Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games people think are awesome which you think suck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    minecraft..now that sucks
    I CAST THEE OUT, SATAN!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

humanji wrote: »
    I CAST THEE OUT, SATAN!!!!!

I think this sums up the nonstop fun that is minecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Haha. Exhilarating stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Ha! I don't like minecraft, but that pig with a saddle is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

How can anyone not like making funny signs? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Magill wrote: »
    fact !

Love how that gets people foaming at the mouth :p
    Surely whether or not someone enjoys a game is the only criteria it can be judged by? What else is a game good for?

There is a hell of a lot more to judging the quality of something then that. Its never been simply pure enjoyment. There are plenty of movies out there that 'more people would enjoy' versus what are considered masterpieces. Just because someone enjoys something, does not make it a masterpiece and just because someone does not enjoy something - does not alter that things state from being a masterpiece.

What is of high quality, or rather what is 'good' and what is 'bad' is not as a lot of people would like to say it is... 100% subjective.

There is a reason why the top 10 charts in music are rarely considered the highest standard of music in human history.

There is a benchmark for these things.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    "MGS4 is not a very good game" and "MGS4 is simply and utterly mediocre" are claims, not facts. The sum total of your argument to support both claims has been that the game is "badly outdated" which is generalized non-specific gibberish you're dressing-up as "critical analysis".

Nope, its a fact and anyone who understands gaming knows this and would not dispute it. I'm not here to give a critical analysis.

If I was to do MGS4 justice and lay out all the reasons why it is a mediocre game - as a game itself that is - I'd have to write a damn essay on the thing, which would be utterly pointless. Kojima himself could come out and state the games averageness and people would still proclaim it to be pure excellence.

Whether or not the game is a good game for MGS fans is a matter of opinion however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sisko wrote: »
    Whether or not the game is a good game for MGS fans is a matter of opinion however.

I'm a MGS fan and it was the gaming equivalent of a kick to the nads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Love how that gets people foaming at the mouth :p

There is a hell of a lot more to judging the quality of something then that. Its never been simply pure enjoyment. There are plenty of movies out there that 'more people would enjoy' versus what are considered masterpieces. Just because someone enjoys something, does not make it a masterpiece and just because someone does not enjoy something - does not alter that things state from being a masterpiece.

What is of high quality, or rather what is 'good' and what is 'bad' is not as a lot of people would like to say it is... 100% subjective.

There is a reason why the top 10 charts in music are rarely considered the highest standard of music in human history.

Nope, its a fact and anyone who understands gaming knows this and would not dispute it. I'm not here to give a critical analysis.

If I was to do MGS4 justice and lay out all the reasons why it is a mediocre game - as a game itself that is - I'd have to write a damn essay on the thing, which would be utterly pointless. Kojima himself could come out and state the games averageness and people would still proclaim it to be pure excellence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Internet arguments:

User A: Long winded post explaining a point.

User B: One line response about how user A is wrong and/or an idiot.

User A: Refutes User B in equally long-winded manner.

User B: Posts sarcastic video / image.

User A: One line response about how user B is wrong and/or an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Internet arguments:

I disagree. With everything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Internet arguments:

i_am_a_cat_with_a_human_body_your_argument_is_invalid.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

have to say Portal 2 didn't appeal to me. puzzles didn't have the same "how do you do that?" feeling as the first game. 10/15 mins on a puzzle and you were done. finished it in less than a day, which is surprising for me, cos i'm usually slow at games.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    finished it in less than a day,

;) Haha. It ran at a nice pace for me, with some nice perplexers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 socky2011

have to say Portal 2 didn't appeal to me. puzzles didn't have the same "how do you do that?" feeling as the first game. 10/15 mins on a puzzle and you were done. finished it in less than a day, which is surprising for me, cos i'm usually slow at games.
    so im not super smart then:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the only problem I had with Portal 2 were the non testing room bits, they were too easy, find wall thats slight shade of white and portal it, find another wall and portal that, solution becomes clear. the Cave Johnson voiceover parts were absolutely brilliant though made that whole section hilarious to play through. "Let us cut you open, stuff some science in you, hell you should be paying us for this!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Seamus Aran

I don't think you understood my point. It doesn't matter if someone somewhere likes a game or not; what makes it good or bad is whether you enjoyed it. That's it. Nothing else counts.

