Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken and rice diet

• 19-06-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭

Our boxer got a really bad tummy bug about a month ago (munching on a dead seagull at the beach - tut, tut!).
    Since then he's been on a rice and chicken diet trying to purge the bug from his system. The vet warned it could take a long rime.

Is it safe to keep feeding him just chicken and rice? He's in great firm and his poos, while still a bit runny, are a fraction if what they used to be, quantity-wise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Short answer, no. It's not a balanced diet and is deficient in calcium, for one thing. It's only intended for short-term feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If he has a dodgy tummy you could ask the vet for hills i/d, it is specially for gastro problems. Iv never heard of feeding chicken & rice for a whole month. Is he still showing signs of a tummy bug? :confused:

If you want to feed a similar diet you could look into raw or barf feeding, it's basically feeding raw bones, meat and depending on who you ask some veg. I don't feed it myself but there are loads on here who do and it usually does wonders for the dogs, someone else might be able to give more info on the quantities of everything. Much cheaper if you make friends with your butcher! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Did you give the dog 24 hours without food, just water, first so that the tum could settle? I find that helps when any of mine get a dose. Then I feed them on chicken and rice of Royal Canin sensativity which has the chicken and rice and other nutrients to help them along.

You could start adding cooked carrot, and cooked courgette or peas and see how you go. Eventually putting the dog on a dog food that suits his tum.

White rice is good for firming up the poo, brown rice helps fill them and provides fibre. You could also try cooked potato and turkey, pork might be a bit greasy for him at the mo.

It's up to you in the long run if you want to feed him a particular brand of food or if you want to continue cooking for him you'll know yourself what agrees with him most there are so many dog food brands out there and so many opinions on what's best to feed dogs that it can get confusing.

Advertisement