Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what toppings do you put on homemade burgers??

Options
  • 19-06-2011 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭

as im doin some today id be interesting to know what combo's others use , be it on frozen big al type burgers,or home made ones,

im making my own with just seasoned steak mince, going to use quater pounder buns and double up on the burger..

so here's mine today. (lightly toasted burger buns)

base bun ,burger mayo from marks n sparks (yum),topped with chopped onion,
    then 1st burger placed on top.

dollop of mayo on top of that burger and chopped cooked rasher on top of the mayo.

second burger goes on top of that with a slice of cheese,some chopped lettuce on top of the cheese and some coleslaw on top of the lettuce,then the burger bun crown and voilla..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

It's all about the bacon. Then cheese that mofo up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chillis peppers and the likes with ballymaloe relish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Oh forgot to mention I replace the bun with a wholemeal portal. If your using just meat do you not find the burger falls apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ted1 wrote: »
    Oh forgot to mention I replace the bun with a wholemeal portal. If your using just meat do you not find the burger falls apart.

na man, knead it through your fingers till smooth, cook on a baking tray in oven or grill,add an raw egg through the meat mix if ya like to help,i dont and mine stay firm but juicy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ideally, cheese (processed stuff - can't beat it on a burger!), ketchup, coleslaw, tomato, lettuce and fried onions. Maybe a bit of mustard. YUM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Gherkins, raw onions, cheddar & tomato ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Bun, Mayo, Mustard, easy single, burger, Reggae Reggae sauce, ketchup, bit of homemade chili jam and the bun top. Buns must be lightly toasted or its just not the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Lettuce, finely chopped red onion, cheese and OMFG some of this

http://www.foodireland.com/images/sauces/581106.gif

deliciousness instead of ketchup.

Oh Lordy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Gherkins, raw onions, cheddar & tomato ketchup.

Add mustard instead of ketchup and you're in heaven...

Also... no bun :( buns are evil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Bun, mayo, lettuce, burger, slice of processed cheese, sliced raw tomato, slices of raw onion, tomato relish or ketchup, and top bun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bun. Mayo, burger, Pineapple ring, crispy rashers, iceberg lettuce. Bun
    Bun, Special sauce, fine dice sweet onion,ketchup, burger, cheese, sliced gherkin, Bun

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

Option 1
    Fired onions & mushrooms, processed cheese & home made salsa, oh and Mayo (or sour cream). All in Bun
    Option 2
    This sounds weird but its gorgeous, fried egg, beetroot, onion rings and processed cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

On bouef, plastic cheese (it's a MUST) gerkins, tomatoes, mayo etc.
    On chicken, I usually cover it in harissa paste first - goes SO well with guacamole. Or even just sliced avocado.
    On lamb, goats cheese and red onion marmalade (very easy to make yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

If you want to make an amazing home made burger you want to put the chopped onions and cheese INTO the actual burger meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Oh, and the bun makes the burger IMO. I cannot stand Bundys - sugary sweet ick. A nice crusty bun FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

When I'm making the burgers I chop up some onion and mixed it into the mince meat then I make the burger when it's cooked I like using gherkins, cheese, mustard, red onion, and whatever burger sauce I have :) I might make it using coleslaw. That's my standard beef burger.

For chicken fillet I love getting a nice thick piece with lettuce, mayo, a hash brown in a nice toasted bun :) Kinda like the ones from KFC :D

I love making burgers from scratch :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I fry some onions & mushrooms and mix it into the mince with some worcester sauce, egg white & seasoning to create the burger. Then I fry some onions, chopped bacon and a fried egg for toppings and add some cheddar cheese and ketchup. YUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm a bit of a cheese burger purist. Small simple bap more warmed than toatsed is best I think - I don't like being over-whelmed by bread at the expense of the filling.

Nice thin butchers minced steak (must be minced steak) burger formed in the hand and thrown straight onto a hot pan.

