Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

KeithAFC wrote: »
    You could not sound more bitter if you even tried.

Are you saying I am wrong and that Rangers actually play good, stylish football admired by neutrals???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Are you saying I am wrong and that Rangers actually play good, stylish football admired by neutrals???
    Play good football in our own right. Good balanced football. Might not be brilliant to watch but it is effective.

Play good football in our own right. Good balanced football. Might not be brilliant to watch but it is effective.

I'm not saying it's not effective, it is definitely effective, but it is cannot be described as good by anyone except a fan, and even at that only by a fan who puts winning at all costs ahead of entertainment.

No neutral thought Greece's anti-football which won them Euro 04 was good, it was effective but it was horrible. So too with Rangers. As I said, it was described as "pig ugly" football in the Swedish media and they certainly can't be described as bitter because Malmo won.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

No Scottish team does.

It doesn't mean you can't enjoy a game at Ibrox.
    Some of the football we've shown is nice to watch and I don't see why we shouldn't be able to play some nice football.

Who gives a crap what the Swedish media thinks, it's not as if their league is known for it's silky football.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    No Scottish team does.

It doesn't mean you can't enjoy a game at Ibrox.
    Some of the football we've shown is nice to watch and I don't see why we shouldn't be able to play some nice football.

Who gives a crap what the Swedish media thinks, it's not as if their league is known for it's silky football.
    We played some fantastic stuff at the end of last season. Scoring plenty of goals. Just typical bitter talk from Celtic fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

We played some fantastic stuff at the end of last season. Scoring plenty of goals. Just typical bitter talk from Celtic fans.

The Swedish are Celtic fans?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    The Swedish are Celtic fans?

You speak Swedish now ?

If you want to look back on the Smith era with rose tinted glasses that is completely up to you, the fact is that Smith's anti-football had plenty of critics among Rangers fans too, whether you want to admit that or not. You won't find too many neutral sources praising Rangers style of play over the last 4 years but I would be easily able to find plenty of criticisms similar to that from Sweden. But as I say, if you think it was just bitter Celtic fans who dislike the type of football Smith introduced then you are free to believe that.

You speak Swedish now ?

Shockingly the Swedish can speak english

Shockingly the Swedish can speak english

It was in a Swedish newspaper, I doubt their articles are in English.

Funny enough the only other site mentioning this is a celtic site.
    Odd.

• Advertisement

The article mentioned talks about the disgraceful behaviour, as if Rangers were kicking everything that moved.

Biased ? I think so.

Do you even remember the game? If there had been a half decent ref Rangers would have ended the game with 7 men on the pitch and Malmo with 9. Whittaker and Bougherra saw red and Edu and Davis should also have walked. For a team to be fortunate to end a game with 2 instead of 4 red cards is pretty disgraceful by any standards.

If you want to look back on the Smith era with rose tinted glasses that is completely up to you, the fact is that Smith's anti-football had plenty of critics among Rangers fans too, whether you want to admit that or not. You won't find too many neutral sources praising Rangers style of play over the last 4 years but I would be easily able to find plenty of criticisms similar to that from Sweden. But as I say, if you think it was just bitter Celtic fans who dislike the type of football Smith introduced then you are free to believe that.
    Yes I think it is just bitter talk from Celtic fans. I laugh with the anti football claptrap. It is called playing to the teams strengths and doing what you can to win. I enjoy watching good defending.

It was in a Swedish newspaper, I doubt their articles are in English.

Funny enough the only other site mentioning this is a celtic site.
    Odd.

So, youre saying it isnt true?

Yes I think it is just bitter talk from Celtic fans. I laugh with the anti football claptrap. It is called playing to the teams strengths and doing what you can to win. I enjoy watching good defending.

You keep pretending it is just Celtic fans who make this "anti-football" claim, thats just not true. Lionel Messi said the same about Rangers, is he a bitter Celtic fan too?

You keep pretending it is just Celtic fans who make this "anti-football" claim, thats just not true. Lionel Messi said the same about Rangers, is he a bitter Celtic fan too?
    Messi is just bitter he could not score at Ibrox against The Rangers. A bit like all of Barcelona's players when a team doesn't bend over for them.

So, youre saying it isnt true?

I'm saying Rangers don't play 'pig ugly', yes.

