Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help The Crusty Gamer

Options
  • 19-06-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Can you help this Crusty Gamer?

I’m a middle-aged man who likes a bit of gaming now and then. What I’m looking for are a few recommendations for XBOX games I might like.

Goldeneye on the N64 is probably my favourite game of all time, and I also liked the Zelda series.

Have played Mafia, Deus Ex, Half Life and Far Cry on the pc and enjoyed these.

On the XBOX I find the COD series of games very repetitive. Just seems to be ‘head down shoot and run to the end of the level.’

What I particularly liked about Goldeneye was it wasn’t all about shooting everyone in sight to finish the level; you had to find other stuff as well. I also liked that you could play the 3 different difficulty levels simultaneously, so when you get stuck on a level you can try one of the others and then go back to it.

Games I have played/playing/yet to play…

Far Cry 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2, Mercenaries 2, Gears of War, Halo, Kane & Lynch, Oblivion and I will be getting Mafia 11 some time soon.

As you can see, I’m not too bothered about getting the up to date games as I normally get them when they are a bit cheaper.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Fallout 3 if you like FPS with an RPG element

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I recommend the Gears of War series, I love it to bits.

Halo 3 you can pick up very cheap so you will know easily if you like/dislike the series as they have a very similar feel to them.

Since you enjoyed Half Life (the first one?), the orange box is not too pricey these days and has Half Life 2 and HL episode1+2, Team Fortress and Portal. Portal is a nice puzzle game.

You enjoyed the Legend of Zelda, get Darksiders. It is basically LoZ if it was not aimed for the tastes of kids.

Have a browse around the xbox arcade demos too as there can be some great games for less than €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Going by your recommendations, i highly recommend getting the Orange Box, contains Half Life 2, HL2: Episode 1 and HL2: Ep.2 (all extremely fantastic games), plus Portal (one of the best games ever) and Team Fortress 2 (<-- online only).

Edit: CORaven got there before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

@Chunky Lover Fallout 3 looks a lively contender.

@CORaven Darksiders is a definite. I see what you mean..... Zelda without the bunny ears.

@Potential The Orange Box has been on the radar for a while.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

S.T.A.L.K.E.R with the oblivion lost mod, a proper PC shooter

• Advertisement

Auvers wrote: »
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R with the oblivion lost mod, a proper PC shooter

I'm really looking for XBOX games, don't think I'd have the spec for that game, but cheers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Have a look at deadspace 1+2 aswell

Lab_Mouse wrote: »

Will do. Cheers

Anyone played Quantum of Solace? If it's equal to Goldeneye it would be good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

RichT wrote: »
    Will do. Cheers

Anyone played Quantum of Solace? If it's equal to Goldeneye it would be good enough for me.

its very poor

id avoid it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

CORaven wrote: »
    You enjoyed the Legend of Zelda, get Darksiders.
    Lab_Mouse wrote: »

I'd also back these games. They are fantastic fun, and well worth trying out.

I'd also recommend Batman: Arkham Asylum because I simply believe everyone owes it to themselves to play this one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Alice madness returns. Disturbing game, but if you really really love something non main stream. Check few trailers of it.

Fairy tale gone wrong! So far it's best game of the year. And it still be high after holiday releases.

Bioshock 1 and 2 if you liked first one. Great atmosphere.

Oramge box as mentioned above.

Dantes inferno

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do you like the gta games? If you do get red remdemption

Thanks for the brilliant advice above.

Should keep me going for the next decade! One advantage of being a Crusty Gamer is that you get plenty of mileage out of a game. No games finished in a weekend for this 'aul wan' (level 1 maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

I agree that Fallout 3 is a great one to try! All the fun of a Wasteland, Now with added Radscorpians! Yeah definitely my favourite game of all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

bioshock is pretty class

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Yeah Rich am no spring chicken myself.....just finished Mafia2 and can say its pretty good...you might think about buying Rainbow6 vegas2 , should be very cheap now too..its a shooter thats a little more tactical and the cover system allows you set your own pace.

Advertisement