Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Is UPC Broadband Available?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mickyoc85 wrote: »
    I emailed my local T.D who will write to the UPC CEO for clarify on the above.

I will keep you posted when he gets back to me

Interestering, let us know how you get on. Never can understand what a TD can do about it, surely their job is to introduce/debate new national legislation in the Dail on behalf of their constitutents.

You might want to contact your local councillor from your local government(authority).
    He/She could look back over the planning permissions that were granted by the relevant local government planning department to the various telecommunications to lay telecommunications equipment under the ground.

I'd imagine your local councillor could tell you what telecommunicaiton equipment has been mapped out, at least I assume they, the local authority, map out these cables/pipes out so that other utility companies don't dig through cables when digging up the roads.

I'm always amazed how people don't request their local government to establish a position for a Telecommunications Manager to spearhead the search to bring proper broadband to the area. Local government know exactly who lives where, how many in each house, the demographics of the area, and the requirements of their constituents. Local government can prioritise planning permission for road works in other than cables can be laid quickly. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

I emailed my local T.D who will write to the UPC CEO for clarify on the above.

I will keep you posted when he gets back to me

Interestering, let us know how you get on. Never can understand what a TD can do about it, surely their job is to introduce/debate new national legislation in the Dail on behalf of their constitutents.

You might want to contact your local councillor from your local government(authority).
    He/She could look back over the planning permissions that were granted by the relevant local government planning department to the various telecommunications to lay telecommunications equipment under the ground.

I'd imagine your local councillor could tell you what telecommunicaiton equipment has been mapped out, at least I assume they, the local authority, map out these cables/pipes out so that other utility companies don't dig through cables when digging up the roads.

I'm always amazed how people don't request their local government to establish a position for a Telecommunications Manager to spearhead the search to bring proper broadband to the area. Local government know exactly who lives where, how many in each house, the demographics of the area, and the requirements of their constituents. Local government can prioritise planning permission for road works in other than cables can be laid quickly. :rolleyes:

Got a reply from td today with a letter from UPC attached:
    It basically says that ballinasloe is not on their plans for upgrade nor will it be in the foseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

It basically says that ballinasloe is not on their plans for upgrade nor will it be in the foseeable future.

Light house networks is piloting a fibre scheme in Loughrea so that could be good news for Ballinasole because if the pilot is successful they might roll it out to other towns.

http://lightnet.ie/fibre-broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Yeah, you see, this letter should be forwarded to Local Government.
    It is their job to ensure that people in the local community have access to vital services - after all how do they expect you to pay the household charge:D.
    You read the fantastic work the lads did here and immediately it hits you, this is why we have local government to organise services like this across communities.:mad:

Should local government along with e|net not hold meetings with telecommunications providers about how to provide better services :mad:
    CIE Fibre Network map
    CIE Shared Fibre map
    Ducting adjacent to Gas Network map

Source: http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/Communications+Policy/Next+Generation+Broadband/Next+Generation+broadband.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Go with the Lighthouse fibre project if UPC are abandoning Ballinasloe in 2014 ( their MMDS licence runs out in just under 2 years)

UPC still have a choice, if tehy won't play ball then feck them.!

• Advertisement
Advertisement