Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Lennons lawyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Maybe because the majority now know that it was wrong and the young player you are talking about his parents have said it was abuse from both sides nut stressed the club have been great in protecting the young fells. You need to have a look at yourself you complain about what's happened on the past but you are being every bit as bad as the morons you describe.

I never said I'd give him abuse, just that I wouldn't support him, there's a distinction there. My point is simple, and its that I don't see how he can reconcile his own background with that of a club with the history Rangers have, and the beliefs that a section of their support still maintain

Don't get me wrong, if he does well in the first team, I'm sure the majority of Rangers fans will get behind him, however it inevitable that he will eventually have to hear his own supporters singing sectarian songs, songs specifically aimed at his nationality and/or creed
    See this is where I and many other people have a problem 1 what songs will he hear about his nationality and/or creed that are going to upset him so.and following on from that would it not be fair to say then that young British players would be upset to hear songs gloryfing terrorists who have killed and maimed many innocent Brits or does your argument only go one way. As far as I am concerned until fans on both sides cut any songs they sing that are hurtful no one can claim any sort of moral highground. As for your statement about the difference between you not abusing him and not supporting him standing by why others do abuse him is IMO pretty much as bad as abusing him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Lennons lawyer?

Correct, Paul McBride will be there keeping a close eye on his other client, a certain Mr McGregor.

Correct, Paul McBride will be there keeping a close eye on his other client, a certain Mr McGregor.
    Hope he enjoys the pumping of his beloved celts.

Hope he enjoys the pumping of his beloved celts.

I can't see Rangers improving that much from last season's Old Firm performances, it is a better Rangers squad compared to last year granted but McCoist is no Walter Smith. I expect it will be a tight game as long as McCulloch doesn't start.

• Advertisement

I can't see Rangers improving that much from last season's Old Firm performances, it is a better Rangers squad compared to last year granted but McCoist is no Walter Smith. I expect it will be a tight game as long as McCulloch doesn't start.

Can't think of any Rangers fan that wants him to start I would go with McKay even though he has had very little time on the park. As for not being much improved we aren't at the moment but thats not down to McCoist the fact we have played 27 different players so far this season has a lot to to with it and the main reason for all the changes has been injuries especially at the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Just because Rangers had a horrible past when it comes to Irish Catholics doesn't mean he should have felt some moral obligation to turn them down when they offered him a contract, we'd all be forever stuck in the past if that was the case.

Black people now play baseball, members of the PSNI now play GAA, women can now access most golf courses. To do so involves all these people having to accept that these sports previously discriminated against people like them and getting over that, so you shouldn't hold it against Smith for doing the same. Hopefully the lad will do well there, even if for no other reason that his presence in a Rangers (and Ireland) squad will further help to isolate the minority of idiots among both sets of fans.

In the face of of offers from other clubs, I would have thought the sensible thing to do would be to go elsewhere, both in terms of the hassle and based on the clubs past

Fair point about baseball, the PSNI and golf. However, were Black people and Women were banned by everyone or just one specific club? I'm assuming everyone as I don't know, this though if the case is slightly different
    See this is where I and many other people have a problem 1 what songs will he hear about his nationality and/or creed that are going to upset him so.and following on from that would it not be fair to say then that young British players would be upset to hear songs gloryfing terrorists who have killed and maimed many innocent Brits or does your argument only go one way. As far as I am concerned until fans on both sides cut any songs they sing that are hurtful no one can claim any sort of moral highground. As for your statement about the difference between you not abusing him and not supporting him standing by why others do abuse him is IMO pretty much as bad as abusing him

Well I would imagine songs like the Billy Boys for a start. The fact that UEFA have had to punish the club three times in the last five years for sectarian chanting by fans suggests it still remains an issue

What exactly have Celtic got to do with this argument? Regardless of whether or not Celtic fans's engage in chanting that causes offence, it does not mitigate the behaviour of certain sections of the Rangers support

I do agree with you, offensive chanting should be cut out on both sides, however there are grave differences in political and sectarian chants, both of which though I agree are equally unwelcome in football

In the face of of offers from other clubs, I would have thought the sensible thing to do would be to go elsewhere, both in terms of the hassle and based on the clubs past

