preference which cannot be disputed. Argument is a set of statements based upon evidence and through logic, leads to a claim which can be disputed. The premise of this thread is to list games that you think suck (a claim, argument), not dislike (opinion) which are completely separate. I dislike playing Starcraft and most other Real-Time Strategy games (Civilization an exception), but that does not mean that I think they "suck". The opposite is true: Starcraft has great game design.

I think you are reading into a thread with the word 'suck' in the title a little too much. Relax the cacks.

I feel a multi-quote breakdown coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think you are reading into a thread with the word 'suck' in the title a little too much.
    Er, that is the purpose of this thread. Relax the cacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

minecraft..now that sucks

Come on, I don't really have to answer that for you now do I? ;)

What I said was that Mass Effect is too Linear, given the potential the game showed to be so much more than that. I'm not saying that a linear game can't be great, but some games which are too linear (for the wrong development reasons/poor decisions) suffer as a result. Even the upgrade system was lazy and boring, and that should be easy to polish and make exciting. Exploration should really have been called 'Repetition'. There was nothing remotely related to exploration involved.

Anyway I thought this was simply a thread for posting what you think are overrated games, I didn't expect I'd have to explain my views. Its still a decent game, and well made in many respects, but as John Giles would say, it isn't a 'Great' game. Obviously others will have differing views based on their preferences. My real concern is the failure of the critics to point out Mass Effect 2's flaw.

You're opinion is your own and you absolutely do not have to explain your preferences. It's just I don't know if a less linear ME2 would be better. Some people use 'linearity' as a critism in every instance.

Magill wrote: »
    It was sarcasm in response to how some people previously were stating their opinion as if it were fact... and some even saying so.

I know, yours was an nice, pithy, post. I was just getting in some extra digs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I know, yours was an nice, pithy, post. I was just getting in some extra digs.

Ahhhhh, i failed at noticing your sarcasm :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Er, that is the purpose of this thread. Relax the cacks.

i totally want you and sisko to go at it. fight fight fight fight fight fight!!!

Advertisement