Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Is UPC Broadband Available?

• 19-06-2011 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

UPC are terrible at telling you where their broadband is, Eircom offers you the ability to either enter your phone number or look at a map, UPC give you that house name and street address thing, is there any other way of telling where it is available, apart from customer care? thanks.

I searched the topic and didn't find any related topics, so sorry if this is asked a lot, I just couldn't find any other topic.

Also I dont think this is related to the Broadband In My Area? sticky as this is just out of general interest, thanks! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC passes 800+ homes with cable nationwide.
    Of the 800k+ some 600k+ can get broadband on that cable.
    Parts of Galway, eg parts of Galway City and always Ballinasloe cannot get Broadband on their UPC cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

can you expand on why you said "always ballinasloe" this is the area I live in.

can you expand on why you said "always ballinasloe" this is the area I live in.

Ballinasloe was always going to be last or near last for upgrading. I would think that they won't look at it until 2013 or 2014 at the rate they are going.

1. Really low grade ex Chorus cable network needs complete replacement.
    2. The MAN is not ideal either in terms of coverage or the fact that the co-lo was flooded out in late 2009 by the Suck.
    3. Ballinasloe would not have the most affluent demographic inside their coverage area.
    4. All semis and houses, no apartments really.

So they will probably get to it some time but there is a deal of lower hanging fruit on their network, eg parts of Ennis Galway Limerick and Dublin with similar populations to Ballinasloe and with better marketability prospects.

Other towns with no UPC BB are Tipp, Nenagh, Roscommon Letterkenny Tullamore etc although this map is out of date..not showing Mullingar. So don't take it personally but I reckon you guys will possibly be done at the end of the upgrade program, c. 2014 - 2015.

If your chamber of commerce and town council have not lobbied UPC about this then shame on them, fire up their asses! :(

UPC_IE_network_improvements2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

thanks for the in-depth break down, sucks really how expensive it is for them to setup, everyone would use upc if it was just available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Still not available in Drogheda... I mean its only one of the biggest towns in the country: Why bother setting up here :(

• Advertisement

Drogheda and Dundalk have no cable AT ALL, never will. Nothing to upgrade.

Fibre or nothing for you lot.

I know its still customer care, but why not just ask the live chat on their site?

Half way down on the right...
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twentyfive/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I live in shannon and can't get it, I ring them every few months to see if anything has changed...

It never has :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Letterkenny with cable, Mr. Sponge?? That's news to me. Buncrana have a wee TV distribution system, I'm not sure if you could even call it true cable!

Shannon Town has been mentioned more than once on boards, I think only some of the town can get it and they ought to sort out the rest. Ennis isn't even on that map but I assume there is cable there and that it will be upgraded in the future.

Dublin's still got UPC's hands full right now and they already have sorted out many of the provincial towns and cities up to now.

Having said that... UPC are being annoying in upgrading parts of their network that can already handle two-way comms even if the capacity is somewhat restricted. I.e. TV and broadband but no phone or HD. The likes of patches of Dublin 2, Dublin 8 and also parts of Ballyfermot and possibly Dublin 15. They've got plenty enough places with nothing except TV before they replace trunk cables and amps where broadband is already delivered:rolleyes:

Or the smart idea they had where they replaced much of the trunk cable of a street near the South Circular Road in Dublin a few months ago, only to re-replace the whole lot it with an even newer stretch of similar coax... Having said that the earlier replacement dealt with some dire coax that was visibly degraded and the place currently isn't served by UPC with broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭horse7

im in dublin 15 blanchardstown/castleknock ,with upc cable tv and with live chat from upc,they say no b/band here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

I would love to get UPC out here in the sticks... *sigh* :rolleyes:

horse7 wrote: »
    im in dublin 15 blanchardstown/castleknock ,with upc cable tv and with live chat from upc,they say no b/band here.
    Actually, I live in D.15 and have broadband as does my sister who also lives in D.15.

