Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships Road CLosed

• 19-06-2011 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a map showing which roads are closed and the times for the tall Ships

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

suirfire wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a map showing which roads are closed and the times for the tall Ships

Cheers.

If you log onto Tall Ship Website I think they give a map showing the road closed. It has been extended this year.

http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/discover-waterford/getting-there/parking-access-during-the-tall-ships-races/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

With Newrath road being closed its a pain for me to get to work now as ill have to go out onto the old Dublin road or over towards the New Ross road to get onto the bypass now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Stokolan wrote: »
    With Newrath road being closed its a pain for me to get to work now as ill have to go out onto the old Dublin road or over towards the New Ross road to get onto the bypass now :(
    tell me about it boy i work over in dunkitt meself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Heard a guy that works for Bus Eireann say that the dual carriageway in ferrybank and the bridge will be closed and the buses will have to go from the garage in ferrybank, up through Slieverue, down the motorway and over the tollbridge and then into town to ballybricken because according to him the bus station is going to be closed and all buses will be leaving from ballybricken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

sure they are letting taxis thru why not buses? seems their little stunt to "encourage" people to use the park n ride fields has backfired seen the toll company rightfully told them where to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Hoffmans wrote: »
    sure they are letting taxis thru why not buses? seems their little stunt to "encourage" people to use the park n ride fields has backfired seen the toll company rightfully told them where to go...

They are closing the bus station. This does not imply preferential treatment for taxis.

I imagine trying to park in the bus station would be mental for the bus drivers, given all the people that will be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

The last time it was here, the buses all left from The Glen as well. No major issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

Did the man say.? Waterford >> wexford via garage via slieverue via newrath via toll via cleaboy via glen via cleaboy via toll on to n25 >>>
    is the council giving them free diesel or what.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Heard a guy that works for Bus Eireann say that the dual carriageway in ferrybank and the bridge will be closed and the buses will have to go from the garage in ferrybank, up through Slieverue, down the motorway and over the tollbridge and then into town to ballybricken because according to him the bus station is going to be closed and all buses will be leaving from ballybricken.

That's the same as last time but they came over Rice bridge and the Glen was the new bus station.

More lightly the go from Slieverue to the Grannagh roundabout then in Sallypark and over Rice bridge.

I doubt the toll bridge is free for bus eireann!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

It's not free and apparently that's one of their big gripes. Bus Eireann couldn't get the toll company to agree to letting the buses through for free and there has been no concrete agreement between Bus Eireann and the drivers about who is now going to pay the tolls, it has been suggested it will come out of the pockets of the drivers.

There is now a sign up in the bus station with no other information aside from stating that the bus station will be closed for the duration of the tall ships visit and buses will be leaving from ballybricken.

Rapid Express will be leaving from SuperQuinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

The girlfriend has to grab a train to Dublin on the Friday of the Tall Ships which is going to be a pain. She can't drive to the station directly and she won't be able to get through the cordon to leave her car at my house and walk / get a taxi to the station. Just hoping there is someone sound on the cordon to leave her through.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

I'm taking the train on the Sunday up to Dublin, does this mean you won't be able to walk over the bridge to catch the train??

You'll be able to walk alright. The bridge is only closed to traffic. Walking is being encouraged by our good friends in the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Is cycling thru the cordon permitted?? Or does it depend on who you will meet at the cordon?? Usually at these type of events the vast majority of stewards are sound & use a bit of common sense... BUT there is always one who let's all the power go tho their head.

you could get a taxi they can drive over the bridge so its not really closed only to the general public who are being forced to leave their cars in a field at a cost of 10€ a go and if the predicted rain comes they will be towed in and out by tractors...lol

i suppose everyone knows who owns the park n ride fields,ya?

The last time, there wasn't any stewards on the Sally Park side anyways, they just had the road blocked so cars couldn't get through. I cycled past them no bothers.

Is cycling thru the cordon permitted?? Or does it depend on who you will meet at the cordon?? Usually at these type of events the vast majority of stewards are sound & use a bit of common sense... BUT there is always one who let's all the power go tho their head.

It'd be nuts if they didn't allow it. If you ban bikes you may as well ban prams and buggies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

dayshah wrote: »
    It'd be nuts if they didn't allow it. If you ban bikes you may as well ban prams and buggies.

I can see the headline in the Sun now :D

tallships press release

Park & Ride patrons are advised that while there will be dozens of buses serving each site, it will be necessary to walk back to the sites at peak times after the concerts and fireworks display each night as buses are not expected to run between 10.30pm and 12.30am. With this in mind, the routes have been kept as short as possible and will be well signed and lit to ensure public safety. If you feel the walk (ranging from 20-40 minutes depending on site you’re parked at) may not be comfortable for you then it is recommended that you attend the event earlier on one of the three days so that you can return to your car by bus.

a 40 minute walk in the pitch dark yet spending thousands wining and dining visiting dignitaries at the cost of a few extra buses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

tallships press release

Park & Ride patrons are advised that while there will be dozens of buses serving each site, it will be necessary to walk back to the sites at peak times after the concerts and fireworks display each night as buses are not expected to run between 10.30pm and 12.30am. With this in mind, the routes have been kept as short as possible and will be well signed and lit to ensure public safety. If you feel the walk (ranging from 20-40 minutes depending on site you’re parked at) may not be comfortable for you then it is recommended that you attend the event earlier on one of the three days so that you can return to your car by bus.

a 40 minute walk in the pitch dark yet spending thousands wining and dining visiting dignitaries at the cost of a few extra buses

That seems like very short sightedness on behalf of the organisers considering the fireworks and the concerts will will draw considerable concentrations of people.

Imagine you are parked in the new rath park and ride for the fireworks / concert and have been standing all evening would you want to walk al the way back there ? According to google maps thats a 50min walk (i presume for the average speed walker)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jambo wrote: »
    Imagine you are parked in the new rath park and ride for the fireworks / concert and have been standing all evening would you want to walk al the way back there ? According to google maps thats a 50min walk (i presume for the average speed walker)

4km, not that far for any able bodied person, having kids with you or the elderly is a different matter but any able bodied person can walk that no bother at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

More idiocy from the Waterford City Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Cabaal wrote: »
    4km, not that far for any able bodied person, having kids with you or the elderly is a different matter but any able bodied person can walk that no bother at all.

I know that more than anyone as I walk that route quite regullary.
    The point I was trying to make was think of all the parents with kids (and parents pushing prams) whom are going to see the fireworks (and they are probably the biggest group that the fireworks will pull in )

Probably just after spending the walking the quays that evening looking at the ships then some time holding a viewing spot for the fireworks on they quay the kids will imo be tired and irate by now , then top it off with a nice walk back to the car.

For myself and my visitors coming especially for the tall ships it makes it very hard considering all my elderly visitiors will have to stay at home each night for the fireworks as they will not be able for the walk.

It seems like the tall ships comittee / council are holding back certain important details till last (like the toll issue , the fact that its only forty something boats this time attending vs eighty something last time , and not as many of the larger vessels coming )

it is an ok walk for any general fit adult ok....
    but for kids,elderly,parents & buggies walkin these routes remember 1 of the park n rides is up top of carrickpherish behind the industrial eatste getting back there in the pitch dark would be a nightmare even for the ablebodied poor lighting and fair hills to negoitate...

for the sake of a few extra buses they are putting extra hardship on the people they are trying to reel in ,yet as i said no expense will be spared with the visiting councillers on their junkets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

for the sake of a few extra buses they are putting extra hardship on the people they are trying to reel in ,yet as i said no expense will be spared with the visiting councillers on their junkets

Tall Ships Waterford 2011 : An event organised by the elite for the benefit of the elite!

I'm not knocking the event but does anyone think that the road closures / cordon is slightly over the top? I live in Ferrybank & to get to work I will have to travel the long loop of driving out towards Slieverue to access the By Pass drive thru the Toll Bridge and follow the course of the ring road in it entirity to its termination near Tesco Ardkeen & drive back in the Dunmore Rd. A journey which normally takes 10/15mins is going to take double or triple that and cost me 3.60 per day & a lot more in petrol. I remain to be convinced that these measures are needed. It smacks of a awful lot of inconvience for a lot of people for what should be an easy event to plan & organise.

Similarly, but slightly off the point, the new "traffic measures" the WCC are implementing on the Quay at present is mind boggling! Right up there with those two unnecessary sets of traffic lights on Newtown Road. Building skinny islands so people can access may access the waterfront is all well & good but what do you see when you get there. Decaying buildings topped off with the Flour Mills monstrocity. From the Tower Hotel to the Bridge Hotel there are 5 sets of lights. It seems the one's @ the Clock Tower turn red every couple of mins. Ironically most people just walk accross the road whenever & wherever they want risking their lives.
    Added to this the illegal parking of cars in all areas so Mary or Jim can get to the bank/post office/the shop for a few mins w/o having to pay for parking. Idiocy!

I've no problem with closing the town to traffic, but I think it should be treated like a car-free day with free buses into town.

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying that the last time they were in town, the bridge was open to traffic early in the morning? (ie before 7.30ish)

Advertisement