Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next gen. - what would you buy?

Options
  • 19-06-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

[If you start a console war, I wouldn't be surprised if you get banned. It's easy to weigh up the pros and cons of different systems without coming across as a rabid fanboy. These are just opinions. Mr E will also be keeping an eye on this thread]

Simple question - next generation gaming, what system do you buy? Are you loyal to a gaming company, or would you jump ship in a heartbeat for a better deal? What's a deal breaker? What would convince you to leave Console Y and switch to Console Z?

Poll options will be; Playstation, Xbox, Wii U, PC. You can choose more than one option, so if you think you'll be buying more than one new console, tick all the applicable boxes :)

I had typed out some paragraphs, but it was just flamebait for console wars, so let's put this in a nice, easy format :) Please use this for any replies

What is your main gaming system?
    What would drive you away from it?
    What would entice you to buy a...?

Xbox 360.

Microsoftwould really need to pick up their game with a new Xbox. Certification is much too slow, patch limits are ridiculous, and this all just hampers creativity. They also need to let developers release as much free content as they want. Don't need to stick a price tag on everything. If they didn't carry over your profile and Achievements to a new console, I'd be very likely to switch to a new platform.

What would entice you to buy a PS4?

If Playstation hammered down proper Steam integration, I'd be very interested. Cross-game party chat is a MUST, at this stage. I've heard that when an arcade game gets a patch, you have to re-download the whole thing, so if that's true, they'd want to make it so that you can just apply the patch. Sony would need to really push arcade games, because I buy a lot on Xbox. I'd like to see a different currency system, rather than actual money. It's easier to look at 1200 Microsoft points than €15, and I somehow convince myself to feel less ripped off :pac:

What would entice you to buy a Wii U?
    Nothing, to be honest. Can't afford to be buying games for more than one console. This thing is... I think 1.5 times as powerful as an Xbox or PS3. To me, that doesn't scream next gen, and with a new Xbox and PS likely coming out within the next 3 years, it's just not worth the heavy investment. I also think it looks very gimmicky, like the original Wii and Kinect

What would entice you to buy a gaming PC?
    I would very nearly buy a gaming PC just for Valve games. You don't really see any other developer better supporting their games long-term, and the updates are always free. Plus, PC games are always cheaper than console. However, developers would need to stop this crap of not releasing DLC on PC.

What will you be buying? 105 votes

Playstation 4
    0% 0 votes
    Xbox
    40% 43 votes
    Wii U
    42% 45 votes
    PC
    16% 17 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll do what I do for every new console. I wait until there's a game on the system that makes it worth buying and then shell out for it. Getting a system at launch is stupid because the games trickle out and you end up buying a lot of mediocre games before the good ones eventually start coming out and at the moment you'll probably have to suffer through manufacturing problems as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll do what I do for every new console. I wait until there's a game on the system that makes it worth buying and then shell out for it. Getting a system at launch is stupid because the games trickle out and you end up buying a lot of mediocre games before the good ones eventually start coming out and at the moment you'll probably have to suffer through manufacturing problems as well.

Same, the only console in the last few generations I've bought at launch was the gamecube, a console would want to have an absolute killer app as a launch title for me to buy it early, I got my ps3 when Uncharted 2 came out, xbox in 2006 when stuff like hitman and dead rising were being released.

launch consoles are usually massively overpriced and undersupported with software, give it 6-12 months until the big games worth owning come out and then buy one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ill do what I always do and buy all of them as they come out. I will also be buying bigger shelves as i can currently only fit 8 of my 12 consoles under my TV in my office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Healium wrote: »
    What would entice you to buy a PS4?[/B]

Absolutely nothing. Their handling of recent events would prevent me from purchasing anything off them for a considerable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

fulltime - pc
    parttime - xbox
    less then parttime -ps3
    less less then part time psp
    Wii - sold.
    anather PC with tits and ability to make me tea everytime i ask. oh wait, i got misses, i guess nothing then :p.
    PS3 for me is a great media centre. i use it more for its ather feutures then actuoll gaming. amazing device if you dont look at it as only gaming platfrom. I am pc gamer so i love that powerhouse i can get. The only thing that ps4 can add to the table - more power. So having ps3 and gaming pc makes it useless in my case. Unless they will add tits and ability....
    Nothing! I had a bad experience with wii, only stupid jumps on same trick twice. New technology looks gimmicky again, something that will be fun for first 3 days, then you will just come back to your old stuff. I was newer fan of mario and zelda, so nintendo name does not make me jumping from joy, when anather rererererereremake comes out.
    Upgrade. My old girl is living its last days, so far 4 years of gaming and the only thing that gave it a run for its money was witcher 2. With more power hungry games coming out this year i will need new pc, like it or not.