I think its just a few areas in Blanch who cant get broadband now...

http://www.upc.ie/media/2011/1/13/2011BuildPlanV13.png

had a look at the map and its showing my area as a completed ring,i wonder why they are telling me theres no b/band here.(blanch castleknock).

just on to upc again Please wait a moment for an agent to reply. You are now chatting with 'Julia'
    Julia: Welcome to UPC. My name is Julia. How can I help you today?
    you: can i get b/band in <address removed>. 12mb for 25euro. this area has upc upgraded services. ps can i use my old modem,
    Julia: Please bear with me while I check your address for availability.
    Julia: I found <address removed>?
    you: yes
    Julia: One more second, please.
    Julia: I found the address and it is still not released for Broadband.
    Julia: It's only the TV that's available there for the moment.
    you: when will it be b/band available
    Julia: I checked on the system for any notes, and to check if there is any release date, and I only found that it was supposed to be released already, so it must be soon.
    Julia: Usually they would also be notifying everybody by post as well when that happens.
    Julia: It probably is just some last part of the work that they are doing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd been waiting for about five or so years for UPC (Then NTL) to come to my part of D15 and they only started accepting orders for broadband today. I'd say that if your area had just been recently upgraded they'll start accepting orders sometime this week or next.

weve had ntl for last 30years,but not b /band.

I'd been waiting for about five or so years for UPC (Then NTL) to come to my part of D15 and they only started accepting orders for broadband today. I'd say that if your area had just been recently upgraded they'll start accepting orders sometime this week or next.
    probably upgraded as recent as 6 months ago.

and still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

I'm in an apartment in Dublin 4 and while I can get UPC tv, they say I can't get broadband. However other houses on my road can get it.

Is there anything I can do to sort this out myself?

You sure you are on cable not MMDS via fly swat aerial ?

• Advertisement

Even if he is on MMDS, what does he/she do to get off it?

Run cable!

... and hope it miraculously finds its way into a cable tap?

UPC have to do the work of laying some cables and putting the right details on the system and particularly connecting anything to a tap. I've had some grief for an address in Dublin 2 despite the cable tap lying outside the front door and the house was even precabled with the wires going indoors coiled up beside the gutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You sure you are on cable not MMDS via fly swat aerial ?

I'm not really sure? I live in a set of apartment townhouses which are facing directly on to the main road. It's not like its a gated community off on its own.

I think there is a single point in our complex from which the UPC cables come out of and into all the apartments. Perhaps this is what needs to be upgraded?

If I asked them to look at it, would they do it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

Really annoyed at the **** you cant get a straight answer from them as to when they plans to upgrade an area.

You might as well be talking to the wall as to be using that live chat thing on the website.

I've only just sent them a long winded email via customer service on the availablility in the Ballinasloe area.

Hopefully they will come back with something along the lines of a year even:rolleyes:

Get your local TD to ask their CEO straight out in writing about Ballinasloe. The CS staff are notoriously crap.

UPC are on course to complete the upgrade ( or abandonment) of the remainer of their network in 2 years time, Q2 2014 . The MMDS spectrum will be switched off in April 2014.

This will leave them with around 800-820k cabled homes. 720k can get broadband today and this figure increases by around 40-60k a year depending on the effort they put in.

It would not surprise me in the least were Ballinasloe Tipp town and Nenagh the last places to be done ...Q1 or Q2 2014. Perhaps 2013 if they are lucky.

UPC are on course to complete the upgrade ( or abandonment) of the remainer of their network in 2 years time, Q2 2014 . The MMDS spectrum will be switched off in April 2014.

This will leave them with around 800-820k cabled homes. 720k can get broadband today and this figure increases by around 40-60k a year depending on the effort they put in.

It would not surprise me in the least were Ballinasloe Tipp town and Nenagh the last places to be done ...Q1 or Q2 2014. Perhaps 2013 if they are lucky.

I sent a long winded email to there customer service as regards the Ballinasloe Area,,There response i got was as follows:

As this area is MMDS we will never have broadband in this area
    Our broadband only works on the cable system

Ballinasloe _IS_ cabled is it not??

Some cabled systems in certain towns distributed a signal that was MMDS'd in to a headend in the town an then on cable. You got an MMDS 'package' of channels by cable.

They have upgraded cabled areas fed by MMDS headends before, eg in Balbriggan and North County Dublin and possibly Kilcock.

UPC CS probably wouldn't know the difference.

• Advertisement

Ballinasloe _IS_ cabled is it not??

Some cabled systems in certain towns distributed a signal that was MMDS'd in to a headend in the town an then on cable. You got an MMDS 'package' of channels by cable.

They have upgraded cabled areas fed by MMDS headends before, eg in Balbriggan and North County Dublin and possibly Kilcock.

UPC CS probably wouldn't know the difference.

I emailed my local T.D who will write to the UPC CEO for clarify on the above.

I will keep you posted when he gets back to me

Advertisement