Fair point about baseball, the PSNI and golf. However, were Black people and Women were banned by everyone or just one specific club? I'm assuming everyone as I don't know, this though if the case is slightly different

Well I would imagine songs like the Billy Boys for a start. The fact that UEFA have had to punish the club three times in the last five years for sectarian chanting by fans suggests it still remains an issue

What exactly have Celtic got to do with this argument? Regardless of whether or not Celtic fans's engage in chanting that causes offence, it does not mitigate the behaviour of certain sections of the Rangers support

I do agree with you, offensive chanting should be cut out on both sides, however there are grave differences in political and sectarian chants, both of which though I agree are equally unwelcome in football

So what is ir racist or sectarian And you do know that has not been sung since also I was making a comparison which sorry was perfectly valid also the last time Rangers were done there are certain doubts about the validity of it all but the club was punished and we are moving on.

So one song and he shouldn't have signed for us hhhhmmmm

Tell me do you get so upset with Bilbao

Still top and can still improve with the new players coming in and getting more games.

So what is ir racist or sectarian And you do know that has not been sung since also I was making a comparison which sorry was perfectly valid also the last time Rangers were done there are certain doubts about the validity of it all but the club was punished and we are moving on.

So one song and he shouldn't have signed for us hhhhmmmm

Tell me do you get so upset with Bilbao

I have no idea when it was last sung at a Rangers match, but I've certainly heard it sung by Rangers fans recently. And I find the sentence ''Up to our knees in Fenian blood'' a bit offensive yea. Why would anyone sing about killing people of a different religion?

The comparison you made was in no way valid. Essentially what you're saying is that Rangers fans shouldn't be condemned for singing sectarian songs because Celtic fans sing IRA songs. I don't sing IRA songs, so why the fcuk should I excuse the Rangers chants

So there are doubts (on Rangers side obviously) about the last time they were found guilty, they were still found guilty on two other occasions

Regarding Bilbao, is there selection policy any different to that of a national team? Do they discriminate based on religion? Bilbao are irrelevant to me because they're nothing to do with me. I don't know any Bilbao fans nor have I ever had any reason to

One point that I should make is that I've rarely had bother with Rangers fans from Glasgow, the one's I've generally had bother with are those from the Western Isles, who are usually a generation behind the rest of society anyway

• Advertisement

Why are you talking about the Billy boys? Have you not got anything interesting to discuss like this weekends OF game and what the teams will be like?

I have no idea when it was last sung at a Rangers match, but I've certainly heard it sung by Rangers fans recently. And I find the sentence ''Up to our knees in Fenian blood'' a bit offensive yea. Why would anyone sing about killing people of a different religion?

The comparison you made was in no way valid. Essentially what you're saying is that Rangers fans shouldn't be condemned for singing sectarian songs because Celtic fans sing IRA songs. I don't sing IRA songs, so why the fcuk should I excuse the Rangers chants

So there are doubts (on Rangers side obviously) about the last time they were found guilty, they were still found guilty on two other occasions

Regarding Bilbao, is there selection policy any different to that of a national team? Do they discriminate based on religion? Bilbao are irrelevant to me because they're nothing to do with me. I don't know any Bilbao fans nor have I ever had any reason to

One point that I should make is that I've rarely had bother with Rangers fans from Glasgow, the one's I've generally had bother with are those from the Western Isles, who are usually a generation behind the rest of society anyway

So Fenian means RC then ok.
    No one is denying we have had problems still do in fact but I believe that we are getting there. So you have heard Rangers fans singing it not at a game you haven't I am afraid no can legislate for morons outwith the Football ground certainly not Rangers.

No i didn't essentially say anything of the sort I posed a question of course Rangers and the fans are responsible for what happens with Rangers it seems to me rather than answer a simple question you go into denial mode which can be fairly prevalent among Tic fans at times. I would never ask you to excuse the songs that were sung in the past I don't by the same token don't ask me to excuse the songs that Celtic fans sing.

The thing with Bilbao is they are not a national team though and if Rangers many years ago were going to get into trouble with UEFA over there signing policy at the time then surely a club that refuses to sign players outwith it region of Spain are guilty to funny we don't see UEFA doing anything about it

Yes our fans who broke the rules the morons that they are cost the club but they will learn one way or another that it will not be tolerated

I don't know why Glasgow is so important but I will agree with you about the folk from the isles I know Tic fans from there who still think Roy Aitken is your captain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

1) Fenian is not a religion.

