Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horses......... lots of lays

Options

Comments

2.45 Kempton Understory 9.2 €4.00

Understory's best trip does appear to be 10f so I reckon in this 0 to 75 off 74 Understory has a very very good chance and again the price seems a bit too big.

Understory has won over 10f here and on turf too, also lto Understory finished 2nd over the 10f trip beaten less than a length. 10f races can be quite tactical and Understory has been seen to just about win and just about lose too, for the most part over 10f though Understory is involved.

RoverJames wrote: »
    3.15 Kempton Best Trip 13 €5 and tbp €4 at SP...................
    2nd last
    2.45 Kempton Understory 9.2 €4.00................
    5th

-€13 today

2.25 W'ton Ivory Silk 16.5 €9.75

11 runners for this 0 to 85 6f HC, a decent field containing Requisite and Dasho so should be a good race, the 6 year old, Ivory Silk is a fair bit overpriced at 15/1 I think.

Ivory Silk is a decent AW performer, 5 wins, 6 2nds and 4 3rds from 30 runs, focusing solely on Wolverhampton reads 1 win, 3 2nds and a 3rd from 8 runs.

The current mark of 75 is one that Ivory Silk is more than capable of going in off, her W'ton win was in a 0 to 85 off 80 admittedly back in Dec 08. Recently Ivory Silk finishing 2nd in a claimer a few weeks ago here over the 6f trip, beating the higher rated and much fancied fav in the process.

6.45 Kempton Cheylesmore 22 €5.0

A 7 runner 8f 0 to 75 handicap for 3 year olds, as with any 3 yo race these wouldn't be fully exposed etc etc and the form though indicative of ability isn't to be taken too literally.

Cheylesmore at over 20/1 looks a decent bet, won lto on turf over 7f off 67 in a 0 to 70 quite comfortably. Also has a 3yo win at Lingfield over 7f in the book, off 64 in a 0 to 70, again quite a comfy win.

Breeding wise (I know little about it) but there's a mile in there anyway.

7.15 Kempton Gazboolou 8.4 €8.0 and tbp
    Gazboolou 2.68 €3.95

Hands and Heels race, this yoke has stayed on over the longer 9f trip so I think it may well be conducive to a decent run here.

Gazboolou is a course and distance winner if you go back into the form far enough but as recently as November finished 3rd over 8f here off today's mark of 57 in a 0 to 65, this 0 to 60 is an easier proposition and combined with Gazboolou's staying prowess the price looks very decent.

Jockey is Jake Payne, who has lots of experience and a fair share of winners, also got a decent tune out of Gazboolou a few weeks back, finishing 2nd by a nose off 57 again over 7f at Lingfield in a 0 to 58, beaten by a horse rated 64 carrying the same weight. I see Jake being in the saddle as a plus.

• Advertisement

2.25 W'ton Ivory Silk 16.5 €9.75

9th
    6.45 Kempton Cheylesmore 22 €5.0..........
    2nd
    7.15 Kempton Gazboolou 8.4 €8.0 and tbp
    Gazboolou 2.68 €3.95..........

4th

-€26.70 today

That's me done till the 26th :)
    Happy Christmas to all posters and readers and thank you to boards.ie for facilitating my log :cool:

RJ's back for one more pre Christmas bet :pac:

Spotted a potentially hugely overpriced yoke at Dundalk and considering the price it must go in here :)

7.00 Dundalk Miss Martinstown 16 €5.0 and tbp Miss Martinstown 3.8 €4.0

Miss Martinstown racing off 55 in this 47 to 65 8f handicap is 7lbs lower than when finishing 3 1/2l 4th of 12 here over CD in a 3 yo Handicap last year, only one run since than and it was poor but the price compensates and if firing at all should be in with a shout.

I don't fancy the fav, Cool Athlete, up 3lbs for a CD win lto in which there was only 2l covering the first six home.

Price is tumbling so the value is diminishing with it, very happy with the 16.0

7.00 Dundalk Miss Martinstown 16 €5.0 and tbp Miss Martinstown 3.8 €4.0.........

Unplaced -€9 today

2.15 W'ton Kingswinford 7.65 €10.00

Looks like value to me, hard to gauge without early markets though.

Kingswinford has had only 3 AW spins, the most recent finishing 3rd here in a claimer back in October, wasn't a bad effort to be fair....

« 1 6 Dialogue 7/2 5 8-13 Ollie Pears 85 * * »
    Michael O'Connell3

Slowly into stride, held up, headway over 2f out, ran on to lead well inside final furlong, comfortably (op 6-1)

« 2 1 2¼ Zomerlust 16/1 9 9-2 v John Quinn 82 * *
    P B Beggy

Led, ridden over 1f out, headed and unable to quicken well inside final furlong

« 3 7 hd Kingswinford (IRE) 7/2 5 8-9 Brian Ellison 79 * * »
    Paul Pickard3

Held up, headway over 3f out, ridden to chase leader over 1f out, edged left inside final furlong, stayed on same pace (op 11-4)

« 4 8 3 Benandonner (USA) 9/4F 8 9-5 Mike Murphy 89 * * »
    Kieren Fallon

Chased leaders, ridden over 1f out, no extra inside final furlong (op 5-2)

Beaten 2 1/2 lengths, winner was rated 6lbs better and was carrying 4lbs more so has 2lbs on Kingswinford, horse in 2nd who was only a head in front was rated 3lbs better but was carrying 7lbs more so did well relative to Kingswinford. Kingswinford finished ahead of the fav though, by 3l, and the fav was rated 10lbs better and was carrying 10lbs more. In my book of racing logic Kingswinford did well in that race.

7 furlong suits Kingswinford and with at least a few lbs on the rest of these with the surface not being a disadvantage I see the price as being too big :) (I can't see 5 other horses with a rationale chance in this)

2.55 W'ton Follow The Flag 17 €2.0, €2 at 17.5 & €2 at 19.

I've backed this one once or twice before, back over 9f now and the price available was too big not to have another go today, do remember folks this log is simply about me making cash from a tiny initial bank and isn't a tipping service or anything akin to it, I wouldn't be backing Follow the Flag at the 12.0 available now :)

Anyway after some terrible runs Follow The Flag got into form recently over 11f at Southwell off 71, got 6lbs for that and went lto over 12f and finished 2nd.

Now running off 80 Follow The Flag tackles the 9f trip, earlier this year Follow The Flag won a 0 to 85 off 82 at Lingfield over 8f, the extra furlong here isn't a concern and if Follow The Flag is still in racing mood can definitely have a say in this.

Follow The Flag is at a mark that makes winning a challenge but this race isn't too hot, the market leader, Gritstone also has it to do after another rise in the weights and the field doesn't look particularly great. 16/1 is far too big anyway :cool:

• Advertisement

3.30 w'ton Kames Park 8.8 €2.67

Tiny wager on this one and not a great deal to say, getting on a bit, has a few more wins left in the tank I would think and in a 7 runner the price is fair. Tiny stake though as ye can see :)

2.15 W'ton Kingswinford 7.65 €10.00

5th
    2.55 W'ton Follow The Flag 17 €2.0, €2 at 17.5 & €2 at 19.................
    3rd
    3.30 w'ton Kames Park 8.8 €2.67...........
    4th

-€18.67 today

2.25 Southwell King Pin 7.4 €8.0

0 to 60 8f Southwell handicaps aren't the place to make your fortune but Kingpin looks likely to have a very decent chance of taking this.

Kingpin is topweight here, beaten over 3l lto here over the trip off 61 in a better race, take the fav out of that race ( :pac: I know I know) and Kingpin was only beaten a length, the fav was rated 65 so I hope ye can see where I'm coming from.

Kingpin seems a horse that's thereabouts given the trip and rating and topweight is the place to be when in that boat.

3.35 Southwell Avertis €4.00 at SP, 13 €1.36, 14 €3.95 & 13.5 €2.64
    Also €4 tbp at SP

One for the horses for courses train of thought in this 0 to 75 8f race.

Avertis has a decent CD record, from 6 runs Avertis has won twice, finished 3rd twice and ran woefully twice :)

The wins were off 75 in a 0 to 75 in Nov08 and off 75 in a 0 to 75 in Dec09.
    The 3rds were off 80 in a 0 to 86 in Sep 09 and off 79 in a 0 to 85 in Nov09.

Last win came on turf at Epsom in Jul2010 off 73 in a 0 to 80, recent form hasn't been too bad and I think a big run might be on the cards over the suitable trip and surface off a mark of 70 which is more than feasible for this 6 year old who is the veteran of this young field, only 10 career starts though :)

Leonna Mayor onboard today, in great form she is too, a win a 2nd and a third from the last 3 runs in over the last fortnight, overall profile not bad at all and she is more than capable of steering Avertis home if things drop right.