Under Smith we played defensive with a very strict organisation at the back.
    But we were also capable of tearing teams apart if we wanted to (Which didn't seem to be the case that often though, partly due to Smith's need to constantly put players in the wrong positions).

I also remember Inter being applauded for keeping Barcelona at bay with true catenaccio.

Full team :
    McGregor
    Broadfoot Bocanegra Goian Wallace
    McCulloch Davis Edu Naismith
    Ortiz Jelavic

McCulloch and Edu in the same team, ****ING AGAIN ?
    Really getting pissed off with this, jobs for the boys it seems.
    It was the case with Smith, and McCoist just continues.

Ness was dropped because he has a groin injury, but McCulloch is carrying an injury too ffs.

Full team :
    McGregor
    Broadfoot Bocanegra Goian Wallace
    McCulloch Davis Edu Naismith
    Ortiz Jelavic

McCulloch and Edu in the same team, ****ING AGAIN ?
    Really getting pissed off with this, jobs for the boys it seems.
    It was the case with Smith, and McCoist just continues.

Ness was dropped because he has a groin injury, but McCulloch is carrying an injury too ffs.
    Need Jelavic and Ortiz to do the stuff upfront. Hopefully Davis can get too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

To anyone whinging at Rangers style of play I will say this your right at times it was dire for the neutral fan in fact at times it was dire for the Rangers fan but you know what like most fans of most teams I couldn't give a monkeys toss what neutral fans think it may have been hard to watch at times but it won three SPL titles when we were skint and going out of business according to all and sundry.

So if you ask any Rangers fans are they happy with the outcome then you will get a 100% yes and really that's what matters ;)

• Advertisement

McCulloch and Edu in the same midfield doesn't work, I can't believe McCoist doesn't see it.

edit: 2-1 in the final minutes to Maribor, meanwhile McCoist just sits there doing nothing.

I'm afraid he's not up for the job.

Utter pish in the 2nd half. We can't seem to put together a good 90 minute performance. It was shocking and embarrassing.

So if you ask any Rangers fans are they happy with the outcome then you will get a 100% yes and really that's what matters ;)

That's fair enough but I was just talking about neutrals watching Rangers. I can understand why a Rangers fan would be happy, it has been successful in the league. All I have been saying is it isn't the style of football that a non-fan can watch with enjoyment. I'd have said the same about a neutral wanting to watch Celtic under Mowbray, bad football and negative tactics are hard for a proper football fan to enjoy.

That's fair enough but I was just talking about neutrals watching Rangers. I can understand why a Rangers fan would be happy, it has been successful in the league. All I have been saying is it isn't the style of football that a non-fan can watch with enjoyment. I'd have said the same about a neutral wanting to watch Celtic under Mowbray, bad football and negative tactics are hard for a proper football fan to enjoy.

I hope your not insinuating I am not a proper football fan. Of course I would have loved it if we could have played open free flowing football as would just about every Rangers fan I have ever spoken to but Walter Smith used the tactics he thought best with the players he had available and it worked in the main so I will accept that

McCulloch and Edu in the same midfield doesn't work, I can't believe McCoist doesn't see it.

edit: 2-1 in the final minutes to Maribor, meanwhile McCoist just sits there doing nothing.

I'm afraid he's not up for the job.
    Oh come on what was he supposed to do you can't blame him for the stupidity of Naismith or the lackadaisical approach of our players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Disappointing results for yourselves and us and with Hearts getting hammered at home it makes you sad to see how far Scottish football has fallen :(.

What were Maribor like? Would you fancy your chances at home?

• Advertisement

I hope your not insinuating I am not a proper football fan. Of course I would have loved it if we could have played open free flowing football as would just about every Rangers fan I have ever spoken to but Walter Smith used the tactics he thought best with the players he had available and it worked in the main so I will accept that

No I am saying you are a Rangers fan. If a neutral fan was in Glasgow during the Mowbray period would you have advised them that they should go to watch Celtic's football? I certainly wouldn't have.

As for the tactics I think you are downplaying the quality Smith had, I think it was last season against Buraspor, Rangers really went for it in the first half and played some of the best football I have seen a Scottish team play in a long time. It was a pleasure to watch. The ability didn't come out of nowhere. When Rangers needed to they could play football, but Smith's tactics more often than not stifled that creativity.