2) Every other team that sings that song uses the line "up to our knees in (insert club) blood".. Is that any worse?

No one is denying we have had problems still do in fact but I believe that we are getting there. So you have heard Rangers fans singing it not at a game you haven't I am afraid no can legislate for morons outwith the Football ground certainly not Rangers.

No i didn't essentially say anything of the sort I posed a question of course Rangers and the fans are responsible for what happens with Rangers it seems to me rather than answer a simple question you go into denial mode which can be fairly prevalent among Tic fans at times. I would never ask you to excuse the songs that were sung in the past I don't by the same token don't ask me to excuse the songs that Celtic fans sing.

The thing with Bilbao is they are not a national team though and if Rangers many years ago were going to get into trouble with UEFA over there signing policy at the time then surely a club that refuses to sign players outwith it region of Spain are guilty to funny we don't see UEFA doing anything about it

Yes our fans who broke the rules the morons that they are cost the club but they will learn one way or another that it will not be tolerated

I don't know why Glasgow is so important but I will agree with you about the folk from the isles I know Tic fans from there who still think Roy Aitken is your captain

Tbf, Fenian is often used alongside Tim to describe Catholics in Scotland

As you said, I haven't heard it at a game recently and your right in that that is in no way the fault of the club that fans sing it elsewhere. The fact still remains though that sections of the Rangers support still maintain this tradition

I'm not for a second saying that any offensive song sung by the Celtic fans should be condoned, however there is a significant difference in that these songs are not sectarian. That's not to say I condone them, but there is a distinction between political and sectarian views

Regarding Bilbao, I don't know much about it. As you said, it could be seen as discrimination against ''immigrants'' (I know its not a country)

My point about Glasgow related to what you alluded to above. Things are changing, and the changes will be noticed in the likes of Glasgow etc long before the likes of the Western Isles
    TheBuilder wrote: »

2) Every other team that sings that song uses the line "up to our knees in (insert club) blood".. Is that any worse?

Fenian is often taken to mean Catholic etc

No, its not worse as you get that in football, its based on rivalry, not religion. I've no problem with say Hibs fans disliking Hearts fans because they're rivals, its when they hate them because of their colour or creed that it becomes an issue, not that I think anyone with any sense should genuinely hate another person based on a footballing allegiance

Not exactly, it is used to describe Irish people in Scotland, the majority of whom just happen to be Catholics. I doubt many Rangers fans considered Catholics such as Lorenzo Amoruso, Nacho Novo, Dado Prso etc to be Fenians or Tims. Neither term is strictly speaking sectarian (well certainly not Fenian anyway, Tim may be a slightly grey area).

Not exactly, it is used to describe Irish people in Scotland, the majority of whom just happen to be Catholics. I doubt many Rangers fans considered Catholics such as Lorenzo Amoruso, Nacho Novo, Dado Prso etc to be Fenians or Tims. Neither term is strictly speaking sectarian (well certainly not Fenian anyway, Tim may be a slightly grey area).

I wouldn't consider Fenian or Tim to be offensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Lennons lawyer?

What??? Can you not use the quote feature yet?

Why? It was obviously aimed at the post above mine.

See this is where I and many other people have a problem 1 what songs will he hear about his nationality and/or creed that are going to upset him so.and following on from that would it not be fair to say then that young British players would be upset to hear songs gloryfing terrorists who have killed and maimed many innocent Brits or does your argument only go one way.

Why? It was obviously aimed at the post above mine.

Ah right, didnt notice at first glance. but still it only takes a second to quote the piece and then delete the text leaving the taxman. When im flicking back and over between different baords it makes it easier to follow.

• Advertisement

Interesting read. I wonder what the reaction would be if he made it at Rangers and got into the Irish squad

He'll get 100% from me if he makes the Ireland team and form the overwhelming majority of Irish fans. Probably be a few muppets that will have a go at him.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I don't think it'll be the Rangers fans that will give him stick for it.