2.25 Southwell King Pin 7.4 €8.0

3.35 Southwell Avertis €4.00 at SP, 13 €1.36, 14 €3.95 & 13.5 €2.64
    Also €4 tbp at SP..

both unplaced and not at all in with a shout

-€23.95 today

2.40 Lingfield Ivory Silk 15 €5

Have backed this one before, more than once without success but the consistently juicy prices and sensible stakes allow such carry on.

As with previous thoughts I reckon Ivory Silk is overpriced here, topweight in a 0 to 75 is a decent springboard and the 6f trip isn't a worry, the draw is good too.

You don't have to go too far back into 2011 to see Ivory Silk running respectably off higher marks in better races than this, apologies for not saying too much but I've written a speel about Ivory Silk a week or so before Christmas and I'd bore myself churning it out again :pac:

Just an example of value, I'm always blowing on about it, the 5.20 in W'ton Pilgrim Dancer caught my eye formwise, 14/1 in the RP price guide, very interested, 3.9 fav on Betfair, not interested :)

It's a 0 to 50 7f race, Pilgrim Dancer was only beaten by a tad over 2l off 58 in a 0 to 60 CD race in July, since then hasn't ran over 7f on the AW, down to 50 today, also topweight. Pilgrim Dancer won a CD 0 to 60 off 55 in January, the sort of form that I love to back, not at the price though, I'd want 5/1 at least.

In a 12 runner race with lots of 3 year old horses (hard to evaluate what they've done against what they are capable of) with a few course winners and some who have won over the trip 3/1 is too short for me :(

Might well romp home though.

....10 at 5.9, nice drift

6.20 W'ton If You Whisper 20 €6.00 & tbp 6 €0.32, 5.6 €2.10, 5.5 €1.58

9f 0 to 70 HC, If You Whisper tackles it off 69.

If You Whisper commenced 2011 rated 78, finishing 2nd of 4 over 8f at Lingfield in a 0 to 85, beaten a length. If You Whisper had won the previous race, a 7f maiden at Southwell which was it's 4th start.

Not great since than and has slipped to a mark of 69, best effort really has been the run at Lingfield over 10f off 72, beaten 3 1/2l in a 0 to 75.

Hard to know what will bring the best out of this one but I do think If You Whisper is a classier animal than many of these and at the price is worth a bet.

7.20 W'ton Moscow Oznick 40 €10 & Moscow Oznick 55 €10.00 and tbp Moscow Oznick 10 €3.52

12f 0 to 65 race, Moscow Oznick runs off 60

Moscow Oznick won a CD 0 to 70 off 64 in Aug 2010, jockey was taking off 7lbs that day but Moscow Oznick has often ran well here, winning a 0 to 65 off 61 over the longer 14f trip a couple of months prior to that August run.

Risky one as has faded badly in the closing stages of the last 3 runs, last one could have been a case of needing a run, if firing can go close here.

In running lay placed too in case another prominent run peters out...

Moscow Oznick
    Ref: xxxxxxxxxx
    20 €25.00 €500.00
    Bet changed successfully from 'Cancel at In-Play' to 'Keep at In-Play'.

• Advertisement

2.40 Lingfield Ivory Silk 15 €5

Unplaced, I remain interested in this one though :pac:
    ............. 5.20 in W'ton Pilgrim Dancer .................
    ....10 at 5.9, nice drift

3rd
    6.20 W'ton If You Whisper 20 €6.00 & tbp 6 €0.32, 5.6 €2.10, 5.5 €1.58...............
    unplaced
    7.20 W'ton Moscow Oznick 40 €10 & Moscow Oznick 55 €10.00 and tbp Moscow Oznick 10 €3.52

Moscow Oznick
    Ref: xxxxxxxxxx
    20 €25.00 €500.00
    Bet changed successfully from 'Cancel at In-Play' to 'Keep at In-Play'.

Led for a while and in running bet was matched shortly after they left the stalls.

-€23.77 today

2.00 Southwell Carnac €10 at 5.4

At times it's hard to know what course and trip is ideal for a horse, I reckon the 14f suits Carnac but course wise I wasn't at al sure, defo seems to like the AW, a win, 5 2nds and 3 4th from 22 spins isn't too bad overall, not a wonderful strike rate of wins but place wise quite decent. Carnac has been a non runner twice in recent weeks at W'ton so caught my eye entered in this and hopefully running in it. Southwell form reads a win, 3 2nds and a 3rd from 11 runs. Focusing on 14f races here limits the history to two runs, resulting in that win and a 2nd.

The win was off 50 in a 0 to 55 and the 2nd was also off 50 in a 0 to 65, the fav was topweight that day and won at 5/2.

This is a poor race which shouldn't take much winning, I don't like the look of many of them, Decana appeals to an extent but that's about it other than Carnac, that considered anything over 3/1 I'd class as very decent value, Carnac isn't in too bad from these days and connections seemed to be waiting for this opportunity for 14f around here.

Fingers crossed.

Recent form is something I often ignore as it brings about price shrinkage if it's decent, Carnac was beaten the last time I backed him but than won next time out at 15/8 (I wasn't on as the price was too short)

Carnac then ran well again after that win and now tackles this 2 mile contest (2.00 Southwell) off 4 lbs higher than when winning over CD 2 runs ago, interestingly he's a very decent price :)

Carnac is a game horse and although this 0 to 70 is a classier affair than the recent CD win if on from can be trusted to put in a very gutsy performance, 2m races here often appear to be an awful ole slog and Carnace is up to the job :)

Carnac 12 €10 & tbp Carnac 3.3 €4.00

5.50 Kempton Plattsburgh 19.7 €5.00, €5 at SP and tbp Plattsburgh 5.74 €5.0

Decent 0 to 85 12f race and more than a few with chances, Plattsburgh wouldn't be an obvious contender but I rate his chances well up there with the rest.

Plattsburgh's only place on the AW was third here in a 7f maiden, that trip was insufficient but at least it shows Plattsburgh isn't unable to perform on the surface.

Recent CD exploits not too good, beaten 6l off 78 in a CD 0 to 85, however Plattsburgh was doing his best close home on that occasion and as 12f affairs can be all about the delivery I wouldn't at all right off his chances.

A very decent 2nd was achieved on turf in July in a 0 to 90 over the 12f trip and also Plattsburgh has won over the trip on turf, admittedly in a 0 to 75, still the price is far too big if things drop right, Plattsburgh is capable of taking this I reckon.

Carnac 12 €10 & tbp Carnac 3.3 €4.00
    5.50 Kempton Plattsburgh 19.7 €5.00, €5 at SP and tbp Plattsburgh 5.74 €5.0.....................

Both unplaced

-€29 today

2.45 lingfield wilFred pickles 15 at 9.6 to win
    On mobile so not saying much, I think this one can perform off this mark, July CD form in a stakes race showed this yoke running well amongst better animals, back over the mile here the price seems too big, the likes of lockantanks has it to prove off the weight and the price is too skinny
    .... and 5 at 2.9 tbp

4.40 W'ton Dorback 2.96 €4 tbp and to win Dorback 8.4 €10.00

Classy horse on turf and a course and distance win lto brings Dorback up to a mark of 81, which is still less than the 94 raced off as a two year old.

Dorback is a win and two seconds form four AW appearances and racing off 81 is fairly treated, with conditions suiting a decent run should be enough for Dorback to take this.

6.40 W'ton Justcallmehandsome 12.5 €9.00 and tbp 3.95 €4.0

I've nothing against backing veterans and this one has gone in recently, back up to 65 which on the face of it is a tall order these days but back in October Justcallmehandsome racing off 61 in a 0 to 75 ran well without being placed, most of those who finished ahead are too good for this race.

Same story last time out off 65 in a 0 to 75 so at the price has a decent chance in this weaker race :)

7.10 W'ton Barachiel 18 €5.0

This one is a bit too fat at the prices, the 14f 2nd to the very decent (compared to these) Prior's Gold shows that the mark of 65 may well not be beyond this one. I do like Honourable Knight but the price is toooooooooooo tight.

2.45 lingfield wilFred pickles 15 at 9.6 to win............... and 5 at 2.9 tbp
    3rd
    4.40 W'ton Dorback 2.96 €4 tbp and to win Dorback 8.4 €10.00..........
    unplaced
    6.40 W'ton Justcallmehandsome 12.5 €9.00 and tbp 3.95 €4.0.........
    unplaced
    7.10 W'ton Barachiel 18 €5.0

unplaced

-€37.98 today

• Advertisement

2.15 Lingfield Even Bolder 8 €15

This one is getting on a bit but 2011 has shown lots of good efforts, in March Even Bolder was beaten only 1/2l over CD off 73 in a 0 to 75, there has been similar efforts too, and ones not so good.

A repeat of the good efforts would win this.

Advertisement