When I cook the mince I absolutely never squeeze it with the spatula (yeah, yeah, 'fish slice' whatever ;)) because that just drives out the meaty juices and leaves you with a dry biscuit of meat. I keep the turning to a minimum so as not to disturb the meat. This is especially important when using minced steak as the meat is lean.

Meanwhile, I remove the bun from the toaster and put some grated cheese on the bottom part placing the hot burger meat on it to soften it for a few seconds, then I lift the burger and place some iceberg lettuce on top of the softened cheese and replace the meat.

With the top part I put a dollop of relish on the bun and sprinkle some finely chopped red onion on the relish and then place it on top of the meat to complete the ritual

I then sit down take a deep breath, bite into the marriage of flavours and texture, and let out a big sigh of comfort as I exalt in a taste explosion on the tongue.

Oh sweet Moses...

http://konkiki.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/lordofthefiles_homer-drool.gif%3Fw%3D316%26h%3D318

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Jalapenos baby!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

My favourite for doing burgers is the following:

Cut up half an onion and put it on extremely low heat for half an hour to carmalise onions. Add a tiny bit of honey towards the end to sweeten the onion even further. ( I usually do this way before I cook and just add the onions to the burger pan very quickly to heat them up)

Take a half pound of steak mince and split in two. Gently shape both pieces into a patty. Have your burger pan on a half ring of heat (sorry I'm terrible with gas settings) and allow burger to cook for about 15 mins or so turning half way through finishing off on a high heat the last minute with some cheese added so that it melts.

As the burger is cooking I slice up some really thin gherkin, some tomato which I cook for a minute as the meat is finished off. The pan I used for the onions is cleaned quickly before I throw my burger buns on covered in butter to get them nice and greasy. Once it's all ready I bring everything together and enjoy one hell of a burger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chuck, that was beautifully put.
    Your passion for the burger and your evocative,concise descriptions has my mouth watering!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Cheese, coleslaw, ketchup.

Mozzarella and pesto is nice too sometimes for a change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

With homemade burgers I don't like to double up. Make them good and thick instead, especially if you're using good mince they'll stay nice and juicy. They're not like the crappy patties you buy which are too dried out to need sauce or something in the middle.

For filling I keep it classic and simple. Bottom bun -> iceburg lettuce -> mayo -> thick tomatoe slices -> meat -> cheese -> ketchup -> top bun

I love a good thick slices of cheddar on it, so I actually put them on the burger a minute or two before taking them out of the pan to get them good and soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

My favourite topping is another burger or sometimes if im feeling healthy its a chicken breast

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

An unholy amount of hot mustard and alot of pickles along with a ridiculous amount of freshly ground black pepper. (gherkins?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A table spoon of wholegrain mustard for each lb of mince in the mix works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

homemade burger made from minced steak, chopped onion, herbs, and bind with an egg.

Buns would be floury bap type rather than bundys, lightly toasted for texture more than anything else.

Toppings would be plain and simple, I find too many flavours overlap!
    Lettuce, usually butterhead rather than iceberg, on the underside with a good big dollop of hellmans mayo and an onion ring or two on top of it. then the burger with cheese, (usually dubliner) melted onto it, another onion ring, tomato ketchup and top with second bun.

Mouth is watherin now....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

For a Hawaiian burger - cheese slice, grilled pineapple ring and lots of thousand islands dressing. Especially nice if you BBQ the pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I make homemade pork burgers, with onions, garlic, coriander and sweet chilli sauce.

Floury baps FTW over bundys and in aldi you can get little mini baps and make bite size meatball/burgers if you feel so inclined.

For topping, I make a salsa with avocado, cucumber, yellow and red peppers, onion, mango, garlic, fresh coriander, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice. I also like a squirt of Branston red pepper and tomato relish.

A few sweet potatoe wedges on the side (homemade in the oven, olive oil & salt and pepper)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Put a thin slice of cheese on top and stick it in the grille until it melts. Top it off with some burger sauce and a big glass of coca cola, result = heaven :D

Advertisement