Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games people think are awesome which you think suck

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I really don't get how anyone couldn't appreciate the masterpiece that is Fallout 3 and, to a certain extent, New Vegas. To be honest, there aren't many games out there that I consider crap despite universal acclaim, and those that I do, would be a matter of taste rather then believing the quality of the game was poor.

Though as a diehard FPS fan, I was really disappointed with Battlefield Bad Company and it's sequel, coming from Battlefield 2 on the PC with it's vast maps, 64 players, and armadas of vehicles, aircraft and ships, it seemed like such a step back, and I couldn't get into it at all. Wouldn't say it sucked, though.

I cannot stand Final Fantasy, Zelda, Fable et al. Zero tolerance. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

The penalties in the latest PES are the worst feature of any football game I've ever played.

Then games not awful but its disappointing imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

I really don't get how anyone couldn't appreciate the masterpiece that is Fallout 3 and, to a certain extent, New Vegas. To be honest, there aren't many games out there that I consider crap despite universal acclaim, and those that I do, would be a matter of taste rather then believing the quality of the game was poor.

I agree completely! The games have so many opportunities and ways to play them. Plus: Headshots are amazing! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I really don't get how anyone couldn't appreciate the masterpiece that is Fallout 3 and, to a certain extent, New Vegas.

I was pretty disappointed by Fallout 3.

I experienced bugs whilst playing on pc. Got bluescreen'd when I went into certain areas. At one point I saved some dude who was, supposedly being held hostage, despite there being no enemies in the area or any obstacles between him and freedom. Upon reloading the game, I discovered there should have been a multitude of powerful enemies in the area, and I was now in the middle of them.

The Pip-boy's charm does not excuse the awful user interface you have to endure.

I never liked the clunky character animation. and the way they frame the conversations draw extra attention to their ugly models.

I may have had a better experience had I chose different perks/skills, but I can only say that with the benefit of hindsight.

Fnz wrote: »
    I was pretty disappointed by Fallout 3.

This brings me back to the Minecraft Argument.
    Aesthetics over interface and graphics. Sure java tends to crash or time out but we still love it? Fallout was riddled with bugs and glitches and may not be the most beautiful game in history, but stick past the first 3 hours and the rest is golden. The simplest things make this game what it is and why it is loved by many people. The Pulowski preservation shelter for example, each of them contain a slightly humorous event (A skeleton with a gun and magazine). Trailing through abandoned houses and sewers, hearing the yell of a raider or a feral ghoul, stumbling upon a super mutant encampment. The sheer variety and possibility make this much more than an average RPG. The 120+ Hours I have logged were not boring, no Siree.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I also thought Fallout 3 was pretty boring. I just stopped playing it on day 3 and couldn't be bothered going back to it. I particularly hated VATS felt a bit too much like a console compromise and felt it was too much of a waste of bullets to not use it.

I also came to it later than most but it wasn't a particularly good looking game either.

EDIT: and yeah, the pip boy was a royal pain in the hole.

Awesome intro music mind you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I loved the atmosphere, the world, the music of Fallout 3. The Wasteland was a glorious place to explore.

Hated having to fight my way through it though. Just don't get VATS - it was just awkward, leaving something that should be in the control of the player up to under-the-hood stats. Yes, it is bloody and gory, but it's implementation just seemed awkward. Or the constant juggling of inventory in a bloomin' frustrating UI.

It's a good, perhaps great, game. It's just not perfect or beyond criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I didnt see why people got so hot about Fallout, Oblivion was much better IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

Call of duty black ops for me anyway. The game is absolutely terrible and it pisses me off they got so many sales because of its predecessor Mw2.
    killstreaks dont add to your killstreak for new ones was the single worst ideaabout the game. They did it to stop camping???? yea ****ing right!!!!!!!!!There is about 10 times as much camping in black ops then any other fps game in the industry. In every single game I was actually astonished of the lengths sad people went about getting kills to keep their killstreak (from hiding in bushes for 5-10 minutes till somebody walks by or how about boosting with friends:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Spuddy91

Anything Halo just annoys me. I love other shooters but Halo really annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vicxas wrote: »
    I didnt see why people got so hot about Fallout, Oblivion was much better IMO...

I on the other hand couldn't stomach the setting of oblivion and found the more original setting of Fallout 3 far more appealing.

jamesr1775 wrote: »
    Call of duty black ops for me anyway.
    Oh yes. Oh yes indeed. My hatred for this game knows no bounds but so many people love it. I live in a place where "I play Xbox" means "CodBo Lahhhhhhdddd"
    Kill me now.
    Spuddy91 wrote: »
    Anything Halo just annoys me. I love other shooters but Halo really annoys me.
    Nothing beats a good game of Team Swat though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

My poor brother missed out on Fallout because he couldn't hack the post-apocalyptic setting......he just got depressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My poor brother missed out on Fallout because he couldn't hack the post-apocalyptic setting......he just got depressed.

He should have levelled up his computer stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

jamesr1775 wrote: »
    Call of duty black ops for me anyway. The game is absolutely terrible and it pisses me off they got so many sales because of its predecessor Mw2.
    killstreaks dont add to your killstreak for new ones was the single worst ideaabout the game. They did it to stop camping???? yea ****ing right!!!!!!!!!There is about 10 times as much camping in black ops then any other fps game in the industry. In every single game I was actually astonished of the lengths sad people went about getting kills to keep their killstreak (from hiding in bushes for 5-10 minutes till somebody walks by or how about boosting with friends:mad:)

surely then it is not the game you hate but the people that play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

surely then it is not the game you hate but the people that play it?
    yes but what has caused the people to start roasting marshmellows by their campfires?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I agree with james, the not contributing to killstreaks is kinda annoying and the lengths people go to to get 15 kills is amazing. Ive seen people hide for 3-5 minutes before someone ran past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

There's no such thing as objectively superior mechanics, level design, graphics, audio, plot or whatever it is makes you like a game. If you find it inferior, then as far as you're concerned it is. Taste is absolutely subjective.

there is when you compare the game with other games of the same genre:p while like or hate the plot/story is totally subjective tho.

saying you like or dislike a game is a matter of subjective, but you can still objectively tell the overall quality(mechanics, level design, graphics, audio) of the game is good or bad. many game reviewers fail at that.

OT:

to me almost all big titles FPS fail to impress me since doom3:pac: i dont particular like multiplayer (only do it when we taking break from the main game in LAN) so maybe thats the reason. nowadays most fps campaign take me ages to finish(i just stop after about 1 hour game play) except Portal series and the last few CoD from IW:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Halo...utterly mindless..lacks creative direction and the gameplay hasnt changed in a decade....jumping fools.

anything by Treyarch really...servants of Activision.

Science actually :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

The Mario Kart games - More a procession than a race. Handling in what is ostensibly a driving game is completely dull. The random bs is only a few steps above what occurs in Mario Party, a game I dislike even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

/stares for 10 mins, determined to the get joke.

/gets it

/feels like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

:confused::D:):rolleyes::o:(:mad:
    I think that sums up what went on in my head there when i read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fnz wrote: »
    The Mario Kart games - More a procession than a race. Handling in what is ostensibly a driving game is completely dull. The random bs is only a few steps above what occurs in Mario Party, a game I dislike even more.
    On the other hand, it lets little sisters of the world get one over their video-gaming brothers ;)

I don't enjoy GTA.
    Cars handling is junk and prevent me from running over pedestrians (yes, I don't like being total psycho), I always get lost, and I can never get a feel for the games.

Advertisement