Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VGA to component RGBHV

• 19-06-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I want to connect my laptop's VGA port to my tv but it only has component with 5 plugs (rgbhv i think) and hdmi inputs.

If i go down the component route, i'd like something like this
    123461b.jpg
    but as far as I can tell, my TV needs RCA plugs not the BNC ones in the picture. Am I likely to be wrong about the TV needing RCA (i haven't used comonent on it before and i haven't looked at the back in a while)

As for HDMI, would this cable work?
    This HDMI to VGA (Male) connects your HDMI device, HDTV (Not from laptop or computer) to your monitor. The HDMI-equipped devices include high-definition DVD player, HDTV receiver, projector and Video receiver

Important Note:

If you are buying this cable to connect your computer to HDMI TV you will need a converter and this is just a cable which does not include a converter.
    getimageaspxe.jpg

My laptop has onboard video and only has vga and s-video (I don't want top use this as the quality is awful!) out so i'm guessing its analogue VGA rather than a digital signal. Is there a way i can check for sure?

Video GraphicsIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100Video MemoryUp to 384 MB
    Other than that, is there any other way I can connect the laptop up to the TV?

Also, where can I get a cheap 3.5mm to 3.5mm or 3.5 to RCA cable around 5 meters long?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Very rare these days to see a domestic TV with RGB+HV. Usually the domain of studio equipment. Can you give the model number of the set you're trying to connect to ?

I'm guessing that your TV set has Component inputs whose conectors are coloured Red/Green/Blue plus it may have a further 2 connectors Red/White for audio input.

Another issue you will have is that VGA uses sync frequencies that would be too high for a domestic TV set > 32KHz depending on the resolution it's set to. Some TVs have a dedicated VGA connector to allow just what you're trying but obviously your set doesn't have this ?

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

ZENER wrote: »
    Very rare these days to see a domestic TV with RGB+HV. Usually the domain of studio equipment. Can you give the model number of the set you're trying to connect to ?

I'm guessing that your TV set has Component inputs whose conectors are coloured Red/Green/Blue plus it may have a further 2 connectors Red/White for audio input.

Another issue you will have is that VGA uses sync frequencies that would be too high for a domestic TV set > 32KHz depending on the resolution it's set to. Some TVs have a dedicated VGA connector to allow just what you're trying but obviously your set doesn't have this ?

Ken

Its a Philips 37PF9641D/10

I dug out the book to check that and had a read of it at the same time -

It does take RGBHV but the same connectors can also handle YPbPr so a standard componrnt lead should do!

Is says it supports the following PC monitor modes:

VGA 640 x 480
    SVGA 800 x 600
    XGA 1024 x 768

none of which are wide! Depending on how I connect, (YPbPr or RGBHV) can i getr higher than this?

My laptop has a 1280 x 800 screen, but i can switch the resolution to 1280 x 720. If I'm not mistaken, PC output is progressive rather than interlaced too so that means my laptop can output 720p. Which should be fine on my TV. It also has a TV Wizard so i think i can change the refresh rate to 50 Hz.

Should all this work out ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is says it supports the following PC monitor modes:

VGA 640 x 480
    SVGA 800 x 600
    XGA 1024 x 768

none of which are wide! Depending on how I connect, (YPbPr or RGBHV) can i getr higher than this?

My laptop has a 1280 x 800 screen, but i can switch the resolution to 1280 x 720. If I'm not mistaken, PC output is progressive rather that interlaced too so that means my laptop can output 720p. Which should be fine on my TV. It also has a TV Wizard so i think i can change the refeesh rate to 50 Hz.

Should all this work out ok?

First of all your PC outputs RGB plus sync. Your TV accepts (according to the link) Component plus sync which is an odd combination. Normally Component contains the sync pulses on the 'Y' signal. Component is not the same as RGB despite the color of the connectors ! So not really sure where the TV takes a PC input even though it claims to support certain PC resolutions albeit fairly basic ones.

What I don't understand is that the TV manual you linked to says:
    Other connections: Analog audio Left/Right out,
    PC-In VGA, S/PDIF in (coaxial), S/PDIF out (coaxial), Common Interface

But I don't see a VGA socket on the back panel. Is there one hidden elsewhere on the set ? At the side maybe ? Or perhaps this isn'y the correct manual for your TV :confused:

Ken

Invincible wrote: »

Unfortunately not as the TV doesn't have a VGA connection. If I do find a compatible cable I would like one with the sound included on the one cable. It needs to be 3.5mm on the pc (VGA) end but cam be 3.5mm or 2xRCA on the other side

• Advertisement

First of all your PC outputs RGB plus sync. Your TV accepts (according to the link) Component plus sync which is an odd combination. Normally Component contains the sync pulses on the 'Y' signal. Component is not the same as RGB despite the color of the connectors ! So not really sure where the TV takes a PC input even though it claims to support certain PC resolutions albeit fairly basic ones.

What I don't understand is that the TV manual you linked to says:

But I don't see a VGA socket on the back panel. Is there one hidden elsewhere on the set ? At the side maybe ? Or perhaps this isn'y the correct manual for your TV :confused:

Ken

I think it means that it can accept a VGA signal but over either RGBHV

If you look at a VGA pinout you can see that they are electrically the same

vga_pinout.jpg
    However, it accepts only limited VGA resolutions...

My question now is if i ignored what i know about connecting via VGA to RGBHV and bought a standard VGA to three RCA cable which (presumably) outputs standard YPbPr component and switched my laptop to 1280x720 would it still work as a normal 720p .

First of all your PC outputs RGB plus sync.
    Your TV accepts (according to the link) Component plus sync which is an odd combination.
    Ken

From my reading of the paper manual the TV accepts either RGB+HV or YPbPr ('normal' component) on EXT3 using either 5 or 3 RCA plugs respectively and the sound over a 3.5mm cable sililar to how a SCART connector can carry RGB, S-Video or composite using the same connection on the TV.

Actually you can forget the question I asked in my previous post - for some reason I thought that vga to YPbPR cables were common but i googled a bit and apparently they're not though. What I've seen were RGBHV cables as component only means that i t has seperate wires...

The only solution I can see at the moment is getting a rgbhv cable and setting a custom aspect ratio in VLC to try and balance out the stretching when playing videos (http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51147&p=166174) and to put up with the skewed aspect ratio for browsing.

Time to break out the maths tables and protractor to work out the aspect ratio needed haha

Advertisement