Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin: 1961 & 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Great post fontanalis - thanks for sharing.

A question though, if anyone can answer it?

There's plenty of Red and White flags in the pics (on O'Connell Bridge, on Cassidy's shop, beside the "Players' Please" sign at the end of O'Connell Bridge), does anyone know what they're all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Great post fontanalis - thanks for sharing.

A question though, if anyone can answer it?

There's plenty of Red and White flags in the pics (on O'Connell Bridge, on Cassidy's shop, beside the "Players' Please" sign at the end of O'Connell Bridge), does anyone know what they're all about?

I just answered my own question - it appears that there was a State visit by Prince Rainier and Princess Grace of Monaco.

Here's the flag that you can see in some of the pics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Monaco

Here's an RTE archive story of the visit:

http://www.rte.ie/laweb/ll/ll_t01a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Great link OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Great pictures aren't they. I found the site on the propertypin.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

How come the water levels in the 60s was much higher than it is now on the liffey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Was looking at those pics earlier on this morning. Found the website via an article in the indo. I think the place looked much better back then than it does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Trevor451 wrote: »
    How come the water levels in the 60s was much higher than it is now on the liffey?
    that would be the tide. Great post op, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Get rid of the trees in College Green and at Christ Church is the message coming from those pictures.

Not all trees are good.

Also wasn't there a hell of a lot of smoking advertising in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭orionm_73

The HMV building on Grafton st. replaced a really stunning old redbrick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

orionm_73 wrote: »
    The HMV building on Grafton st. replaced a really stunning old redbrick one.

Couldn't help but think that too. It was one of the nicest buildings in the lot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

And here's the Boardsie responsible for it with his thread on the matter

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295152

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Theres loads more trees in 2011 then in 1961. the 4th or 5th pic down looking over the liffey has a scrawny little tree in 1961 but 2 big ones on 2011. Also college green at the grattan statue no trees in 61 but 4 in 2011. The flower beds down the middle of oconnell bridge look better in 61 the the modern giant flower pots. but with the type of locals we have today those flowers probably wouldnt even last a night never mind bloom. The original hmv building looked a lot better as did the elverys buidling on Dawson street. Irish planners havent changed over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Great website and a great collection of photo's. It's amazing to see how things have and haven't changed.

One thing I noticed, the picture of the corner of Dawson street and Nassau Street.. are they the wrong corners? I thought Elvery's was always at the top of Dawson street? so the rollover pic shown is incorrect?
    If I'm wrong then I apologise!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

The 60s building with Elverys was knocked down for a monstrosity of an office block. Theres an Elverys rugby store on teh stephens green/dawson st corner but I think thats there only a few years. Theres an elverys up on suffolk st which isnt to far away from the site of the elverys in the original pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

neris wrote: »
    The 60s building with Elverys was knocked down for a monstrosity of an office block. Theres an Elverys rugby store on teh stephens green/dawson st corner but I think thats there only a few years. Theres an elverys up on suffolk st which isnt to far away from the site of the elverys in the original pic.

Right so my assumption was wrong then. That along with the HMV building changing were really wrong decisions then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have to agree with some earlier posters. I'm not one for chopping down trees, but they've really ruined some of the locations. They should be replaced by smaller ones that will not grow so huge.

I literal lol'd when I saw Christchurch in 2011 (or rather didn't see it).

Otherwise, not a whole lot has changed, the city is much cleaner and better for the most part (bar some obvious exceptions)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Great pics, must show them to the folks they'll love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I have to agree with some earlier posters. I'm not one for chopping down trees, but they've really ruined some of the locations. They should be replaced by smaller ones that will not grow so huge.

I literal lol'd when I saw Christchurch in 2011 (or rather didn't see it).

Perhaps some trees should go but bear in mind that the photographs are being taken from the same location as in 1961 and from that particular location the view is blocked. I'm sure a great photograph of Christ Church could have been taken if the photographer had a free hand regarding where to stand. I've gone past the cathedral 1000s of times and not once have I thought "what a shame I can't see the building because of all those trees".

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Class link

Advertisement