Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar grant effectively not available to average homeowner?

• 19-06-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    I've been making enquiries with different solar companies recently to get prices to install adequate evacuated tubes to heat a 250L dual coil cylinder. I'll also be upgrading my boiler and controls and installing 50mm internal insulation on the walls but doing the insulation myself. I've been told that there is a €800 grant available for the solar. However one solar company informed me of the following,

"The SEAI have closed down the old greener homes scheme and opened a new one
    called Better Energy Homes , however , to receive the grant (now reduced to
    800 euro) the system must comply to part L of the building regs (10kwh/yr/m
    of house) I can tell you now that this is not achievable unless you over
    size the panels and increase your storage to 450 to 500 litres! In other
    words they've pulled the grant.
    With this said some people aren't bothered in applying and others are in the
    hope that the system might get passed (you also require a BER Cert after
    work is completed."

Is this true?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi RTT
    I think you got it in 1, you do get €80 grant also for the BER.
    There were a lot of solar companies out there relying on the grant work but now that this has all but gone these companies will start closing down slowly.
    In order to be sure of getting the grant you would need to get a BER done before and after the system is fitted.

Cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

It is a bit more nuanced than that. The grant now requires that the system must produce 10KwHrs per SqM of floor space, and for most normal semi-D houses that isn't a problem.

However, it is compounded by the fact that SEAI insists that the 10Kw Hrs is calculated using their DEAP software, and this is fundamentally flawed in some respects where solar is concerned. For example, it ignores the IAM factor that applies to most popular vacuum flask systems (see here).

For larger houses, it gets complicated because the DEAP software makes assumptions about the amount of hot water used, and this doesn't increase pro-rata with floor space, so the larger the house, the trickier it is to meet part L. There are work-arounds, and in a minority of cases, it will reach the point that the grant isn't worthwhile, but this is in a minority of cases, particularly for very large houses where only a modest system is needed by the household.

I would say shop around, and look for a supplier who can meet your needs under the DEAP software, but be careful. SEAI will be the ultimate arbitrator of whether you are entitled to the grant or not..

Advertisement