Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Golf 1.4 2000

• 19-06-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a problem with my Golf.
    I put maybe €10 petrol into it and it starts grand. The problem starts when it cools and I try to start it again. It just won't start for about 90 seconds. The only way I can start it is push the accelerator down the the floor and keep it their. When the car eventually starts there is a wicked smell of petrol.
    Now the real worrying thing happens. I start to drive and the car just spits and jumps along the road for about the first 3km. Then it is fine as if nothing happened.
    Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could be a fuel pump problem but if it was I'd imagine the problem would persist after 3km. When were the spark plugs last changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

you might need 2 get it scanned with vcds to see if it showes up any faults and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Could be a fuel pump problem but if it was I'd imagine the problem would persist after 3km. When were the spark plugs last changed?

About 200 miles ago, during its last service. (It was doing it before the service).

It seems to only happen when I fill with petrol..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 actonfarrell

Hi,
    I have a problem with my Golf.
    I put maybe €10 petrol into it and it starts grand. The problem starts when it cools and I try to start it again. It just won't start for about 90 seconds. The only way I can start it is push the accelerator down the the floor and keep it their. When the car eventually starts there is a wicked smell of petrol.
    Now the real worrying thing happens. I start to drive and the car just spits and jumps along the road for about the first 3km. Then it is fine as if nothing happened.
    Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

hello the same thing happens to my golf 1.4 12years old...i have to accelerate too, what ive noticed is the oil lamp showed up but it was orange not the usual red colour..if i have to just make a quick stop then start the car again thats when it happens...the joys of motoring!!! ive gone through a few cars this is my favorite one but the most problematic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

My Octavia has a 1.4 engine, never had this problem but with that year Vags

Red oil light = low oil pressure
    Orange oil light = low oil level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

hello the same thing happens to my golf 1.4 12years old...i have to accelerate too, what ive noticed is the oil lamp showed up but it was orange not the usual red colour..if i have to just make a quick stop then start the car again thats when it happens...the joys of motoring!!! ive gone through a few cars this is my favorite one but the most problematic!!!

Since that post i've bought a diesel golf! Best move i've made!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

i had a problem before with low fuel but when the tank was full it was grand, turns out it was the fuel pump, that was on a polo

Advertisement