What would entice you to buy a Xbox?
    lack of info. looks like xbox is really going that casual gamer way and putting all its eggs in to kinect basket. Not my cup of tea, but MS knows better if there is bigger market for that. E3 xbox conference looked like this: kinect kinect kinect kinect, heres some stuff that hc gamers would not moan, kineck kinect kinect.

In general: I was mostly pc gamer all my life, but i am sucker for gaming devices so i ussually buy any new gen console. 3ds was different story.
    Lately i was really in to xbox, as few lads from work and ather friends were playing xbox only. IT WAS FUN! I really had lots of fun, honestly. It all crashed when i realised few things: Me and my friends that play games together have busy lifes. work/misses/friends/usuall stuff adults doo ( banks/bills/shoping etc ). having same time window to play together became allmoust imposible. The ather part of friends and coworkers play only one game: black ops. It was fun to play with them for a bit, but ffs how can you play that everyday since release and still have fun?! i can bet if i log in to xbox i will see them play black ops.
    Pc was allways there for me. with things like skype and ventrilo it so easy to stay with friends even if you dont play games. Pc is not only gaming device, its your window to everything. For last 5 years i just turn on pc and turn on vent. even now i am typing this and having a wee chat with lads, while they play LoL.

To sum it up: there is no best platform anymore, there is only a platform where most of your friends are on. i allways suggest lads at work to try pc gaming, but they dont becouse all theyr friends are on xbox. fair enought.
    who knows, if all my friends that are on pc would be on ps3, i might say that i would be a full time ps3 player. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its all down to the games for me. I own the 3 main machines, but play more Xbox and Wii at the moment. I'd probably get an Xbox 720 (or whatever) and the Wii U. I'd let them bed down for a bit before buying though. Maybe give them 6 months to get some decent titles out.

For the new xbox console, integrated Kinect would be a bonus, along with some re-engineering so that you don't need a warehouse to be able to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

This for me too. I was one of the schmucks that went and paid €630 for a launch, well 3 weeks after launch, PS3. The launch games that I got weren't particularly great and the price of new ones put me off for a few months at least.

Won't be running out to buy any next gen straight away. Will wait at least a year or so for the inevitable game that tickles my fancy, or until the slim, half the price version of the console comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

PS3 - Got it a couple of months after launch. Have been very happy with it since buying it and never had any major (or minor really) issues. Love it

I suppose if there wasn't much of a step up between the ps3 and ps4 I would look in the XBox. I have always gone PS due to the exclusives like MGS, but since these days most games are multiplatform then I would consider looking at something else. But I prefer the PS controller!

What would entice you to buy an XBox?

Nothing springs to mind really. There's no real Xbox exclusives that have caught my eye. So unless they bring out a significant improvement over Sony's offereing I would probably stick with the PS

What would entice you to buy a PC?

I would love to be able to afford a gaming pc and keep it regularly updated, unfortunately it's not realistic for me at this time. Once I'm out of college with a steady full time job I would definitely switch to the PC for most of my gaming

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Playstation 3

Nothing, I use it to play games and watch films.

I will eventually buy all next gen consoles, but only when there is a game out that I really want.
    I'm not one for launch day purchasing - however I would if one of the launch titles was a game I wanted.

I could never get into PC gaming and can't see that ever changing.

My son however has two paperweights (PS3 and 360) ever since he took up PC gaming about a year ago.
    I think he fired up the PS3 once in the last few weeks to have a look at L.A. Noire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Games plain and simple.
    Doesn't matter what console it is and what media capabilities it has don't care if it cures cancer or what not all I'm looking for is kick ass games.

If I see a console filled to the brim with Activision or Ubisoft rubbish I'd avoid it, I demand games from top devs who are interested in putting out properly designed games and not churning out rubbish just to make a quick buck.

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    Games plain and simple.
    Doesn't matter what console it is and what media capabilities it has don't care if it cures cancer or what not all I'm looking for is kick ass games.

If I see a console filled to the brim with Activision or Ubisoft rubbish I'd avoid it, I demand games from top devs who are interested in putting out properly designed games and not churning out rubbish just to make a quick buck.

more and more games are multiplatforms. so next most important thing after games, would be where are all your friends on. you wount buy ps4, when all your friends stuck on xbox. unless you can afford bouth. consoles are not so expencive these days, so for someone who is working full time its not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

PS3

If they lose all their exclusive games and fail to improve on the social aspects of the console with cross game chat etc.