I believe a more positive Rangers had a good chance of being just as successful in the league, provided better entertainment to the fans and without a shadow of a doubt I am certain that they would also have had a better European record than 1 win in, what, 24 or 25 games now? The ability for success plus good football was there but Smith didn't utilise it.

Oh come on what was he supposed to do you can't blame him for the stupidity of Naismith or the lackadaisical approach of our players

How about not fielding McCulloch, or at the very least take him off ?
    He never once did anything, he just sat there like a lost little boy.

No I am saying you are a Rangers fan. If a neutral fan was in Glasgow during the Mowbray period would you have advised them that they should go to watch Celtic's football? I certainly wouldn't have.

As for the tactics I think you are downplaying the quality Smith had, I think it was last season against Buraspor, Rangers really went for it in the first half and played some of the best football I have seen a Scottish team play in a long time. It was a pleasure to watch. The ability didn't come out of nowhere. When Rangers needed to they could play football, but Smith's tactics more often than not stifled that creativity.

I believe a more positive Rangers had a good chance of being just as successful in the league, provided better entertainment to the fans and without a shadow of a doubt I am certain that they would also have had a better European record than 1 win in, what, 24 or 25 games now? The ability for success plus good football was there but Smith didn't utilise it.

To a certain extent I agree but thats the great thing about this game whether your a Bear or a tic fan its all about opinions.

Oh and the comment at the start of the post was meant to be tongue in Cheek but I missed out the wee tongue sticking out face :o

How about not fielding McCulloch, or at the very least take him off ?
    He never once did anything, he just sat there like a lost little boy.

OK I could give you him but who would you have put in his place

henke wrote: »
    Disappointing results for yourselves and us and with Hearts getting hammered at home it makes you sad to see how far Scottish football has fallen :(.

Should win at home if we just attack them for 90 minutes. Completely gifted them that victory. But yes, Scottish football is awful at the minute.

• Advertisement

henke wrote: »

Yes if McCoist can get the discipline sorted both goals tonight were down to the lack of it

OK I could give you him but who would you have put in his place

Hutton, easily.

McCoist just said he saw the problems about the midfield, I can only hope he drops McCulloch forever and fixes it.

Hutton, easily.

McCoist just said he saw the problems about the midfield, I can only hope he drops McCulloch forever and fixes it.

Yeah Hutton is a good shout don't get me wrong I have never liked McCulloch and said at the start of last season whatever he had he had lost.
    Still feel its a wee bit to early to be making knee jerk reactions about MCCoist though

Is it ?
    2 out of 6 competitive games that we won.

Last night he said he saw the problems, I hope he fixes it.
    But if come this weekend McCulloch and Edu are back in the team then I've lost patience with him.

He surely will drop both of them?

That's what I thought, but he keeps using both of them.

I see the Aberdeen fan/s have been up to no good again on facebook.

I see the Aberdeen fan/s have been up to no good again on facebook.

Oh aye do tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I presume Keith is on about the facebook page mocking the Ibrox disaster. A disgusting page and a petition has been started on facebook to get this horrible page removed. The petition has almost 4000 friends already with many Celtic fans as well as Rangers fans voicing their disgust at that page. Good to see both sets of fans united against this bile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would expect any reasonable person, irrespective of which club they support, to sign that petition.

• Advertisement

Can anyone link the petition ?

Cheers, will sign it when I get home.

Scumbag Aberdeen fans, it's always the same.
    But when Novo taunts them they start crying.

I am not by nature a violent person but I wouldn't be bothered if this guy had a serious accident

McGregor; McMillan, Perry, Goian, Wallace; Ortiz, Naismith, Davis, Wylde; Jelavic, Lafferty.

Great team imo.
    McCulloch is injured, I hope that's not the only reason he's out of the team.

2-0 up :D
    Lafferty's goal supposed to be brilliant.

Great win. 3 good goals. Celtic got pumped at home. :D Top of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Good to see Lafferty back...and on the scoresheet.
    Hopefully he will pick up from where he left off last season.
    Great news for Northern Ireland too with the Serbia game less than a fortnight away!

28983253.jpg

Good to see the Daily Record keeping it's fine tradition of anti-Rangers crap alive and kicking.

Ban them Mr. Whyte, you know it makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I know that Maribor will get shot down because they didnt follow the proper procedures but was Bocanegra clear to play since he only completed the paperwork monday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement