Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not another newbie thread!

• 19-06-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking at halving the amount of wheels I currently travel to work on, but not sure where to start. Have a full Irish B License for last 6 years, so I know I need to apply for a prov. A to ride. From there can I simply buy a bike that's within the power constraints for learners and off I go? The IBT training is now compulsory I gather so I will be taking lessons and applying for the test ASAP. Would love some pointers as to the best route to take.
    So far this is what I know I need:
    • License
    • PPE
    • Insurance
    • Umm, bike
    I'm 26 and have a clean insurance record on the car since I started (7 years). Got a quote on a 125 from Quinn @ about €700 which seemed reasonable enough for my first and only quote.
    A few other Q's though:

Is it better to buy a small engined (>125) bike or a larger but learner legal (restricted) one. Will probably use the bike for more than just commuting so I want to cover all bases. Is a 125 cruiser a good idea as a 1st bike? Have heard they are harder to control in tight traffic but sports bikes are no good for the long haul.

Are the 16hrs training compulsory before you can take the 'A' test?

I will add more as I think of it, I don't really want to choose a bike until I know what I'm getting into. Any info would be a great help

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Hi there!

welcome firstly :) im new to biking too so i probly wont be the bestest help :)

you have to do theory test to get your prov and 16hrs ibt (yep compulsory) then you are legal to drive your bike.

its up to you on the size, think if you get a 125 and do your test you cant go bigger, need 250+, am i right lads?

your car insurance has no impact on your bike insurance, you start from scratch unfortunately.

got my first bike few weeks ago and its a 600 so dont be thinking you have to start with 125 or 250.

just need to organise yourself and you'll be out on the road soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

areu4real? wrote: »
    Is it better to buy a small engined (>125) bike or a larger but learner legal (restricted) one. Will probably use the bike for more than just commuting so I want to cover all bases. Is a 125 cruiser a good idea as a 1st bike? Have heard they are harder to control in tight traffic but sports bikes are no good for the long haul.

I would recomend a larger (retricted) bike.
    Nothing wrong with a 125, but they won't be any fun on a Sunday spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm you ... from the future :D

I was 26 and a novice biker with lots of cage experience when I got my restricted bandit 600. I got insurance from AON for €600 iirc. It was on the basis that I passed a 'grade 2' ROSPA assessment. I got the training and assessment, which was effectively the equivalent of IBT. The training I got was more than enough to pass the test, which I did after 7 months of riding. At that stage, I had replaced the bandit with a restricted GSX1400.

The question you should be asking is what difference getting a grade 2 will make to getting insurance. I reckon whoever you do your IBT with might probably throw in the grade 2 FOC. If you want to make yourself useful, you could find that out from a trainer and report back for the benefit of your fellow noobs.

The biggest question for you to consider at this stage is what bikes you actually like.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

Cheers for the info folks. On the advice here, have decided to go for a slightly bigger cc but still learner legal bike. Probably an old tank that's been looked after, like a Bros. Perfect for the purpose and if I drop it then it's not the end of the world.
    Have been told that getting a British license and swapping it for an Irish one can help with insurance. Not taking this option but others might be interested. Waiting on a reply from the RSA as to whether I need to resit the theory test or will the car one cover that part of the application. Garda Station or Citizens Information couldn't tell me. maameeo, did you have a full B license? I just said I'd check, save myself the hassle of that test if i can (yep, I'm lazy :P )
    cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm you ... from the future:D

I had a DeLorean and traded it for a motorbike?
    I always knew I was an idiot! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'll need theory test, it's different for bikes and regardless they are only valid for 5 years.

Stay away from Bros, too many couriered hacks for a new rider to dig through to find a half decent t one for resonable money. Plenty of Bandits or similar which can be got factory restricted or about 200 to restrict.

Getting a UK licence involves fraud for an Irish resident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

If you have any friends into biking have them come with you to look at the bikes you pick out, cb400 is a great restricted bike, the hornet, fazer, bandits all very similar bikes each have there own quirks there should be a restricted one for sale somewhere, but if your not afraid to get your hands dirty you should be able to manage no matter what they throw at you. when your going to buy the bike if your going alone post up asking for advice, and specify what bike your looking at, will be able to give you a list of things to look at and to make sure of, like making sure the bike is cold before it's started so how to check forks and stuff.

Just a quick update from the RSA. I asked the question about the theory test and this the official reply

A Theory Test cert issued prior to 21st October 2006 in respect of the category B (car) entitles applicants to apply for first Learner permit in respect of the categories A, A1, M and W also, provided that the theory cert was presented to the Motor Tax Office within two years of the date of issue and you have kept your car licence in date.

Might be useful for others

Got my provisional A :D
    So what to do next?

Bike, IBT

or

IBT, Bike

Any tips on the best way about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

never done the IBT, but i think i would do it first so you have a clear budget for you bike and gear, as far as i know the schools provide you everything you need for the course.

I know what you mean about budget but I was thinking it costs at least an extra €100 to use their gear. Do insurance companies ask for the IBT logbook?

• Advertisement
Advertisement