Hopefully not but who knows

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Don't you just love the build up to an "old firm" game? :D Rangers fans posting on the Celtic thread and Celtic fans posting on the Rangers thread.... we should just swap threads for the week before these games. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

A lot of interesting reading on Rangers finances over the last 24 hours.

Administration might end up being the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No surprise really I hope they catch whoever is responsible
    In the same vein I hope they catch whoever is behind the malicious rumour that we are behind on the payments for Jelavic I have it on good authority from someone I trust that it is nonsense

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7174721,00.html
    Rapid Vienna have confirmed they have received the outstanding money for striker Nikica Jelavic's £4million transfer to Rangers.

You now have it on good authority that the malicious rumour was actually the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I was watching the STV news at 6pm and nearly splurted out my tea when they led with the Rangers insolvency story

also on the BBC Scotland news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Tough times indeed for Rangers. While I'd love to say I sympathise with your plight, various reasons (KeithAFC chief among them) prevent me from doing so.

Still, would like to see you sorting this out. If you don't, you're looking at Celtic domination of the Scottish league for the foreseeable future, which doesn't suit anyone really.

markesmith wrote: »
    Tough times indeed for Rangers. While I'd love to say I sympathise with your plight, various reasons (KeithAFC chief among them) prevent me from doing so.

Still, would like to see you sorting this out. If you don't, you're looking at Celtic domination of the Scottish league for the foreseeable future, which doesn't suit anyone really.

Nah, what you'll see is Peter Lawwell scaling back expenditure so that Rangers will be competitive otherwise you'd see an empty Celtic Park! He's been doing it for about 4 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

If Rangers go under, out of the ashes I could see them trying to apply for a place in the English leagues tbh.

• Advertisement

If Rangers go under, out of the ashes I could see them trying to apply for a place in the English leagues tbh.
    Every cloud and all that.

As you said, I haven't heard it at a game recently and your right in that that is in no way the fault of the club that fans sing it elsewhere. The fact still remains though that sections of the Rangers support still maintain this tradition

I'm not for a second saying that any offensive song sung by the Celtic fans should be condoned, however there is a significant difference in that these songs are not sectarian. That's not to say I condone them, but there is a distinction between political and sectarian views

Regarding Bilbao, I don't know much about it. As you said, it could be seen as discrimination against ''immigrants'' (I know its not a country)

My point about Glasgow related to what you alluded to above. Things are changing, and the changes will be noticed in the likes of Glasgow etc long before the likes of the Western Isles
    TheBuilder wrote: »

Fenian is often taken to mean Catholic etc

No, its not worse as you get that in football, its based on rivalry, not religion. I've no problem with say Hibs fans disliking Hearts fans because they're rivals, its when they hate them because of their colour or creed that it becomes an issue, not that I think anyone with any sense should genuinely hate another person based on a footballing allegiance
    Honestly I will give you Fenian even though I don't totally agree but Tim sorry no Tim to every Ramgers fan I know means Celtic fan you call yourselfs it there are forums with it on the name and also at least one shop As for the Glasgow thing I see where your coming from but if you lol at an arrest sheet after a Rangers Celtic game you tend to find most are from outwith Glasgow As for you calling the songs Political up toTBOTOB I will give as long as there are no add ons after that no sorry Think how many people are sickened when they here songs glorifying terrorism in Britain
    Anyway that's me on this topic I just hope Sundays game is remembered for the football

Dempsey wrote: »
    No surprise really I hope they catch whoever is responsible
    In the same vein I hope they catch whoever is behind the malicious rumour that we are behind on the payments for Jelavic I have it on good authority from someone I trust that it is nonsense

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7174721,00.html
    Rapid Vienna have confirmed they have received the outstanding money for striker Nikica Jelavic's £4million transfer to Rangers.

You now have it on good authority that the malicious rumour was actually the truth.
    Oh come on the payment was at most 12 days late that's nothing for any big company most will try and get a full month so it remains it was paid and Rapid didn't have a problem

To be fair I don't think we will go out of business totally administration seems most likely and if that happens it just means the fans will have to get behind the club even more

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

To be fair I don't think we will go out of business totally administration seems most likely and if that happens it just means the fans will have to get behind the club even more

Rangers will not go out of business, anyone who thinks they will is living in fantasy-land.

