Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling in NZ, which route?

Options
  • 19-06-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in Thailand and friends are heading back the end of the month. I want the summer out and thinking NZ will be a great experience for a month tourist trip, as I am allowed change my Thai date return for a small fee and why not? Might hit a few more places before heading to NZ so we'll see.

I have searched so sorry if it's already done but I couldn't find it.

Which way is the best route to take, like south to north or north to south and where are good places to stop off, must sees etc. Be great if someone could share their experience from there. Any advise appreciated so please do.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

omg.

id do NZ again in an instant.

i did the whole country in one month.

land in auckland.
    straight away book kiwi experience tour.

and fly out of christchurch.

im telling you.

best time of my life.

youl make a gazillion friends.

i did!!

DO IT!

im guna do it again in two years!!!:D

i had 1500 euro.

and was fine.

i sky dived.
    bungee jumped
    horse trekked.
    water rafted
    drank ALOT
    went to coal mines(random but awesome)
    went to loads of random places which were amazing.
    did an icetrek in the mountains
    went to an oldschool cinema!!
    rock climbed
    absailed..

erm..
    I DID LOADS..

like at least.. 5 things a week..

more money you have.. more you can do..

but you dont HAVE to do anything.

omg im jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

northern hemi or southern hemi summer?
    when you intend to arrive in NZ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Hi Jay D,

I would 100% suggest you travel NZ with the Kiwi Experience bus tour.I did it a couple of yrs back flying into Auckland and out of Christchurch.To say it was the best month of my life is an understatement!!!
    You will meet soooo many people on Kiwi Ex. Friends for life if ur as lucky as me :D
    We spent approx 10days in the North Island.Wasnt overly impressed with this part of NZ.You shud certainly allow the majority of time for the South Island.Make sure you go to places like Taupo (best place for skydiving rite over the lake), Wellington,Franz Josef (hike the glacier here.unbelievable!),Wanaka (some of the best scenery i have ever seen in my life!)and of course Queenstown.What a place that is!Words cant describe how much this country has to offer.
    If you have a look at the Kiwi Exp website you will see plenty of route options.We chose the tour called Sheepdog.Quality!!!
    There are much more stops available on other tours but for the length of time we had there we found Sheepdog the best.Also, we were there in May so certain places werent advisable to go to cos the weather was sooooo cold/rainy/windy.

Anyway, really hope you have a great time.If you have any other questions feel free to ask.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Thanks so much for the feedback guys it's great to hear and very encouraging also. I'm completely sold on it, like even to think that I might not have the guts to bungy over a forest or cliffs once I get up there, then again I think I might just close my eyes and jump :o haha, either way I'm completely relishing the prospect and for the likes of sky diving then I guess I won't actually have a choice once up there :) Just aware here of the scale of activities available and now that more are being pointed out, amazing.

Right, flight wise are there any recommendations? Like if I was to get onto the likes of trailfinders they would have the ability maybe to get a decently priced flight going in one place and out another, but does anyone have any advise on this from here? I suppose it's handy having the likes of trailfinders in case there are any obstacles along the way I can get onto them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

airasia is your cheapest option from thailand

Thanks man, it seems they only go into Christchurch, but having checked that recommended guide from above, I found this:
    http://www.kiwiexperience.com/kea-travel-pass.aspx

Still trying to route flights within NZ so I can get from Auk back to Christchurch. Looks easy enough, although now just checked the weather, wasn't aware it was winter and I'm kitted purely in hot weather clothes at the minure, bar a piar of jeans and a hoody! Would it be worth getting stuff sent over or is it reasonable enough there?

i was in the same position

i went from thailand thinking it was a hot country!!

just go to kmart or.. sumit along the lines of office works?
    i cant remember the name of it..

get yerself some cheap huddys nd a rain jacket.
    ul be fiiiiiiiiiiiiine!!

dont be arsed gettin stuff sent! you nly afta carry it!

least you can chuck this stuf!

I sent an email to the company asking but for convenience as its midnight here, does that price of near $500NZ include accommodation?

for the kiwi thing?
    we got it for 395 i think.

and no..
    you stil have to pay for accom and food and activities and stuff...

you can get base card which is cheaper..
    make sure you get them as you head north cause the prices go right up.

also..
    500 nz dollars is only bout 260 euro..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 J4mie

Might be worth noting that Christchurch has not yet settled after the big quakes, they are still getting approx 3 aftershocks a day (some being up to 5). Would not spend much time around the city, just arrive at the airport and fly out. Rest of the country has no issues so dont be put off.

after shocks or no aftershocks..

why go all the way and not visit one place for a few days.

live a little.

Im sure Thailand is a hell of a lot more dangerous.

*FIRE SKIPPING WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP*

Yeah the kiwi thing, thanks. They still haven't got back even though I asked them asap, then their offices are already closed when I tried to call. But thanks for answering my question.

What's this base card thing? Is it the loyalty thing? Oh and as for the flame skipping, well I was advised not to as there are rumors floating about the operators get commission on injuries/treatments from clinics and it seems plausible. :D

haha
    my mate crashed a lil moped

and ripped his knee open.. so he was in the clinic gettin treated

there was another irish guy..
    with bandages all over his torso and head..

burns from the fire..

he was prob off his face.
    woke up in hospital.

going ah jaysus. too much buckets eh!

haha!!
    and yea the base card..
    its like you pay so much for maybe 10 nights

but its works out cheaper.
    so if you get it just before the south island.. even get two cards..
    cause the prices go right up to 30 dollars when you get down south..
    when they start off at jus 21..

Thanks man I asked the contact at kiwi specifically about this but just got a long generic email template. Helpful for other things all the same.

Do you have a link you used for them? Or are they available from shops there and if so which ones?

Flights booked and paid for now and genuinely excited, thanks for the advise so far ;)

Advertisement