What would entice you to buy a xbox 720?
    If they brought out a bunch of new exclusives. Right now i see no reason to own both an xbox if you have a PS3 as they are more focused on dumb sh!t like kinect than supporting their 1st party studios so you aren't really getting anything new in terms of games. Im not really one for the arcade type games so that doesn't really interest me. And the whole xbox live intergrating with other mediums isn't really that interesting to me as I have my laptop setup beside me most of the time and use it for skype/movies/music etc. I will probably end up getting one when it drops in price tho.

Zelda... thats about it.

I was always a PC gamer until up to last year and i'd love to have a really sweet PC but its just too expensive and slightly anti social for me now (I'd get hooked on WoW/CS again etc). The PC in general has just been dying slowly imo, their are fewer exclusives every year and the one game that I may have bought a cheap PC for is looking like its coming out on PS3 aswel (Diablo III), even the witcher 2 is coming out on the 360 later this year so i'll just get it for that.

more and more games are multiplatforms. so next most important thing after games, would be where are all your friends on. you wount buy ps4, when all your friends stuck on xbox. unless you can afford bouth. consoles are not so expencive these days, so for someone who is working full time its not a problem.

Not everyone plays online tbh.

Magill wrote: »
    Not everyone plays online tbh.

thats why i said its second most important thing :rolleyes:

its actuolly funny, becouse you accused pc being very antysocial lol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He did mention WoW. That's gauranteed to turn you into a hermit.

He did mention WoW. That's gauranteed to turn you into a hermit.

What does hermit means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i clicked wii u but at this moment of time i choose neither, i dont care for online ,xcg or social features like facebook intergration , twitter or youtube thats why i have a pc for. if next gen consoles means just better graphics then i wont be picking up ps4 and i wont even touch a new xbox console again. so i be keeping a close eye on what nintendo have planned for their new console i be interested just what this wii u controller can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'll be taking a good long time before getting any of the consoles tbh. I'll probably be in the latter stages of my college career so I won't have half a grand to drop. At the moment my main console is the 360 but I've a few games for the PS3 which I haven't played as they're sequels to PS2 games. I've been buying a few PS2 games for silly money lately and just need to get my hands on a console. :pac: But yeah, I'll wait and see what comes out on what and buy in a preferred order more than likely a couple of years after the consoles are released. Brand loyalty isn't a factor for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Xbox 360 full time
    PC part time, mainly with closer friends

Why will you stick with these gaming platforms?
    XBL: Established online circle and hopefully decent backward compatibly with the 360. Paying the sub for the next MS console hopefully will cover both consoles so that would be a benefit for me. Party chat. Console exclusives I enjoy.

PC: I will keep my PC for internet and media purposes. Gaming is just a benefit.

Nothing will drive me away from my PC as I use it for several things more than gaming and it is my media centre. Upgrading it to a serious gaming centre I will have to evaluate every so often. Stricter DRM outside steam may drive me away from purchasing games as well as ridiculously high system requirements. Friends stop playing.

XBL: A higher set of costs; Kinect forced on games / advantages given to Kinect users; a bad controller; a severe decrease in customer support quality

Serious Gaming PC: Better controls over in game voice chat. Despite XBL's poor bandwidth allocation for VoIP, having control over ingame/party chat separate to game volume at the ease of a dial is awesome.
    Cheaper games.
    Good cross platforming with consoles.
    PC gaming community getting a good slap to help half of them cop on and not yell at everyone.

PS4: Competitive price; cross game chat; better integration and cross platforming with the PC; mod or user created content support in some games.

WiiU: Same as above.
    A decent traditional controller and not have to use gammy gimmicks, touch screens and motion controls.
    Metroid Prime Hunters multiplayer.
    No Nintendo BS.
    If failing the above, the ability to homebrew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

PC

Eeeeeeeh stop pc gaming all together? I dunno, losing the desire to play high end games, games stopped being released on it all together I guess.

Full mouse and KB support for all games released. And all my friends buying it. Naturally its games would be the main thing. I bought a ps3 for street fighter 4 and due to 4 friends of mine owning one too.

Price - its games and how innovative they are.

