Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland

Options
  • 19-06-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I was in some Irish lads house last night watching the golf and he had Sky Ireland. I.e. channel 101 was RTE1 not BBC1.

How do you go about setting that up in London?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

can't im afraid, although i'd take bbc over RTE anyday! think it's different satellites, my uncle in very east Waterford gets bbc as 101, not RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I was just watching it last night in Clapham. He had Irish Sky here in London. He still has BBC etc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 coxyboy

with sky card in receiver when u plug it in rte1 is on 101.if u take card out and plug in and out receiver 101 becomes bbc1.

PH4T wrote: »
    I was just watching it last night in Clapham. He had Irish Sky here in London. He still has BBC etc as well.

nice, that's interesting! if you figure that one out let me know. still like my bbc though, but would be tempting sometimes.

coxyboy wrote: »
    with sky card in receiver when u plug it in rte1 is on 101.if u take card out and plug in and out receiver 101 becomes bbc1.

is that an irish sky card?

• Advertisement

coxyboy wrote: »

Yeah I think he has an Irish sky card and box he took over from Ireland and then got a private company to install a dish in London.

How could you get an Irish Sky card without having it first installed in Ireland somewhere?

it more than likely was installed over here first then taken over to england.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Yes it is possible to Irish Sky in London as my brother has it in his place. He has his Sky registered to an Irish address and is using his Irish Sky card and box. As long as he doesn't connect the phone line to the box it won't revert to a UK setup. It is a hassle to be paying the subscription in Euro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ya you have to have a Irish sky card.

What I would do is set it up at an Irish address pay your bills through that, and you would get the Irish set up of RTE and so on

But Irish sky is more expensive than UK sky so I wouldn't bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I know some people who are on secondment in London, working in an Irish company. Their work pays for them to have Irish Sky and a sub to the Irish Times or Independent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bill_lehane

Wow, that is something I would never even have thought of doing! Moving over to London myself next month, although I'm not much of a TV watcher anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I have one of each; great for watching Vincent Browne before going to sleep. It's the same satellite (actually satellites) and for the poster who'd miss BBC1, don't worry it's on ch141!

Can't be connected to a phone line, must e paid in EUR and charged to an Irish address.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I have one of each; great for watching Vincent Browne before going to sleep. It's the same satellite (actually satellites) and for the poster who'd miss BBC1, don't worry it's on ch141!

Can't be connected to a phone line, must e paid in EUR and charged to an Irish address.

I can pay in Euro but to charge it to an Irish address do you have to get it physically installed at that address first?

Either that or a friendly installer in ireland who will register it for you . Remember that it will have to be billed to the Irish address at which t has been "installed" and the usual "one free box" per subscriber applies.

Does this also work with a Sky MultiRoom card from Ireland?

I.e. Could you get multi room installed in your parents place in Ireland and take the card over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No as you have to have a phone line connected to a multi room.

i got multiroom over a year ago and not long after i unplugged phone line.still working with no call from sky;)

afatbollix wrote: »
    No as you have to have a phone line connected to a multi room.

I'd put it slightly differently. THe boxes will work if they're not connected to the same phone line. THe issue is that periodically Sky may check and if they find that they're not connected they will send you a warning. If after that you don't reconnect them, they will start to bill you for a second subscription. That said, there seems to be some mixed experience as I've met people who claim never to have had an issue.

PH4T: YOu should bring the box that the card is already paired to rather than just the card. If you take the card you'll need to pair it with a box and Sky will immediately realise that it's not connected to the same phone line.

I've spent the last 10 days over in Dublin and brought the Irish SKY box back with me so I'd have TV in my flat here. Tomorrow it's going back to the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ncoen

Mod note: This post is not for the London forum. You have already posted it in the relevant Sky forum. Also, please don't drag up threads from five years ago.

Advertisement