Oh come on the payment was at most 12 days late that's nothing for any big company most will try and get a full month so it remains it was paid and Rapid didn't have a problem

You've certainly changed your tune. You were behind on payments on Jelavic, so stop trying to bull**** around that fact or the other fact that your source is unreliable.

• Advertisement

You've certainly changed your tune. You were behind on payments on Jelavic, so stop trying to bull**** around that fact or the other fact that your source is unreliable.
    My source was not unreliable 12days is nothing and it was 12 days at the very most he said there was no problem he was right as Rapid confirmed you really don't know how big business is run if you think that was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Wonder why the media never reported that we're still waiting for the money from Bougherra's transfer.

Waiting with payments until the very last moment is a standard practics, both in football and in every other business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Rangers will most likely go into administration and be sold as a going concern to the highest bidder. In that scenario, surely the SFA will have to hand the club a points deduction, thereby handing the league to Celtic? Also, are the fans not organizing themselves to buy-out the club in such an event? If you ask me, this is a huge opportunity for the fans to reclaim their club.

My source was not unreliable 12days is nothing and it was 12 days at the very most he said there was no problem he was right as Rapid confirmed you really don't know how big business is run if you think that was bad

Oh ffs. Your source was bull****. It being 12 days or 6 months is irrelevant and you know it. The rumour was that Rangers fell behind on a payment for Jelavic and the fact is that they did. You coming out to 'clarify' what your source said now is just more bullshít.

Wonder why the media never reported that we're still waiting for the money from Bougherra's transfer.

Waiting with payments until the very last moment is a standard practics, both in football and in every other business.

Maybe standard practice for a club like Rangers or Hearts i.e. clubs with cashflow problems but I think you'll find that well run businesses will pay on time if there is a specific timeframe for repayments implemented into a contract like there was with Jelavic's transfer fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Nah, what you'll see is Peter Lawwell scaling back expenditure so that Rangers will be competitive otherwise you'd see an empty Celtic Park! He's been doing it for about 4 years now
    Either that or hes a money pinching so and so

Either that or hes a money pinching so and so

He's both

Maybe standard practice for a club like Rangers or Hearts i.e. clubs with cashflow problems but I think you'll find that well run businesses will pay on time if there is a specific timeframe for repayments implemented into a contract like there was with Jelavic's transfer fee.

Wrong.

Even the biggest companies in the world will wait with paying until the very, very last moment.

Oh ffs. Your source was bull****. It being 12 days or 6 months is irrelevant and you know it. The rumour was that Rangers fell behind on a payment for Jelavic and the fact is that they did. You coming out to 'clarify' what your source said now is just more bullshít.

12 days is feck all in this business, so get off your high horse. Find another stick to beat rangers with, there are plenty lying around after all

12 days is feck all in this business, so get off your high horse. Find another stick to beat rangers with, there are plenty lying around after all

To repeat myself, the timeframe is irrelevant, it was a late payment. Plain and simple. I dunno why everyone is getting so uppity about it since Rapid have made a statement about it. I'm not looking for a stick to beat Rangers with on this either, read back why I posted it.

To repeat myself, the timeframe is irrelevant, it was a late payment. Plain and simple. I dunno why everyone is getting so uppity about it since Rapid have made a statement about it. I'm not looking for a stick to beat Rangers with on this either, read back why I posted it.

I'm not getting uppity, its just you seem to have got really wound up over this which is a NOTHING and TRIVIAL matter. Thats all, calm down.

I'm not getting uppity, its just you seem to have got really wound up over this which is a NOTHING and TRIVIAL matter. Thats all, calm down.

I'm not wound up at all but I'm not going to let those two bullshítters off the hook because they waffle on.

Calm down, calm down.

At least allow the Rangers fans to have a dig in too :D

Wrong.

Even the biggest companies in the world will wait with paying until the very, very last moment.

So even the biggest companies continually wait until there is a possibility/threat of legal action before making repayments? :rolleyes:

So even the biggest companies continually wait until there is a possibility/threat of legal action before making repayments? :rolleyes:

When exactly did Rapid make legal threats ?
    Genuine question by the way, I can't read any articles about it at work.

And yes, even the biggest companies will wait until the very last possible moments to pay up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement