Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIMM

Options
  • 19-06-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone out ther got accepted to BIMM. Whats the story with accomidation etc. Just found out the last day that i got accepted into the singwriting coarse and im trying to sort out a place to live! :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Forgive my ignorance; BIMM?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brendie123

S'all good, Its a new music school opening in Dublin. Its part of Dit. BIMM stands for Brighton Institute of Modern Music. The school is opening this Sept on Francis street! Heres a link www . Bimm. ie Its guna be really cool to go ther but its part of Dit so no campus. Just wondering what the crack is with accom??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Oh ok, I think I heard about that actually.

Well first off, congrats on getting your place, hope you like your course.

As for accommodation, my limited knowledge of Dublin streets tells me Francis Street is off Upper Kevin street somewhere. If I'm right, you shouldn't be too far from Griffith College. The accommodation there is nice, but be warned they are quite strict. A mate of mine was fined €200 for having a party:eek:. Another option is too look online for some accommodation somewhere private. There are loads of people out there who have places up for rent.

There is also Student Accommodation in Hueston Quarter beside Heuston Station. Combo of walk+LUAS should have you from one to the other in about 15/20 mins. From pics I have seen online, accom there is quite nice, but I haven't been inside it.

Hope that helps, and congrats again

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rhythm90

Hey Brendie 123, congrats on getting into BIMM! Got in myself to study drums and percussion! Very excited.

Pretty non plussed with the accomodation side of things myself (in the same boat!).. but if it's any help, Dublin 8 is where you should narrow your search down to... In around the area known as "The Coombe" and out to as far as Vincent's Hospital and Heuston Station... I know there are a lot of flats / apartment buildings on Cork st. which runs through D8, but it wouldnt necceseraly be the nicest / safest part of town...

Let me know how you go.. and congrats again on getting in! It's going to be an amazing experience! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DH90

Hey guys,

I'm about to do my assessment on saturday for Electric Guitar so hopefully I'll be joining you fine people!:P But I was just wondering, how your assessments actually went. For instance Rhythm90, what kind of level of playing would you be at, were there any slip ups, & was your piece complex (I'm definitely not here to compare myself as a musician, it's just that I want to know will I be ok for the audition- Just wondering how judgmental the people are there). & I'm quite interested to hear what you had to do for songwriting too Brendie123.

& it's great to hear that it's on Francis Street, a mate of mine lives there & I now realize what all that construction was about today!:P If you're looking to get there, go from Dame Street to Christ Church, walk towards Thomas Street & take your first left where you see the Tivoli Theatre! Sure check out google maps while you're at it! It'll be at the southern end of Francis Street. It's really not that dodgy though either. The Street with all the antique shops on it!

• Advertisement

Well for songwirting i had alot of preperation done! I printed all the lyrics to every song i could remember! Then i wrote out why and how i wrote each song. I also made up a cd of everything id recorded but in the end i didnt need any of it!ha! Apart from one tune on the cd. I just went in ther and played a few tunes and chatted to the guy about why i wanted to do music and what i want to do and then it was cool after that. It was a really nice exerience on my end of things anyways!

Congrats on the good news rhythm90!! Its good that therts something like this up because i dont know anyone else goin to this thing. Its guna be really cool being the first year in the place too!! Id say itll be an unreal set up in the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭OntheStrings

Hey guys, congrats for getting a place! I got one too :).. but I'm just wondering about what the points will be for this course.

Are the places we got secured if we got the minimum entry requirements? Or will we have to get points.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

I got my acceptance too for the Vocal course.. well chuffed :D

Well done guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Hey guys, congrats for getting a place! I got one too :).. but I'm just wondering about what the points will be for this course.

Are the places we got secured if we got the minimum entry requirements? Or will we have to get points.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

Pretty sure you've to get the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭OntheStrings

Pretty sure you've to get the points.

Any idea on how high the points will be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jefire

Hey! I have an audition next month... any idea how that goes along? I'm being auditioned on vocals. If anyone has had their audition already, could you tell me what its like?
    Thanks! ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I got an email saying letters would be sent after the leaving cert, which is over since Friday right?

I did the LC last year. No post arrived today so I dunno whats happening, do you only get a letter if you re accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Macano31

I got my acceptance too for the Vocal course.. well chuffed :D

Well done guys!

Hi
    I have a an audition (vocals) for this course next week. I see from the few posts that some have had their audition.
    I would love to get some advice on what to expect? In general and for vocals in particular?
    Are they looking for loads of experience or does passion and committment suffice? The course sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Fatgoogle

Got in as well, playing bass. Cant wait. Im also looking for a place, might just find a single bed somewhere. I was thinking rathmines area-ish as i know a lot of students live out that way.

Also for people still entering id say. Be confident when you go in and be able to talk well with your examiner. Make a good impression. Most of my audition was just me and the examiner chatting about music, bass's and influences. I played some scales, played a bit of a groove, did some listening and my piece. Its very comfortable.

Fatgoogle wrote: »
    Got in as well, playing bass. Cant wait. Im also looking for a place, might just find a single bed somewhere. I was thinking rathmines area-ish as i know a lot of students live out that way.

Also for people still entering id say. Be confident when you go in and be able to talk well with your examiner. Make a good impression. Most of my audition was just me and the examiner chatting about music, bass's and influences. I played some scales, played a bit of a groove, did some listening and my piece. Its very comfortable.

Hi,
    Thanks for the audition information, sounds fairly casual and relaxed. smile.gif

What I don't understand is how people are told they have a place when it is supposedly down to points and the CAO system?
    Or are you told you have passed the audition and then the top 100 will finally have places? I have just done my Leaving so won't know my points until the 17th of August.
    Thanks again for the post.

Well ive been told i have my place, and i have also have done my leaving cert. So im guessing they still have to work out the points.

But maybe its like ballyfermot where once you have youre place and presuming youll get 2 HC3's youll get your place.

Fatgoogle wrote: »
    Well ive been told i have my place, and i have also have done my leaving cert. So im guessing they still have to work out the points.

But maybe its like ballyfermot where once you have youre place and presuming youll get 2 HC3's youll get your place.[/QUOTE

Luckly you, hopefully I'll get in too. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 3 codya

Is anyone looking to share accomodation near BIMM? I've been looking at some 3 bed apartments near christchurch and Dublin 8 which would work out at 400 euro/Month each person- walking distance to Frances St and near enough to Temple Bar/City Centre.

You mean multiple musicians living together with all their gear. It could get nasty. :D

But yes im also looking for accomadation close to the college. What places have you been looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 codya

there are plenty places on rent.ie around dublin 8 area /christchurch/thomas st etc. three bed apartments look the best value and all have internet access and large living space. i can give you examples and you can look.

• Advertisement

Yea that would be great man. Id been looking 'round rathmines, harolds cross etc and hadnt even thought of christchurch or some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 HayleyOLeary

hi guys :) congrats on getting in guys!! :D got accepted into songwriting!
    I'm from wexford,anybody travelling up by bus/train or are you looking for accommodation straight away?
    Can't wait to start ! :P:D

Hey, yea im from Bunclody. In London at the mo though, so i will have to rush to find somewhere when i get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 colleenyx

@HayleyOLeary - my friend and I are coming from Gorey to bimm aswell for the singing course :) are you lookin for accomodation 1st or commuting back and forth at the start ? cant wait :)

@colleenyx oh great!! :) commuting first then try and find accommodation when i settle in and stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 colleenyx

@HayleyOLeary - yeah my parents want me to do the same - i wanna live up there though :/ What course you doing? Id be afraid we'd be constantly travelling though and later on in the year we wouldn't find accommodation:eek:

@colleenyx yeah me too! :/ don't worry though i'm sure it will work out ok!! :) i'm doing the songwriting course! :) you?

Hey guys, I've been told i've gotten into the songwriting coarse and i'm looking for people to share an apartment or house with, somewhere close to Francis street! Anyone on the same boat?

@Brendie123 hey :) are you wanting to get an apartment/house straight away or after a few months? :)

• Advertisement

Yo HayleyOLeary

I'm thinking of renting from september!!

Advertisement