Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting my samsung smartphone

Options
  • 19-06-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

The software that came with my phone will not work for Windows 7 (64 bit) and I am going to try to use a card reader instead.

But the shop assistant in Maplins has assured me that I should not need any software to see my mobile phone's content and that I should be able to open the micro sd card in the PC just by going into Explorer.

When I try this I do get a noise out of the computer as I connect the phone to the usb port (also a sound out of the mobile phone as I disconnect it) but it does not show up as a drive in Computer.

So will I definitely be needing a card reader to transfe files from the phone to the PC after all?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Which samsung smartphone do you have? There are several possibilities?

When I connect my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S, I get a notification in the notification bar that usb is connected, I then have to select "copy files to/from computer", I then have to select "connect storage to PC". After that, the phone acts like an external usb drive and I get an E drive and an F drive.

Do you get the usb icon in your notification bar. If yes, pull down the bar and select usb and follow on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

thanks
    is the notification bar the same thing as the taskbar?
    If so ,no I don't get any real response on the screen when I plug in the cable-except a sound .

The phone I have is a Samsung s-5560.
    It came with the usb cable and software but that only worked for winxp and they (Samsung ) have not done an upgrade to Win7 which is what my new PC works on .
    (I think that is fairly disgraceful of them partly because I desperately tried third party websites to find usable software and temporarily damaged my machine in the process)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

Geordief go to the link below on the Samsung site. In the middle of the page you should see tabs for (download center) (Faq)(How to) IN the Download centre one which should be already highlighted your should see manual and software, click to the software option and the downloadable software available for your smart phone is there. The software is winxp,vista and win7 compatible according to the site.

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/mobile-phone/mobile-phone/style/GT-S5560LKAXSP/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

With regards the card in your phone showing up as a readable drive just by connecting it to the pc, I dont think they do that with the samsung smart phones. I have a galaxy s and when i connect to a pc it does not allow me to access the card within the phone. I need to have the kies software running. There maybe a way around it but i never looked for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Please don't tell us you bought a phone in Maplin. It's the most expensive outlet in the country

Geordief go to the link below on the Samsung site. In the middle of the page you should see tabs for (download center) (Faq)(How to) IN the Download centre one which should be already highlighted your should see manual and software, click to the software option and the downloadable software available for your smart phone is there. The software is winxp,vista and win7 compatible according to the site.

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/mobile-phone/mobile-phone/style/GT-S5560LKAXSP/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

QUOTE]
    thanks

I am almost certain I have tried that link.

The problem is that it still will not work on a 64 bit machine.I think some people have been able to run their Win7 OS in XP mode but that doesn't work for me.
    I long since ran out of patience with their software and am just going to go down the usb card reader road instead.
    But I was curious as to why the man in Maplins was so sure that I didn't even need a card reader and just use Explorer.
    I realise he may have been mistaken and that that may work in some phones but not in the s-5560

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Please don't tell us you bought a phone in Maplin. It's the most expensive outlet in the country
    no
    I got it in Carphonewarehouse in Enniskillen.
    I do like Maplins though (all that stuff being up on the web appeals to me).
    I didn't know they could be expensive though.

Advertisement