What would entice you to buy an XBOX 3.0 aka 720?
    Free internet use as it should be. The games and whether or not my mates buy it - full kb mouse support for all games and its price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It'll be Xbox for the social aspect of voice chat out of games which none of the others can do as far as I know due to a patent on it by microsoft.

thats why i said its second most important thing :rolleyes:

its actuolly funny, becouse you accused pc being very antysocial lol :D

Aye, but its not the second most important thing if you don't play online :rolleyes:

And yeah... as retrogaymer said... WoW is a completely different beast compared to playing CoD/BF etc on console :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Xbox

a high spec pc but even at that i like playing local multiplayer

Nothing I have a PS3 and meh! good media player but other than that its used for emulators

Nothing It seems like a have step into next gen which is a dangerous move

What would entice you to buy a PC?
    Battlefield 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

PS3

Online costs without a vast improvement and if for some strange reason all of Sony's first party studios disbanded.

What would entice you to buy a Xbox720?
    Made the mistake of buying a 360 3 years ago, other than using it to play the odd game i get a lend off from a friend and Mass Effect (which is MP now), it lies unused. With the road MS are heading donw with Kinect i don't think it likely i'll be buying a console off them again.

Couldn't care less about the Ipad like thing, but if Nintendo invested heavily in coming up with some top class NEW IPs (Rehashes of Mario/Zelda don't cut it for me) then i could see myself taking the plunge.

What would entice you to buy a PS3?
    Currently in first place for my cash when the "next gen" arrives, launch with a strong line up of first party titles and i'm there!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pc. I've always been a pc gamer, and spend way more time playing it then any of the consoles (i have them all). I enjoy the consoles, but there's just a better selection of the games that i like to play on the pc.

Absolutely nothing. There are things that annoy me, but i blame that more on the gamer market then on the pc. I always see myself having a pc. And to anyone who claims the pc is dying...
    happilydyingsince1985.png

What would entice you to buy an XBox720/PS4/WII U?
    The games. As long as there are some good platform exclusives, i'll probably end up getting them all. I'd say i'm 50/50 on the Wii U, but as soon as i see a new Mario/Zelda game, i'll cave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Liam O wrote: »
    It'll be Xbox for the social aspect of voice chat out of games which none of the others can do as far as I know due to a patent on it by microsoft.

You must have never used steam :D

Next gen I would probably go with another gaming PC due to the fact that PC gaming is cheaper, games look better, pc + mouse controls are better and I own a crapload of games on steam :D

I would buy a wiiU though just for zelda in HD :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

probably wont get any unless theres a game i really want for one, even then I dunno, its a lot of money. kinda set in my ways now as far as games are concerned :p

To the op:

Back compatibility. Proper back compatibility that works flawlessly would be a BIG factor for me, because otherwise it's too easy to build up a massive collection of consoles there's no space for.

Also, a focus on hardcore games and not pandering to the current motion control fad. I like my games to be serious, with other serious players, and involve me being parked on my arse with a control pad, thinking tactics, instead of jumping around the room like an eejit. I'll get my exercise elsewhere thanks.

Apart from that, social features, friend management, properly architected network infrastructure for multiplayer, and proper interfaces for the systems menus are all important to me in a system, as well as stuff like what systems are my friends on, what the most popular types of games on a platform are, and how advanced game studios seem to be able to push the technology when theyre developing games for it.

EDIT: Stable, reliable hardware would be good too. Have had my fair share of RRODs from the xbox, and shipping it to germany for microshaft to take 2 weeks to fix it each time is a real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

PC

Bar wild horses, nothing!

What would entice you to buy a...PS4

Have always owned a playstation since 1996 so very little will be needed to get me to buy a PS4. Have no interest in motion control, so as long as theres promise of a steady supply of good titles, Ill be onboard.

New Xbox -
    Would never say never. Im not really into online gaming on console so the glory of xbox live is lost on me. Unless they do something very unique and game changing to Sony, I wouldnt bother. A solid, stable, quality piece of hardware would sweeten the deal more too

Wii U -

Nothing would get me to buy this. Me and Nintendo are on opposite ends of the spectrum. The gimmicks just dont interest me, (which is why I never bother with Wii)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Xbox 360 - personally prefer the controller and XBL

Lack of new games I want to play.

~3 exclusive games I want to play. That might take 3-4 years after launch. I still use the PS3 all the time but it's to play videos.

Whenever they bring out a new Zelda. It's my favourite franchise and I'd buy the console just to play it. It's the only thing that's a Day-1 Purchase for me.

I don't think I'll ever buy a gaming PC. I guess if ALL Xbox 360/720 games came out at the same time on PC, and were fully supported, I'd definitely consider buying a gaming PC over a 360/720. But with Consoles ATM, you get all the cross-platform games and also exclusives available w/ all the DLC from when they launch.

Advertisement