There's no such thing as objectively superior mechanics, level design, graphics, audio, plot or whatever it is makes you like a game. If you find it inferior, then as far as you're concerned it is. Taste is absolutely subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

socky2011 wrote: »
    so im not super smart then:(
    would you feel better if i said i was an uber puzzle genius? :pac:
    Grayditch wrote: »
    ;) Haha. It ran at a nice pace for me, with some nice perplexers.
    :D at the video.
    krudler wrote: »
    the only problem I had with Portal 2 were the non testing room bits, they were too easy, find wall thats slight shade of white and portal it, find another wall and portal that, solution becomes clear. the Cave Johnson voiceover parts were absolutely brilliant though made that whole section hilarious to play through. "Let us cut you open, stuff some science in you, hell you should be paying us for this!"
    agree that they made it too easy to see where you could place portals. they had those bar thingies that made it blatantly obvious where you could stick your portal.

loved the voice acting though. thought it was one of the redeeming qualities of the games

• Registered Users Posts: 21 socky2011

would you feel better if i said i was an uber puzzle genius? :pac:
    HappyNow.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its that I thing that really shoots your argument in the foot on this thread as its titled "Games people think are awesome which you think suck"

as i say to ppl in HoN -GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    minecraft..now that sucks

I can totally get behind this.
    Well, maybe suck is a little too harsh, but the total lack of an actual 'game' part killed it for me.
    The freedom is kinda liberating at first but with nothing to drive you building stuff and just exploring for explorings sake got boring.

Probably didn't help that all the mods that made the game better broke constantly due to Notch being incapable of releasing a patch without adding more bugs.
    That said for a poorly coded cave simulator with the feature creep turned all the way up to 11 it was worth a fiver and gave me a few weeks worth of playing.

• Advertisement

World of Warcraft. I think its crap , it reminds me of the free MMO's you get from Japan. I just dont get why people love it .

Oh and Halo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Star Wars: Rogue Leader on the Nintendo Gamecube. It's all over the place, frankly. Far prefer rail-shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Can i choose a whole genre?

First Person Shooters.

Boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

fasty wrote: »
    Anything from Rockstar really.

What are they trying to do with their games? They pour money into their development and try to introduce gritty stories with antihero main characters and forget to put actual character or plot development into the games.

Instead you get cutscene based conversations while you travel from A to B doing whatever, in between collecting herbs or cars that all control the same.

Stop trying to make games into movies or novels, developers. you don't have it in you! The convergence of media is a bad thing.

What???

Cutscene based conversations. What's wrong with them? What's wrong with blurring the boundaries between film & gaming? I hate to be watching cut scenes in GTA, listening to the likes of Ray Liotta, Samuel L. Jackson, James Woods, Ice-T, Shaun Ryder, Frank Vincent, Chris Penn, Burt Reynolds, Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda, Gary Busey, Deborah Harry. Borrring. Stories in games suckz!1

"Travelling from A to B doing whatever" ??
    You mean breaking in to Area 51, shooting your way through, hundreds of soldiers and security and then stealing a jetpack? Base jumping off the Hoover dam? Going out to sea to a large motorboat, killing all the security and stealing a helicopter and taking out enemies with the rockets? Or having to torch a whole load of marjauna plantations for before the cops arrive, and drive an old hippie van full of weed in to San Fransisco. Boorring.

That is what we call; "Rockstar-offended".

I didn't even go near RDR or The Warriors, lol. A Game of a film!?

I didn't even go near RDR or The Warriors, lol. A Game of a film!?

Not a big fan of rockstars games but the Warriors was excellent.

I can see where people are coming from about rockstars games. I'm not mad about them either. The only ones I really love have been GTA3, Bully and the Warriors. Their games seem to be getting less sandboxy since GTA 4 whereas the far superior Saints Row 2 has been embracing the crazy stuff you can get up to in a sandbox. I like their games but I'd be hard pushed to say I love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I do like RDR, but its more for the setting than anything else, games need more western themed titles

Iv wasn't my favourite, but San Andreas pushed the boundaries. Basing the theme of 90's South Central L.A. No other games really did that. Saints Row did the whole gang thing but in fictional city in modern times. I don't mind modern just that if you're going to do 'gangsta' South Central L.A. early 90's is where it's at.

Then having 3 cities, with each one having a unique feel and certain radio stations come on according to where you are. Having the original songs that rap guys sampled as well as the rap versions of different radio stations was a nice touch and then there's just all the humour for me which was definitely more ( i wont say intellectual) but very current to the time they satirised, like having Maccer & Paul who seemed be a parody of Shaun Ryder and Bez and Shaun Ryder did one of the voices for them.

That sort of the stuff. The layering of humour and cultural references laced throughout the game did it for me.

The Warriors was done really nicely. Been trying to get it for the PS2 lately. Have it for Xbox but with no Xbox and it's not backwards compatible on the 360 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

Fallout 3, New Vegas and Oblivion.

Fallout gameplay is crap and Oblivion was like watching paint dry.

Take it Back! Eh....please?:rolleyes:

Advertisement